1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dirt roads for n00b in San Diego

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by kristoria, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nov 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    kristoria

kristoria [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello.

I am a complete noob. I just moved to San Diego (Jamul) from Canada and just bought my first Tacoma last week. A 2003 4x4, but I have no idea how to drive off road. I think I should begin by getting familiar with driving on dirt roads, and also by getting familiar with driving serpentine mountain roads in a truck.

I have driven proctor valley back and forth a few times and I am looking for other similar roads. I live in Jamul, so I know that there must be many unpaved roads in the vicinity. I am just a bit freaked out to just jump in and try something like the Mother Grundy Truck Trail or the Otay Mountain Truck Trail. Especially since I have idea what to expect. I need really, really stupid easy things to drive, something suitable for someone who has grown up in a metropolitan city. Something not too steep, nice unpaved, easy to maneuver roads that I can build my confidence and skill on.

Cheers!

2. Nov 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    SuazoYota

SuazoYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Southbay SD
    Vehicle:
    11 AC TRDOR 4X4 6SPD
    Not enough
    Otay truck trail is pretty easy and straight forward, the only thing about it is the Border Patrol use it alot and its a one way road so if someone comes from the opposite way one of you have to back up for the nearest turnout. And man if you sneeze on some parts of that road say goodbye, super steep cliffs with no guard rails. But really awesome views of San Diego and the ocean.
    Top near the towers
    IMG00752-20130410-1908_zpsa5432236_50412a197858e3d3bca62cf78876bbdd9684290d.jpg

there's also pine valley and Corral canyon out past Alpine. some pretty easy trails that gets you comfortable with driving on dirt, those places get crowded with dirtbikes and quads tho so try on a weekday
    Pine Valley
    DSC03204_zps42cff4c8_6db40e1b8275bed91987c41963e11045f62fcf9a.jpg

Corral Canyon
    DSC03431_zps715788be_3cb697b194de019ee7a095acb2123a7161e0da28.jpg

3. Nov 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    Socalrider600rr

Socalrider600rr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    13 access TRD 4X4
    Jack in the Box antenna ball
    This is a fun trail and I'm thinking about hitting it up with my new Tacoma. I used to drive that at night every day when I was deployed to border to assist BP. BE CAREFUL AND DON'T HAUL ASS. If you hit an agent, he isn't going to be happy. If you hit a scoot (ATV), it's going to be far worse for you. They drive carefully, do the same :)
    The front half facing the border is kinda tame. The back side the overlooks otay lakes though is really really narrow with steep cliffs. You may end up forcing an agent to back up a long ways to let you pass so be careful.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. Nov 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    kristoria

Member:
    Thank you SuazoYota and Socalrider600rr. If any of you are going to go and drive the trail again and wouldn't mind the company, I would appreciate the opportunity to ride along and get a feel for it before venturing out on my own.

"The front half facing the border is kinda tame. The back side the overlooks otay lakes though is really really narrow with steep cliffs."

Is it possible to just stay in the front half? Is there any place to turn around? I find steep cliffs rather scary. I'm definitely not going to be hauling ass... I just don't want to piss people off behind me for going so slow. That's the thing tho, the only way you learn is by doing. I'm not afraid of pushing myself to face my fears. I just don't want to get myself stuck in a situation that is over my head. The thought of being in a precarious situation and having an impatient BP agent is just not a good situation for me .. not yet anyway.

What about the dessert? I heard that ocotillo wells is a great place to learn. Has anyone heard anything about the 4x4 courses that are being offered? For example:
    http://www.4x4training.com

5. Nov 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    SuazoYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Southbay SD
    Vehicle:
    11 AC TRDOR 4X4 6SPD
    Not enough
    For otay truck trail its nothing too intense and when I went none of the BP agents bothered me or got bothered that I was there. You wont piss anyone off for going slow, i did see an idiot in his jeep hauling ass up there but when he got behind me i didnt let him speed me up. Theres a few spots along the way to let people pass and turn around or other trails to shoot off and wander on. The steep cliffs are exactly how they sound but its not a narrow road where your truck tires are on the edge. Heck yea the desert is a wide open learning spot, very few extremely challenging trails and youll know once you need to turn around or think twice about it. Canyon Sin Nombre is in Anza Borrego and is a perfect starting trail, Truckhaven has miles and miles of trails that aren't technical. Ocotillo is a great learning spot and ive heard of those courses before but ive personally havent done it. Most of it is just go out with a few buds and try what youre comfortable with, youll find out real quick what to do and not to do. Just like with everything else trial and error works best, learn from the mistakes and use common sense

6. Nov 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    SuazoYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Southbay SD
    Vehicle:
    11 AC TRDOR 4X4 6SPD
    Not enough
    Next time I go out I'll let you know to see if you wanna cruz out with me and few friends

7. Nov 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    THEYCALLMECRAIG

THEYCALLMECRAIG Go ahead, shred.

