Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

TRD Sport Package, or TRD Off Road Package?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
"Life is short and so is money."
FloopyPickles is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Systems Craftsman
Name: Troy
FloopyPickles's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport Package, or TRD Off Road Package?

Hey guys, Im new to the group. I'm in a dilemma, I military stationed overseas, and heading back to the states soon. Hopefully Nellis AFB, Nevada. I had a brand new 2010 TRD Sport 2wd, which I loved while I was stationed in Tucson, AZ. I sold it before I came oversea's for 2 years. So here's what I need yall's opinion for. I can't decide which package I want or need. Either the Sport or Off Road. Def if I find out that I'm going to Nevada, Ill be doing off roading. Nothin serious like rock climbing or anything, just trails, mud, and sand dunes. I absolutely love the look if the sport model. The hood scoop and all bumpers, door handles, and grille painted to match. I can get the Sport in 4wd, but how important, or do I really need the off road package with the electronic locking rear differential and hill assist. Is that a necessity for off roading? The only thing I don't like about the Off Road package is all the chrome. Thats it! But that hood scoop is sweet! So, what should I do, Sport with 4wd, or Off Road package?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Banned
Capt FLuffy is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: War of 1869
Name: Kyle
Capt FLuffy's Tacoma Gallery
move back to US then we will care
Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #3

You can't hate on a guy thats does his research. I just can't make up my mind.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
You should definitely get a Sport if you like the look. It's just as capable of going off road as an Off-Road.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #5

Thats def what I want, so a rear locking differential isn't a big deal?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #6
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloopyPickles View Post
Thats def what I want, so a rear locking differential isn't a big deal?
It is if you will be in a situation where you have 1 of your rear tires off the ground.

Personally i'd get a sport (4x4 of course) and add a ARB locker (~$1,000 per diff) when you regear for larger tires (~$1,000 per diff) if you were to regear.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:08 AM   #7
seabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shedseabeau is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seabeau's Tacoma Gallery
The Sport Model in Long Wheel Base has much better street handling and Highway ride due to its shocks,struts and LWB! It just depends on how much offroading your're going to be doing!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
eaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud of

Army: SPC
Name: Cory
eaglesfn5402's Tacoma Gallery
sport, my 2013 sport has handled every situation i've thrown at it. and that's with it being stock. i just recently lifted it and now i'm trying to get some money together for bigger tires and new wheels. I went with the sport because of the color matched stuff as well. chrome won't get you home! if you're just sticking to mud and sand dunes yeah it probably would be nice to have a locker but also tires play a big factor as well.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #9

I'm planning on putting on a lift right away. Was thinking of a 6 inch with 33's on 19x10 XD Monsters. Im probably gonna stick with the port 4wd. Besides, thats why we have buddies to go with and pull us out if we get stuck lol. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt FLuffy View Post
move back to US then we will care
Haha

You're banned
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
VATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
VATACOEXP's Tacoma Gallery
If you're serious about off-roading. SR5 and then spend the difference on suspension gears and lockers.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
First off, thanks for your service.

If you are unsure whether or not you need a locker, then you probably don't. Go for the Sport and put in a locker once you get to the point that you feel you need it.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Sport. I hate the chrome too!
Old 01-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you want a sport... I went with the Off Road. A non functioning scoop did nothing for me, and the locker in an offroad situation is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
FatTony415 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
FatTony415's Tacoma Gallery
I say TRD Off Road. The OEM e-locker provides more practical value than a fake hood scoop and color matched grill and rear bumper. If you off-road in deep mud or sand, you'll appreciate having a locker.

A color matched Sport grill is $180 from Camelback Toyota - free shipping too. Plus you can sell the chrome grill for $125 on eBay, like I did. And it takes 30 minutes to install, while drunk. The color matched rear bumper is like $400 - and again, you can recoup much of your costs by selling the chrome one on eBay.

Retrofitting an ARB locker would cost $1,025 for the locker, plus $275 for the compressor, plus probably $500-700 for proper installation by a gear shop.

Additionally, the OR has some skid plates and tow hooks, which while not as good as aftermarket units, are better than what the Sport comes with, which is nothing.

Since you're ditching the stock suspension either way, that doesn't really matter. Same with the wheels and tires.

... and then get an Old Man Emu lift.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTony415 View Post
I say TRD Off Road. The OEM e-locker provides more practical value than a fake hood scoop and color matched grill and rear bumper. If you off-road in deep mud or sand, you'll appreciate having a locker.

A color matched Sport grill is $180 from Camelback Toyota - free shipping too. Plus you can sell the chrome grill for $125 on eBay, like I did. And it takes 30 minutes to install, while drunk. The color matched rear bumper is like $400 - and again, you can recoup much of your costs by selling the chrome one on eBay.

Retrofitting an ARB locker would cost $1,025 for the locker, plus $275 for the compressor, plus probably $500-700 for proper installation by a gear shop.

Additionally, the OR has some skid plates and tow hooks, which while not as good as aftermarket units, are better than what the Sport comes with, which is nothing.

Since you're ditching the stock suspension either way, that doesn't really matter. Same with the wheels and tires.

... and then get an Old Man Emu lift.
Can you get a 6' bed in a DC Offroad ?

I thought not
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Hafa Adai!
tagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: C-Tech
Name: joey
tagaman670's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm.. TRD Offroad- better to have a something and not need thanneed it and not have it (lockers) I have a TX baja and i cant tell you how many times that locker saved me in sticky situations.. and for all the chrome you can always swap em out and buy the color matched items on ebay or something.. but hey its your money buy what you like
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Get a TRD off road and then you can get the sport features you want by ordering parts from the dealership
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #20
FatTony415 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
FatTony415's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Can you get a 6' bed in a DC Offroad ?

I thought not
Yeah, I don't see the point of that either. You would think they'd sell MORE DCLB's with an OR package, with all the hunters hauling quads and such.