1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trail Gear V. Inchworm Crawlbox

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by capetaco12, Jan 20, 2014.

?

crawl box?

1. Trailgear

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Inchworm

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  3. continue with the 231/300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    I am finnaly going to add a crawlbox after 5 years. Innitially I had collected parts for a 231/dana300 box (minus the adapters) that would leave me with no drive shafts mods and doubler. However now that the price of these things has dropped by a big amount I would rather stay stock parts for ease of repair later on. Another factor in ditching the 231/300 combo is that I no longer have to pay for driveline mods!

I contacted Davez Offroad and I can have a Case built for $800 with the 23spline imput. This case has a core charge of $150. Which is reasonable considering buying a case and shipping. So effectively his case is $950 without the shifter. Add $40-50 and shipping which the calculator says $50.
    So all said and done its roughly $1050 shipped.

The inchworm case as far as I can tell starts at $1250 + shipping. This case has had major bearing issues that have supposedly been resolved. So if the shipping is the same it will be $300 more than the TG one.

Anyone have some good imput that can help me out?
    Im leaning more the the TG one because it is $300 cheaper, however it hasn't been out long and I have not heard any reviews on it.
    Comments?

2. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    If you choose a setup in the poll please say why.

3. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    I should start with, I don't know about the 231/300 setup, but I do know a little about the others.

I chose Inchworm for a couple reasons. First, their customer service is awesome. Also, their crawl box design (in my opinion) oils the box better than any other design.

As far as bearings go, all the manufacturers have had problems. Advanced adapters and Trailgear use a stock, single row bearing. This bearing ends up allowing the end loading to take the output shaft to go slightly out of alignment. This ends up causing fretting on the output shaft, which can lead to failure.

On the other side of the story, there is Marlin and Inchworm. Both of these companies work together on their setups. Both tossed the single row bearing in favor of Marlin's HD double row. The problem with this bearing is that, though it is very very strong in radial loading, it cannot handle thrust loads. This is because the ball bearings are inserted into the race via a filling slot. So, when a thrust load is applied and the filling slot lines up, you can toss ball bearings. This happened to me last November.

Now, however, some of us on TTORA did our homework and discovered that a Conrad style 5209 fits perfectly in the adapter. These bearings are made by two major manufacturers and have all of the benefits of the Marlin bearing, but can take thrust loading as well. The manufacturers are Nachi and MRC. At this time, Inchworm has switched over to the Nachi bearing and has sent out it's first unit in that configuration (to Ponethousand) I believe that this bearing will work well, but I also believe that the MRC would work better. This is because, in an oiled configuration, the Nachi bearing has a max RPM of 5400 and the MRC has a max RPM of 6800 (which matches the Marlin). Theoretically, you could overspin the Nachi, whereas you can't the MRC.... theoretically. But, overall, I think that Inchworm's bearing solution is better than the competition.

My two cents...

4. Jan 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Side note you can buy an inchworm case from Polyperformance with 10% off discount. Actually everything on their site is 10% if your a pirate4x4 member.

5. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Subscribed to learn more.

6. Jan 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
  7. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Well I have determined that the TG one is not worth saving the $300. Like lumpski said the old style adapters just don't get enough support with a single bearing. I don't want to have to deal with the failure that can cause.

The 231/300 idea is just to much work. Posted below. Plus I would need to figure out my speedo. But cable shifters would be mint

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...ota-w-o-adapters-hybrid-r150-ax15-tranny.html

So it looks like Inchworm is the way to go.

8. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Totally new to this, so have to ask a question or two...

Is this Inchworm a second gearbox that gives an additional gear reduction? And if so I could retain my stock 3.73 axle ratios for good highway gearing and then go into low range on two units and have a really good low speed/high torque for crawling?

Interested in something like this OR just a higher ratio low range in the standard transfer case.

All I had considered previously is swapping to 4.56 ratio R&P in both axles for a bit of improvement in low range, but this also means higher RPM all the time while driving down the highway for that marginally small improvement when needing to go slow.

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Yes its a second case unit. You will have the option of a stock 2.56 to one low a 2.28 to one. Or a 2.28x2.56 for an ultra low. I went from 3.55s in the diff to 4.56s and I lost fuel economy even with 33s. Off road is marginally better. But not enough for me IMO I would do a crawl box before axle gears if your happy with street driving.

10. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Very good info there.
    I'll also be in the market for a crawlbox in the near future to mate with the twin-stick FJ case sitting in my garage.
    Good to know the bearing issues been addressed. :thumbsup:

11. Mar 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Went with the Inchworm box, showed up Monday night:cool: With poly performance I got the 23 spline input and output. The extra $200 Is worth the piece of mind. With the Pirate 4x4 discount code it ended up costing $1419.00 shipped to my door. It even came with a shifter.

Has the new style bearing.

12. Aug 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    Installed yet? Pics? Review?

13. Aug 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
    I've got a TG setup with 4.7's that was right at $1200 shipped to my door. All went together as advertised. Went with it because Inchworm and Marlin were looking at a 2 month wait and I've heard positive things about the TG setup if you use the correct lube on the coupler.

14. Aug 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    I haven't installed it yet. I Got the Box all set up with a New transfer case because my current one needs replacement. Its sitting ready to go in I shortened my front shaft already, I just have been busy with the boat and racing so this is going to be put off till the fall I think:(

15. Aug 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Get the inchworm box like I see you already did. There are places to save money on the truck and there are other places to pay for quality and the tcase is one of those areas to spend money. Trail gear is good for cheap armor and things like that, when it comes to precision machined parts stick with the people who invented the crawler (marlin and inchworm), you also can get the total spline input with the inchworm setup which CANNOT be retrofitted to work with trail gears coupler. The total spline input prevent the input from stripping out (Google marlin total spline). I had an input strip on the street due to a botched install on my part. It happens 30miles from my house and the tow was 300+bucks and it was a week before I was supposed to go on 1000mile wheeling trip. Moral of the story spend money on quality stuff and install it correctly.

16. Oct 6, 2017 at 5:01 AM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4

Connor, I can't find a difinitive answer for oil capacity w/ a TG crawl box. I was told the transmission dead space adds roughly 1qt of oil. I'm guessing 2 quarts total is good but wanted to get a better idea. I'm 2 lazy for the "remove fill plug and fill till it runs out."

17. Oct 6, 2017 at 5:16 AM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 [OP] .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
  18. Oct 6, 2017 at 6:07 AM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
    It’s closer to 1.5 from my experience. If I remember correctly, I threw two quarts through the shifter last year and it puked quite a bit out the shifter base when I hit the highway. This spring I filled it through the shifter with the fill plug out and it took about 1.5 until it ran out. That bastard is annoying to get to so I fully understand the lazy factor

19. Oct 6, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Thank you sir!

20. Feb 23, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    Pardon my ignorance but in english what is the difference between crawl box vs regear vs locker. Sorry in advance im tryna learn

Products Discussed in

To Top