Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Auto vs Manual

Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
jro1 is on a distinguished road

Name: jesse
jro1's Tacoma Gallery
Auto vs Manual

last summer while touring in the Ghost wilderness in south west Alberta, I was left dead in the water, "literally" My clutch with 30k on it popped while crossing one of the several already crossed river fords in the "post" 2013 flooded Ghost river. I was way out of reach of any off-road recovery, so I was really left with that shallow empty gut feeling. however, knowing I could sync with the Rpm's, I was able to limp out of the Ghost and back to civilization. Toyota in Red Deer took care of the destroyed clutch, via
warranty. the truck had 70,000km and a new clutch when I bought it. I managed to cook the new clutch, off-roading with around 98,000km when it popped. i'm wondering if a 6 spd was a wrong choice for reliability when off roading? what do you guys have to say?
the attached photo shows me at km marker 28, off the beaten path when she died!
Attached Thumbnails
Auto vs Manual-taco.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Pdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
One thing good about a Stick is if your battery dies you can still bump start it. Auto your farked.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

jro1's Tacoma Gallery
1 good pro vs con so far1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdugan6 View Post
One thing good about a Stick is if your battery dies you can still bump start it. Auto your farked.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdugan6 View Post

Jump pack
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Never bothered to look at the poll before. Damn! 13098 votes and the auto is rated stronger by 96% of voters.

Interestingly, is DCSB offered with auto in Canada?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #7

jro1's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the link
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Search thingy works like a charm even though I disagree with the poll .
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-stronger.html
Old 02-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Interestingly, is DCSB offered with auto in Canada?

Nope
Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Second gens must be a different animal... I got almost 200k out of my stock clutch and I beat on it.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's a religious war.

I drive a stick because I like it.

And ultimately, the best course of action I recommend to anyone is, "drive what you like."

That said, for off-roading in 'modern' vehicles, an automatic is often recommended because:

1. torque converter torque multiplier at low rpms
2. two foot braking when creeping over obstacles (right foot on gas, left on brake)
3. go as slow as you want without stalling the engine
4. you can 'lock it down' in park and with parking brake on while engine is still running

Yeah, you can't 'bump/push start it' But you can carry a jump pack - which I do anyway even with a stick. There's LOTS of terrain where a push start would not be practical, safe, or even possible.

You can't 'in gear start' an automatic on a climb. But that's OK - you won't have killed the motor in the first place.

To reiterate:
#1 first criteria: buy what you like.
#2 if you're not committed to one or the other, pick the automatic for off-roading or towing.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
PS: it's very weird to fry a clutch with only 30K. Something: either clutch, installation, or driver clutch technique was probably defective. With no data at all to go on - I make no hypothesis or judgement about which one it might have been.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

jro1's Tacoma Gallery
Before I bought the vehicle, I looked at the service records and the truck had been in before for a clutch replacement on warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
PS: it's very weird to fry a clutch with only 30K. Something: either clutch, installation, or driver clutch technique was probably defective. With no data at all to go on - I make no hypothesis or judgement about which one it might have been.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty rare that a clutch will shit the bed with zero warning.

Which is better? It largely comes down to personal preference. Manuals are fine. You got out alive, didn't you?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Jump pack
I drive the 6 speed, and still always take one of these when I am heading out to somewhere remote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
Exhaust is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
Exhaust's Tacoma Gallery
If the 1st gen DCs came with a stick, that's what I would have gotten. It's just more fun to drive
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Stick is harder to drive off road. But I will take it all day long over an auto. I like having more driver input when going off road. Anyone can drive a auto..
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my manual trans. I really enjoy it a lot off road too. It probably is harder to drive off road but I feel like it is much more satisfying.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #19
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
My first Gen Tacoma was a manual and way better than the 4 speed auto IMO. But the 5 spd auto in the bigger 2nd Gens is pretty nice and seems to fit the character of the truck. I was indifferent when i bought my 2nd gen, I bought the first white DCSB TRD OR i could make a deal on and it was an auto. A manual would have been much harder to find.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Auto, I dont want to worry about shifting or using clutch on a tough hill climb.