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    Stock as a rock.
    Let me know too!

8. Nov 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    kristoria

Member:
    Thank you. Yes, please let me know. I would appreciate it.

9. Nov 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    G3T LO5T

G3T LO5T Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    4" Maxtrac Spindles 3" All Pro Leafs 5100's Headlight Projectors HID Fogs K&N Short Ram Intake Flowmaster Exhaust PA Alpine
    Count me in too... Im usually open Saturdays...
    I just went there a few weeks ago but there isn't really an exit near the prison...

10. Nov 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

oh oh oh I wanna go too !! pick me pick me !!....:D

Welcome to TW & san diego new guy from canada, I don't know who the other noobs are but they're giving good advice, only been to otay once, it was ok i guess. I think you should make the drive to pine valley & first do the 14S02 CDF road just enough challenge to make you think a little but in no way bad enough to get into trouble, after you do that go across the freeway to Bear Valley, a little more challenging yet again nothing too bad, but I'd avoid it when wet, alot of clay which doesn't play nice when wet, shit I feel like hitting a trail right now honestly

EDIT: Carlos & Spence aren't noobs really they just dont live here on site like I do....:eek::eek:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  11. Nov 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Ok who wants to get dirty ??

12. Nov 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I do, but we're going to LA today, and i'm going hunting next weekend.

13. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

L.A. sucks

Wow, this place has really hit a wall if anyone even looked like they were going to hit a trail the lines would form to go, meh no biggie, i'll go alone & brave the outdoors for a few hours i guess

happy couch surfing gents

14. Nov 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    G3T LO5T

G3T LO5T Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    4" Maxtrac Spindles 3" All Pro Leafs 5100's Headlight Projectors HID Fogs K&N Short Ram Intake Flowmaster Exhaust PA Alpine
    I ended up going to Palomar Mountain/Ocotillo Wells... But I left around 1

15. Nov 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    THEYCALLMECRAIG

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    Stock as a rock.
    I was out at Plaster City and passed Pine Valley and thought about this thread.

16. Nov 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    synergy10

synergy10 @synergy10.sd

Member:
    San Diego
    I was about to start a thread similar to this one. Might as well ask if anyone plans on going out this Sunday. If so, can I tag along? If not, I still may go out to one of the trails mentioned here.

I've only taken my truck out once before. It was fully stock and in need of new tires. So I was afraid to try anything other than driving through the trail (a couple of guys with us went over some pretty steep obstacles and were "flexing" their trucks to check tire clearance).

17. Nov 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Just a heads up for the new local guys (& for local guys that don't know)here in san diego, the best way to keep current in our region for trail runs/meet & greets/local events etc: is to follow the link below to the SoCal san diego B.S. thread, this is where we generally start threads for trail runs etc:.....;)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/southern-california/124945-san-diego-b-s-thread-1540.html

18. Nov 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    synergy10

synergy10 @synergy10.sd

Member:
    San Diego
    Thanks! Will keep an eye on that thread as long as you guys don't mind rookies like myself slowing you down.:D

Looks similar to my first time off road. Definitely going to try and get out there this Sunday.

19. Nov 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Say it isn't so Gabe !! NO WAY in hell did that happen... or did it ???...

hucker....:p

No worries I don't mob much in the desert, I'm more of a technical/obstacle /crawling along kinda guy & when we do post up a run , we usually include trail difficulty & recommended type vehicle armor (sliders/skids/lockers/etc:) & not all runs are black diamond rated trails, we have runs for prerunners too, this time of year is dez season, thats where you'll find the haul ass guys...Me? I hang in the back & recover the dead/injured trucks scattered along the way...;)

20. Nov 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    THEYCALLMECRAIG

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    Stock as a rock.
    I'll reply to the S.D. B.S. Thread as well but is anyone going anywhere this weekend? Especially after this rain?

Products Discussed in

To Top