1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tasted off roading for the first time!!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TexBucki, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    TexBucki

TexBucki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Howdy everyone! I purchased a 2012 Super White Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport last year and love it! I took it out on the Mojave Road for a three day off roading adventure and even though I destroyed a tire (not off roading without some damage, right?) I am absolutely hooked and was curious if any of yall could maybe give me some insight on what I should do to upgrade the suspension, wheels, tires, etc. Thanks everybody!!

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Well there are a lot of options. What is your budget, how much lift, how difficult of trails, what size tire, etc.....

3. Nov 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    SAS, 37" tires, full armor and a few other things should set you up for anything you come across.
    Dont forget the plastiderp. That is most important.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Nov 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    RedNeck D

RedNeck D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    San Leon, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Multi
    Good tires are the best start in my opinion. Do some research and see what will work best for you. If you're serious off road person then some aggressive all terrains would maybe fit your build. If you're more of a daily with some weekend playing then some aggressive all seasons would be good. Mud player then get some big lug tires. If you play in sand you'll want something with a wider footprint and a strong sidewall. Most people talk of 35's but I believe 33's will get you by and cause less stress on your drive train.

Armor, it's all up to you. If you go offroad then you've accepted the possibility of damage. If you want to prolong the appearance of your truck, get some armor. If you're careful and have a spotter then you'll have less damage. Skid plates, look into them. Factory is not that strong and only covers the oil pan. There is a lot exposed under these trucks from what I've seen.

Lift isn't a bad idea. 2-3" should be plenty for most. Don't know how you play though and what you go to and over. Sliders could be a good combo with this lift.

I will assume you play in the desert so looking into sand recovery items and jacks would be a good thing. Honestly I'm kinda new at this stuff and if I've said anything wrong please, someone correct me. I'm still learning myself.

5. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    TexBucki

TexBucki [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Right now my budget is a couple thousand and the trails im looking at are less rocky and more sand/wash basin types of environments. Redneck, I was definitely thinking of a 3 inch lift. I know I am a complete newbie at this and appreciate the advice. I love my tacoma and really want to take it out for fun on the weekends.

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Go with a lift and keep stock sized tires because they are cheaper and will allow you to get more goodies for your truck.

7. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    OME lift kit, 33" tires, under armor, and a whole lotta common sense :)

8. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Dana 60 and go. Do it now

Products Discussed in

To Top