1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Humble Pie - Land Rover Style

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by WOODEX M.E., Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dec 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    I hate to admit it, but I have to get it off my chest. I was at the off road park a few weeks ago and met up with a Land Rover LR3. They were good fellas and we both decided to have a go at a mud hole. The rover went first, barely made it through. He had to back up and go forward a few times, but he made it. Had the suspension at max height, all the buttons clicked. Stock wheels and tires.

So obviously I'm thinking I can do the same. I go into it and get suck immediately, hard. I even went in it in 4low with the diff locker engaged. We established afterwards that I was at a clearance disadvantage and had been hung up on the cross member, but still. I was humbled. I have stock tires and suspension as well, but I had always considered the TRD to be one of the most capable off readers on the market. Maybe this is me coming off of having a 1st Gen (2004 TRD).

The rover was nice and winched me out. Just putting it out there because well, I was impressed with the Land Rover and disappointed with the Tacoma. I think I am mostly sad that the new TRD is less capable than the old one.

2. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    Could have just been luck. But hey, you can get a Land Rover LR3......and drive it to the shop every month...... and pay out the ass when you pick it up. :D

3. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Hahahaha yeah I know, I know, but I was still impressed. I also didn't think its electronic diffs and junk could out do my locker. At least I know I would dust him on the street in a drag lol. There is something to be said for that too.

4. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Land rovers are no joke. Those are the things they drive in remote areas of other countries. But it cost a bit more.

5. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    my boss has a land rover and he out beats me off-roading everytime.. the weight..short wheel base .. it wins everytime!..

6. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    Pearcem87

Pearcem87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    My Dad has been an avid LR guy for the past 30 or so years. I grew up driving Defenders, Series I-III's, Range Rovers (1st and 2nd Gen), and Discoveries (1st and 2nd Gen). They are no joke off road, and the new ones are WAY more capable than 99% of the average buyers even consider thinking of using them for. The LR3's in particular are pretty solid, quite a few off road magazines have said that the traction control sytem is hands down the most effective and advanced in a production vehicle. That being said, every single one of ours (Except the old 60's and early 70's) broke all the time. Usually minor stuff, but still a big pain. They leaked all the time, even somehow if it wasn't actually raining, and the electronics were spotty at best. My Defender had a "Porous block", so I had to do a full swap on the engine with a Range Rover 4.6. The last ones we had were in the early 2000s, and obviously a lot has changed since then, but the reliability was mediocre at best. That being said, no shame in one of the best factory off road rigs being pulled out by one of the other best off road rigs!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Wow, well I am glad to see that I am in similar company. lol. Too bad tho for us I guess. Its actually nice to see some replies that are not 10000000% biased and all like "You must off road like crap" and "He must have been modded" or other excuses. Got beat fair and square.

You know the kind of excuses you see on the Chevy Colorado forums when they claim all kinds of outlandish stuff when comparing the Colorado vs Tacoma. Its actually quite comical some times.

8. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:

Hey thanks for the ending props! And as far as the Defender goes, I know those things are unstoppable! But I seriously was NOT expecting that kind of capability from the LR3, I had always seen it as a grocery getter in comparison. I didn't even know it had the ride height kit like some of the more exp. models.

9. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    you're a prerunner. no shit he beats you off road...

and I hate short wheel base vehicles. The 2dr jeeps look like a night mare. watching one try to rock crawl. having a longer wheel base (love the wb of my 1st gen, 121") but not too long like a DCLB i have noticed has been a huge advantage

10. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I am a prerunner w/ ARB air locker in rear .. you would be amazed at what a locked prerunner could do :)...

11. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    There's really no "magic offroad prowess" that one company holds over another. Offroading pretty much comes down to clearance and grip. What the Tacoma has over other brands is dependability, a HUGE market segment, and a pretty fair price. Get some decent tires and a bit more clearance and you'll do just fine.

12. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    the exact same thing my truck does before i throw it in 4wd. so im not amazed at all, i have the same thing

which guess what...isnt much, especially when you compare it to a 4wd land rover...

just sayin

13. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    It's quite possible the LR3's Goodyear Wrangler HPs marginally are better than the BFG Rugged Fails in the mud.

You sure his tires were stock? From what I read, because the LR3 is heavy, the stock Wrangler HPs wear out after just a year / 10,000 miles. It doesn't take much to upgrade to a better tire.

14. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    well I haven't had a problem with it.. unless I go mudding.. but then I have maxtrax and hi lift and recovery gear for that..

15. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    very understandable. its a regional thing.

i like to pretend i go rock crawling...which step one is to have 4wd and low range.

16. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    yea the only thing here is red dirt clay and small rocks.... my next step is a winch w/ hidden hitch..

17. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    when I lived in Virginia, I wheeled more with a land rover group than I did with the Tacoma group. not that I don't like all of the Tacoma guys, the LR guys just have more meets. good friend also has one, so I get to work on his (mod, not repair) all of the time.

if I were to buy a stock vehicle that wasn't a Toyota, I think i'd go for a rover. i'm constantly impressed with them, and it is a far more enjoyable (and generally more knowledgeable) crowd compared to the jeep groups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy's Discovery II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

however, sometimes it still takes a Tacoma to rescue them ;)

[​IMG]

18. Dec 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:

You are right, that isnt what he had on there. I don't remember what they were but, it was a distinct tread (looked like a highway/sport tire). It was def. not aggressive off road. In fact looking at them I was amazed they were doing what they were doing. I do remember he was on 19inch wheels, so it looked ridiculous lol. But hey it worked.

19. Dec 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    Pearcem87

Pearcem87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    I have found this to be true as well. The rovers are so much more of a niche that most of the people who actually use them off road are very passionate and knowledgeable about them.

And to the OP, I believe the LR3 was actually the first vehicle on the US market with adjustable air suspension (for off road purposes, not air bags for leveling). I remember thinking the same thing about the LR3 when they first came out. I assumed it would be inferior to the Disco because of the independent suspension, focus on luxury and creature comforts, etc. Our go to guy at the Land Rover dealership told me that I was wrong, and actually let my dad and me take one out on one of their trail days, and it blew me away. LR makes great vehicles that will always have a soft spot in my heart. If you really think about all the major international off road racing and competition, Jeep, LR, and Toyota are the ones with the heritage and pedigree.

20. Dec 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Were they Michelin LTX AT? :) A tire doesn't need to look aggressive to perform well off-road.

Products Discussed in

To Top