Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Do I need to mod/replace anything for light off-roading?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
delukze is on a distinguished road
Name: Erman
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need to mod/replace anything for light off-roading?

Hi everyone!
I recently bought a 2014 4x4 Tacoma double cab Texas edition (no TRD off-road package). It's my first truck & I've never done any off-roading so I wanna start with trail riding & maybe move up from there but I don't intend on doing any mudding or rock climbing. Should I replace anything or is a stock Tacoma well capable?
I live in Houston, TX & there are not many off-road parks close by so I will only do it once in a while on weekends.
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the double post. Please delete this thread.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Not at all, our trucks are very capable offroad stock. The first thing i would do is get some good AT tires, i am not sure what the Texas edition comes with, maybe even go up a size in tires for a little more ground clearance.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You could add some skid plating, side bars ( or even better, sliders), and maybe an LSD unit in the rear. That would maintain your stock look and ride, and take some of the fear out of offroading.

Airing down to 15psi really helps, too. Get Power tank or some other means to air back up.

These will cost some money, but if you can afford a brand new truck, you can afford some goodies for it, right?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
TheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TheGoat's Tacoma Gallery
Don't the 2014s have brake assisted lsd front and back?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
You could add some skid plating, side bars ( or even better, sliders), and maybe an LSD unit in the rear. That would maintain your stock look and ride, and take some of the fear out of offroading.

Airing down to 15psi really helps, too. Get Power tank or some other means to air back up.

These will cost some money, but if you can afford a brand new truck, you can afford some goodies for it, right?
What are skid plating, side bars or sliders for?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's fine out of the box... do some light off-roading and get a feel for things. Upgrade to quality AT tires when the time comes and then start making a list of mods you might want to look into. There is no rush, your truck works well, and as you build experience and confidence you'll start getting a few ideas.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Rock sliders and a real skid plate to replace the tin can stock one.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
TheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TheGoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by delukze View Post
What are skid plating, side bars or sliders for?
skid plates protect your under body and sliders protect you rocker panels/pinch weld. sliders also help some at keeping your truck sides away from trees and other stuff.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
It's fine out of the box... do some light off-roading and get a feel for things. Upgrade to quality AT tires when the time comes and then start making a list of mods you might want to look into. There is no rush, your truck works well, and as you build experience and confidence you'll start getting a few ideas.
Thanks! It has BFGoodrich rugged terrain T/A now.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat View Post
skid plates protect your under body and sliders protect you rocker panels/pinch weld. sliders also help some at keeping your truck sides away from trees and other stuff.
Thanks for that! I guess sliders are better than the stock side steps?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by delukze View Post
Thanks for that! I guess sliders are better than the stock side steps?
The stock steps are bolted to the body. If you high center yourself you will bed them and maybe the body of your truck. Rock sliders are welded to the frame. They can hold the truck.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
http://3mauto.com/products/paint-def...ed6acsEq83VfxZ

Maybe protect the paint from scratches?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
delukze's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
The stock steps are bolted to the body. If you high center yourself you will bed them and maybe the body of your truck. Rock sliders are welded to the frame. They can hold the truck.
Got it!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Just posted this advice in another thread, but same applies here:
  • Take a class, preferably from this guy. It's spendy, but it's the best money you will ever spend.
  • Join a reputable club in your area. It doesn't matter the vehicle, only that they wheel responsibly and safely.
  • Don't always assume that somebody who has a modded truck or says they've been offroad 'forever' knows what they are doing. There's a bunch of idiots who believe doing things wrong enough times will produce a right answer.
  • Above all, you will need help and friends. Both for safety and learning.

It's hard to say what mods you will need because we don't know how far you will go with your vehicle. I was once you, and I started here, thinking that was the most I'd ever do... but now this is what I consider simple and I'm just finishing up this project.

It's really hard to say where the road will take you... be informed before you get there, and buy smartly only when you need to!

EDIT: and sell any side steps now, you will bugger them up
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
Tires and basic recovery gear.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
Spend your money on gas. Get out there and hit some trails. Go with a buddy and have some fun. Your truck will do fine and you'll quickly learn which mods you need or want. That being said, for any vehicle, good tires are the most effective upgrade you can make. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, and reroute the exhaust cross over pipe. I couldn't even go over a curb without scraping that POS. It's cheap to have a muffler shop do that.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Don't let these guys spend too much of your money before you go out there.

Carry some basic recovery and emergency gear. For example if you're going out into the desert, you'll want food and water. Especially water.

Recovery strap and a couple of shackles. (don't get one of those towing straps with hooks.) Spare key in case you get locked out in the sticks. 12v jumper battery in case you accidentally run down the battery.

I might upgrade my tires to a tougher all-terrain LT tire.

Carrying an air compressor so you can air down for better traction, then air back up when you get back to pavement.

Sliders, armor, all that stuff can wait. The best thing you carry with you is good judgement, and know when to

1. stop and survey the situation by walking into/through it before driving into it and
2. stop and turn around, and come back another time better equipped and with another person