Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

"Tow rope" vs. "Recovery strap" and hardware

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
Question "Tow rope" vs. "Recovery strap" and hardware

I will be taking my ride to moderate beach ORV this year, and the local authorities requires "tow rope, 1400 lbs strength, 14 ft. min, 3/4 nylon or 3/4 polypro rope"

Three questions:

I see many heavy-duty, fancy recovery straps here, but my needs are much less demanding, I think.
Suggestions?

I did read that the tow ropes with the metal hooks at ends are frown upon by some as dangerous.
True?

Proper anchor points would be front "hook" and the towing hitch, correct?

I did not quite find that in the Stickies, I think... and I had the truck for 6 days, so i need to look around...!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
For sand you'll definitely want a recovery strap. They have some stretch in them to allow the other vehicle to gain some momentum without jerking and causing extreme stresses. I'd look for 1 in the 30' range. Something like THIS makes a great attachment point.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Get one of these then. Probably find a better deal than MSRP..
http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail...5083&plID=1829

Correct; front hooks or tow hitch will suffice.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong but I think you can save money by not buying a shackle for the hitch receiver. Just run the pin in the receiver through the loop at the end of your recovery strap.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Bump for answer on hooks end versus loop end on tow line...

What I read was the if the tow line disengages, the hook part would go flying.

My vehicle will be able to take the loop end, but what about the towing vehicle?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
VATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
VATACOEXP's Tacoma Gallery
I won't tow anyone that has a hook on their strap. Laziness and stupidity will get someone hurt eventually
Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Hell no on hooks. You don't want to put anything in the recovery setup that can possibly fly. That hook isn't rated for tugging very hard and there is a definite chance of it flying and killing someone. Same with a towball, never tug on a tow ball, there are verifiable stories of them killing people when used like this.

You can use the TRD OFF ROAD hook on the front and you can stick it into the hitch and use the pin. Or buy a quality shackle mount and run a Crosby, Columbus Mckinnen, or Warn 3/4 screw pin shackle.

I would order a quality strap without hooks, probably 20' length. Wheelers Off Road has some nice ones for a decent price, I have 4 of them.

I've also used the lower cost straps from like a farm ranch supply store, served me well for a long time. Just make sure it has a high enough load rating and NO hooks.

3" wide strap from wheeler's:
These straps are continuous duty rated at 13,500 lbs, the material itself is rated at 27,000 lbs break strength.

compare to ARB

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/a...covery-straps/

Shoot for something around there.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, I highly recommend not ever using a tow strap for a vehicle that is stuck.

I had always used a tow strap, now I have an ARB recovery strap and it's completely different and much safer!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
As others have said, I highly recommend not ever using a tow strap for a vehicle that is stuck.
I had always used a tow strap, now I have an ARB recovery strap and it's completely different and much safer!
I agree with the ARB recovery strap. They have a 20% stretch feature. The ProComp link does not mention if they stretch at all. My old Smitty strap is really frayed, so I'm about to get one of the ARB straps.

If you can afford it, there is a "Viking" recovery ROPE. 3/4" diameter round rope with 19,000 pound rating, that stretches 30%. About $130
With this, you could conceivably use a snatch block.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ARB strap that Max mentioned earlier in this thread. It's 30' and has saved my ass a couple times. It is a snatch style so it gives a little and stretches. Works great just is $$$$ You can get the Wheelers for cheaper.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
I am a firm believer in Recovery Straps. I have used mine more times than most probably (pulling out other people of course). Due to the stretch, they allow you to drive hard into the strap without the harsh repercussions of a chain or cable. Our straps are Made in the USA, and come with a Cordura Slider to protect the strap, which is nice if you have to pull over a rock or against a tree.

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product-c...ipment-320778/
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
LikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
LikeABoss4x4's Tacoma Gallery
^^That is a great price from Wheeler's. I've always just used the cheaper Pro Comp 20,000-lb straps since all Nylon straps seem to get beat up a lot in the rocks. TJM is another brand to consider for those looking at the ARBs, both Australian companies.