Harbor Freight 8000lb cable winch?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
TerranAce007 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Andrew
TerranAce007's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight 8000lb cable winch?

Would something like this be worth having in the truck while off road if I don't want to invest in a bumper-mounted electric winch? Could it be used to get unstuck for light off-roading?

http://www.harborfreight.com/8000-lb...uller-543.html
Old 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it's called a come-a-long, and well worth the investment.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I'll just say that mine let me down when I was here. Stupid thing would bind up and flex.
Slight downhill on the passenger side. I would have powered it out in reverse, but big boulder off the passenger bumper as well.

the hand winch worked at moving the boulder, though. One hell of a workout.

After that, I bought the Hi-Lift and the Hi-Lift ORK kit.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
dm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the sheddm1215al is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
dm1215al's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try this hand winch if you don't want a elec. bumper mounted winch.
ARB Magnum Hand Winch - ROUGHGEAR.COM

It will still be a workout, but much better than the drum come a long, those things are crap.
You have about 60' of pull without having to reset.
Also you can use it for all kinds of things, add a block to double the load.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That thing is cool but not a whole lot cheaper than an electric winch
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i carry two of the HF 4 ton puller with me. there is a big difference between an 8k cable puller and an 8k winch. however, they have endeed saved me a number of times. however, i have found them to be most usefull when used along side of an actual winch.

Example. used the winch and the come-along to get me out of this sticky spot without a scratch

You can see the com-along off of my rear bumper wing.

so to sum it up, i have found that they are not so great for a strait pull to get you unstuck, but work very well to persuade the vehicle in a certain direction while something else provides the forward motion.

A hi-lift jack and the chain kit for it will provide a much better means of pulling than an 8ooo lb come-along.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Dma251 is on a distinguished road
Dma251's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, a high-lift jack with chain is a more useful item to have, but I must admit I did a recovery once with come-alongs. They will do the job, but worry about the load on the wire cable. Harbor-freight has been known to exaggerate their ratings....

It's Better to have one then to not, however.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Come-alongs are great. I use them all the time to lift engines and transmission. But don't trust the H.F. crap. Watched a friend almost loose a hand lifting an engine. The engine was only 2 tons and the H.F. come-along was a 4ton. The thing folded and snapped his hand was almost crushed. I had told him to get a good quality come-along. But he was cheap and did not listen. After he almost lost a hand he did what I had told him and bought a real come-along. Not cheap but safety is more important that money.

Products Discussed in this Thread