LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

What shovel to buy?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Bearded Bandit
RigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RigidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What shovel to buy?

Hey guys,

So Ive searched around and all i find are threads about shovel mounts. But i want the shovel to mount first. Some questions for you pros!

I want a shovel for minor off roading and camping so it needs to be multi purpose in a sense. I will have a separate axe so does not need to be a multi atachment shovel but im open to ideas for sure.

What do you guys use? Suggest?

Just hit up Home Depot or a nice fancy one? Worth the cash?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
Just get an army surplus shovel. Small, folds, and you can use to dig, pick, and chop small stuff with.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Pick a blade that suits your soil/terrain type, and then pick the handle style and length of your choosing. if you can get those nailed down for what's best for your purposes, the only other thing i'd say, is to get a fiberglass handle. especially if the shovel will live outside. my shovel is perminately mounted to the bed rack. the wooden handle i had dryrotted and snapped after a little over a year. the fiberglass one holds up much better. well worth the $10 extra or whatever it costs.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
JimBob will become famous soon enoughJimBob will become famous soon enough

Navy: HMC, USN (FMF) (Retired)
Name: Jim
JimBob's Tacoma Gallery
A folding shovel (E-tool or "entrenching tool") is very handy to have, unless it is time to use it. A small non-folding shovel is cheap and much easier to use. The folders were really made for easier carrying by infantry. I carry a small shovel with a handle in the truck. They are really inexpensive at any of the hardware stores.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
jro1 is on a distinguished road

Name: jesse
jro1's Tacoma Gallery
I carry two shovels, S.O.S. "Survival On Snow" shovel , made in Canada, comes apart in three pieces, this is my go to for winter, flat edged shovel. and it packs nicely and secures behind my back seat, Then I carry a short handled spade, rubber handled, composite shaft. Good for moving rocks, mud, chopping tree roots, etc.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
For some reason I now have two of these now. Probably not good for dirt, but a great Snow Shovel! And can be broken down to pack into small spaces.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Bearded Bandit
RigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Guys,

I live in Canada so the winters here get long. Ill do most of my wheeling in summer but always nice to be ready for anything.

Think ill go with a fiber glass deal, maybe about 3 foot long and mount that somewhere.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a regular full size shovel. I find they are the best when I actually have to shovel. Now you've made me want one with a fiberglass handle even though it lives inside the canopy.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Bearded Bandit

Ya maybe full size is better, otherwise ill be cursing come time to use it. Will have to check the hardware store out, need a solid one aith a point or pick of sorts in case there is ice.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
For some reason I now have two of these now. Probably not good for dirt, but a great Snow Shovel! And can be broken down to pack into small spaces.

costco! I have the same ones.