1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare tire area, air tank?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BoatRacer, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Nov 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    BoatRacer

BoatRacer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olalla WA
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 3.4 5-Speed
    All Pro front bumper, Warn winch, leds, Dakar leaf pack, locker wire mod.
    I'm running 37's and don't have a spare tire in the factory location, simply because it won't fit. There is a lot of room under there though ,and I'm looking into and air compressor and tank. I did some searching and don't see any aftermarket setups for installing a tank in that space. Is there one, or have any of you made something to fit there?

2. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I used a 3-gal tank from Sun Performance for my OBA system in my '84 4runner. Shaped roughly like a hot dog, it just fit forward of my 33" spare tire. The tank had a mounting flange that allowed it to be bolted to the floor pan with 4 short bolts. It had 4 or 5 fittings for attaching hoses, drain cock, safety valve, etc.

3. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    NOTE:
    When putting a tank under the bed like that - make absolutely positively certain its small enough (height wise) to fit under there without the rear diff hitting it when the suspension compresses.

Also: Remember that your 'bed' is composite. I would not mount it to the composite. You should mount it to something solid (frame rails or cross rail) which may limit your placement (and keeping the diff in mind).

My husband and I installed a small tank under the bed of our Jeep Wrangler. Not a lot of room under there. Custom built size (skinny and about 24" long) which only held 1.5 gallons.

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    BoatRacer

BoatRacer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olalla WA
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 3.4 5-Speed
    All Pro front bumper, Warn winch, leds, Dakar leaf pack, locker wire mod.
    The metal "X" brace between the frame rails where the spare tire cable winch mounts to is still there. I was hoping to mount one to that structure. Seems to me a fairly good sized tank could go in that spot, but I'm not confident in making my own enclosure. Even at 110 psi, things could get ugly if the welds failed. It would be nice to find a tank made for compressed air to mount there, I can't think of any shaped like that to use though.

Products Discussed in

To Top