Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Remote Camping Sites in Northern California

Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
grubburg is on a distinguished road
grubburg's Tacoma Gallery

Anyone know any good camping sites in California that are pretty remote, meaning there isn't someone camping 10 feet away from you?
I should add
- in the Sacramento area + 3 hours driving (Tahoe Nat'l Forest, Plumas Nat'l Forest, El Dorado Forest, etc...)
- I have a 4x4, but no experience driving off road, so nothing serious/crazy
if so please send a link to your recommendation!
new to the forum...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubburg View Post
Welcome Grub, if you ask the same question over in the Norcal thread and maybe the Sacto thread I'm sure some folks would help you out. You can also come to the Mod Day next month that I helped organize, you can meet a bunch of Norcal peeps and ask them too. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...-feb-22nd.html
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
CGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Avionics Tech
Name: Phillip
CGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Faucherie lake. Fun little day trip or stay the night. First time I took my taco off road when i got it in 07 other than prairie city.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
that looks awesome man! http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tahoe...55618&actid=79 how "rough" is the road?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
CGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Avionics Tech
Name: Phillip
CGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing too bad. stock tacoma would be fine
Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Razer is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AC&W Radar Maintenance
Name: Martin
Razer's Tacoma Gallery
Middle Fork of the Feather River just the other side of the Milsap Bar bridge is a small campsite with excellent trout fishing. I pulled a 17" German Brown out of the creek just south of the campground. There is a another creek that splits off and goes west just north of the bridge. I've never seen more than one other camper there, too far for most folks to drive I guess.

Google it in maps, should pull right up. If not then 39.709489, -121.271338 .

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Razer's Tacoma Gallery

I suppose I should have mentioned it's just above Lake Oroville. You did say you were new to the area...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
mokelumne river, just below the dam, easy access via dirt road, fishing in real good, hardly anyone goes there, various nice spots....there is a small town/village not far away, kinda a roadside stop with nice restaurant, been there several times...
Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
taco newb
xxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Boomer
Name: Titus
xxxotiknightz's Tacoma Gallery
Are you just looking for sites you can drive to? I know I hiked out to lake aloha and it was amazing.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Middle Fork of the Feather River just the other side of the Milsap Bar bridge is a small campsite with excellent trout fishing. I pulled a 17" German Brown out of the creek just south of the campground. There is a another creek that splits off and goes west just north of the bridge. I've never seen more than one other camper there, too far for most folks to drive I guess.

Google it in maps, should pull right up. If not then 39.709489, -121.271338 .

Good luck!
here? http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...r%20Campground

their website says the usage is "heavy."

that's super cool it's free.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotiknightz View Post
Are you just looking for sites you can drive to? I know I hiked out to lake aloha and it was amazing.
yeah-drive in. i backpack too, but most friends don't like it.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
taco newb
xxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Boomer
Name: Titus
xxxotiknightz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubburg View Post
yeah-drive in. i backpack too, but most friends don't like it.
I know the feeling. Its hard to find anyone who wants to go backpacking. what area are you in?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Razer's Tacoma Gallery

Not sure why they graded usage as 'heavy', I usually go Mar-April and have the place to myself during the week. It may fill up in the summer, I've never been there at that time.

The creek or fork just south of the campground goes up the side if the mountain, lots of good pockets to fish on the way up. I've never climbed more than halfway before I had a creel full and headed back down.

Bring your waders for the creek north of the bridge. Then again, with the snow pack as low as it is you might not need them.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotiknightz View Post
I know the feeling. Its hard to find anyone who wants to go backpacking. what area are you in?
sacramento
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Not sure why they graded usage as 'heavy', I usually go Mar-April and have the place to myself during the week. It may fill up in the summer, I've never been there at that time.

The creek or fork just south of the campground goes up the side if the mountain, lots of good pockets to fish on the way up. I've never climbed more than halfway before I had a creel full and headed back down.

Bring your waders for the creek north of the bridge. Then again, with the snow pack as low as it is you might not need them.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.
will powerbait work?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #17
Razer's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the best luck with a 1/16oz black rooster tail and 4lb test line.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #18
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Dude there are so many places to camp within 3 hours of where you are. It really all depends on what kind of camping you want (primitive, amenities, etc) and what kind of activities you want your camping to be centered around (water activities, hiking, scenery, etc). What are you looking for?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Dude there are so many places to camp within 3 hours of where you are. It really all depends on what kind of camping you want (primitive, amenities, etc) and what kind of activities you want your camping to be centered around (water activities, hiking, scenery, etc). What are you looking for?
1. no one around (I hate having people 10 feet away)

2. rivers are nice

3. away from civilization, so I can see the stars

4. rafting/tubing/fishing are a bonus.

5. ability to drive up

6. forest is cool, but I like other geographies as well (Oakland, desert, etc.)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
mokelumne river, just below the dam, easy access via dirt road, fishing in real good, hardly anyone goes there, various nice spots....there is a small town/village not far away, kinda a roadside stop with nice restaurant, been there several times...
Which dam, Salt Springs?