Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

*THE RTT Owners Thread(With BS)*

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #641
VATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
VATACOEXP's Tacoma Gallery
CVT is a solid company I'd go with them or ARB.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #642
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing against CVT. But don't overlook Tepui. from personal experience I can say the have been awesome to work with and have some great products. Their new Ruggedized versions are something that I think sets them apart from most of the other options out there.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #643
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Nothing against CVT. But don't overlook Tepui. from personal experience I can say the have been awesome to work with and have some great products. Their new Ruggedized versions are something that I think sets them apart from most of the other options out there.
From what I've seen from owners of both, it seems like you can't go wrong with either.

CVT just happens to be cheaper at the moment.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #644
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Took the RTT out last weekend. The fiance and I went shooting @ Lake Pillsbury, CA and brought it with us for some solid afternoon napping

I just have it mounted to Yakima Racks on the camper for now. Soon to be upgrading to a full Slimline Frontrunner Rack system. We've used it plenty of times and for our weight the Fiberglass shell does great.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #645
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
It would be pretty sweet to shoot from the tent ^
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #646
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I haven't had to deal with Tepui since my purchase...which says good things about their product. The ruggedized has been an awesome improvement. Everything just feels solid. I wasn't worried about my old tent other than the frame. I could see some buckles and stitching eventually wearing out. The wrapped frame makes the tent feel complete on the inside. I don't think it's worth the extra $400 but there wasn't anything to compete with it at the time. The orange has grown on me and I don't regret the purchase.

I went with the ruggedized because it was an improvement. Something the other tent companies didn't seem to be doing. The frame being the biggest factor for me. It barely moves in heavy wind now. CVT has now made the thicker frame standard and I would probably be going with them during the group buy because of the huge discount.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #647
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Meh RTT has yet to be tested in the heavy rain or wind so i can't say much in those terms. i've used it 3 times so far but this weekend we head to GA with some guys and It'll be my home for the next 2.5 days. Hopefully have some more pics and assessments to make on it in particular.

If i ever had to get another one idk which one i'd go for really.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #648
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
It would be pretty sweet to shoot from the tent ^
Haha I thought about it! The lady was up there with some binoculars to let me know where I was hitting @100yrds. We'll have to try that next time though!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #649
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #651
Ill post pictures of it in my "living in baby taco" thread tomorrow. I just got a huge strip of awesomeness haha. Party taco.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #652
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
Killer shot! Looks great!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #653
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Model: CVT Mt. Hood
Awning: ARB
Mount: Leer 100XQ Cap w/ integrated Thule Rail system
Fairing: Home Depot misc. parts and OEM Rack
Ha I think ive finally found a camper shell.
and it was pretty low in price. only thing its a white shell instead of black.lol should be going to get it Saturday!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #654
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
I need tk buy more led strips as well
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #655
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody open their Tepui Autana with the ladder off the rear of their Tacoma? We have used ours a couple of times now and have noticed that the Annex bunches up against the side of the truck. It seems to us like it is not opening up all of the way. This becomes a problem during those summer torrential downpours. Water puddles in the folds around the seams and eventually leaks inside on the floor of the annex. This only happens with a sustained heavy rain of more than 30 minutes. Unfortunately this has happened every time we have used the tent so far.
Notice in the pic below how the annex is curved along the bedside. At the bottom of the annex, it is bunched up around the tire of my truck.

Just wondering if we mount the tent so that it opens off the rear, the annex will open up all of the way and allow the bottom to spread out properly. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #656
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodane View Post
Ha I think ive finally found a camper shell.
and it was pretty low in price. only thing its a white shell instead of black.lol should be going to get it Saturday!
Don't know where you live, but their is a black shell in the Tulsa, OK craigslist for $150
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #657
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Does anybody open their Tepui Autana with the ladder off the rear of their Tacoma? We have used ours a couple of times now and have noticed that the Annex bunches up against the side of the truck. It seems to us like it is not opening up all of the way. This becomes a problem during those summer torrential downpours. Water puddles in the folds around the seams and eventually leaks inside on the floor of the annex. This only happens with a sustained heavy rain of more than 30 minutes. Unfortunately this has happened every time we have used the tent so far.
Notice in the pic below how the annex is curved along the bedside. At the bottom of the annex, it is bunched up around the tire of my truck.

Just wondering if we mount the tent so that it opens off the rear, the annex will open up all of the way and allow the bottom to spread out properly. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have my Autana mounted to open off the rear of my trailer in the way you described. I prefer it this way on the trailer because it allows better access to the trailer from inside the annex with the rear wall unzipped.

It doesn't curve around the back of the trailer like yours does against your bedside but unfortunately even with it opening off the back of your truck, it will probably still have the same folds that are catching water. The only way to avoid that is to have the hinge of the tent farther outboard than the side of the truck or back farther than the tailgate of the truck so that the annex can come straight down. Even then, if your tent isn't mounted high enough to stretch the annex out to its full height you'll get some compression folds that will catch rain.

Only thing I would say is to see if you can slide your tent farther to the hinge side on your bedrack and see if it gets better. Or try it opened off the rear of the truck and see if it's any better. But my gut says you have the same problem, but you might be able to minimize it slightly.

The other downside to having it open off the rear is the width of the tent footprint when closed. You'll rub it against trees and other stuff more often with it in a rear opening configuration since the closed footprint isn't square.

Noticed the width of the tent here:

Versus here (side opening configuration)
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #658
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have my Autana mounted to open off the rear of my trailer in the way you described. I prefer it this way on the trailer because it allows better access to the trailer from inside the annex with the rear wall unzipped.

It doesn't curve around the back of the trailer like yours does against your bedside but unfortunately even with it opening off the back of your truck, it will probably still have the same folds that are catching water. The only way to avoid that is to have the hinge of the tent farther outboard than the side of the truck or back farther than the tailgate of the truck so that the annex can come straight down. Even then, if your tent isn't mounted high enough to stretch the annex out to its full height you'll get some compression folds that will catch rain.

Only thing I would say is to see if you can slide your tent farther to the hinge side on your bedrack and see if it gets better. Or try it opened off the rear of the truck and see if it's any better. But my gut says you have the same problem, but you might be able to minimize it slightly.

The other downside to having it open off the rear is the width of the tent footprint when closed. You'll rub it against trees and other stuff more often with it in a rear opening configuration since the closed footprint isn't square.

Noticed the width of the tent here:

Versus here (side opening configuration)
Thanks for the advice and input Adam. I agree with you on all your points. I didn't even think about the tent footprint when closed. I definitely don't want that.
I guess i can slide the tent over like you described so that the hinge is further outboard. I'll give that a go in a couple of weeks when head up to FDR State Park.
It's either that or gain some height in the lift department. I know I want the 1 1/2" AAL's from Wheelers. That will stretch out the annex a tad bit.

Thanks for saving me the time I would have wasted mounting the tent off the rear. I agree that probably won't help that much.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #659
Neighborhood Know-it-all

more lift won't help you much either. It might allow you to stretch the annex out a little to get rid of some of the compression folds, but it will still have to curve around the bedside unless you mount the tent so the hinge is out past the side of the bed.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #660
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have my Autana mounted to open off the rear of my trailer in the way you described.
I really need you to stop posting pictures of your rig...soooo

Your setup is awesome!

Products Discussed in this Thread