LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Manual Transmission Off-Roaders Wanted!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
jro1 is on a distinguished road

Name: jesse
jro1's Tacoma Gallery
When driving in 4-lo, is there always that annoying beeping sound or am I doing something wrong?!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #22
TOYWERX
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
The main thing is to shift to 4 lo early.

Some drivers only use 4 lo as an "ultra low" extension for below first gear. It's not - it's an entire range and all the gears in the transmission are available to you in 4 lo -- sorta like the upper and lower chain rings on a 10 speed bike.

Once you're in 4 lo, you'll be surprised at how much easier everything works on the clutch.

Learn to do an "in gear" start with the clutch start cancel if you kill the motor on a hill, but be aware that the thing that's most likely to kill the motor on a hill is a sudden tall bump/step that you need to climb over, and you probably won't be able to crawl over it with just the starter. You'll probably need to roll back and try again.

Be aware that once you kill the motor, you only get one or two applications of power brakes before the pressure reserve in the system is exhausted and the braking effort is like 10x. So if you stall and you need to coast back with just the brakes, restart the engine to keep juice going to the power brakes and steering.

Don't be afraid to kill the motor. The fundamental rule is

"as slow as possible, as fast as necessary." Sometimes, you'll come into an obstacle too slowly and will kill it. No prob - just back up and retry with a tiny bit more momentum.

It's OK to feather the clutch (rarely) on a really tricky section. Just make sure you're not gunning the motor at the same time you're doing that (it's all about the slow at this point) and don't do it too often, or very often.

When you think about putting in a locking differntial (and you will) regear lower at the same time while you have the diff cracked open. Lower gears will help the stick shift.

The engine has torque and will power the truck down into very low RPM without dying. As long as you've got a little tiny bit of momentum going and you add a touch of gas as needed as soon as the wheels are blocked by a "bump" you can drive in 4 lo -1st gear with foot off the clutch down to 600 RPM and very brief (sub-second) intervals at like 400 rpm.
This would have been my response to a "T".
I've owned 3 toyota trucks - all Manual.
Most of the time wheeling in 4lo I hardly touch the clutch.
Looking forward to my crawlbox install tho.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #23
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro1 View Post
When driving in 4-lo, is there always that annoying beeping sound or am I doing something wrong?!
If it's beeping it's not working. I've found turning the selector slowly instead of just turning it fast helps. Are you coming to a complete stop and putting it in neutral first?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #24
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
Don't let the Auto v Manual threads get you discouraged. What I've found is more often than not, guys will vote for what they have personally, and There's about a million more AT tacomas out there than MTs, so the votes always tend to swing into the majority. While some folks are speaking from experience of having both transmissions, A LOT of the negative press on MT's comes from "well I have an automatic, but I HEARD those MT's suck!"

You own the truck, you be the judge.

I personally love my 6 speed. And I wheel the f*ck out of it too...

Listen to Moose, Box Rocket, Homer, great advice from some truly experienced 4x4 gurus.

Most importantly, go drive it! While some modifications will absolutely make your experience better, you shouldn't have to wait until you've dumped a ton of money into it before you go wheeling. Just pick some mild trails, fire roads, dirt tracks etc and go have some fun. As you gain experience, and build your truck up accordingly, you'll want to tackle more challenging terrain.

Have Fun!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomahq.com/2872/6-speed...ission-review/
Read this. I have the 4 banger 5 speed combo and wouldn't change it for a thing. The gear ratios in 4lo are just right and it really climbs around with ease. I personally still believe that the manual gearbox is stronger than any automatic, but, I'm old school I guess.

I've wheeled in nothing but manuals and wouldn't change it for the world, just love being able to put it in low and idle over everything nice n' slow.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #26
Dirt Eater
Mute will become famous soon enoughMute will become famous soon enough

Name: Mike
Mute's Tacoma Gallery
I thought this thread was dead! Thanks for the replies.

I've been in my new 6 speed for over a month now and absolutely love it. 4lo is just plain easy to use. I notice the auto guys I've been running with hardly ever use 4lo cuz stalling on the 3mph terrain just isn't a problem for them. I've driven in 4lo's 6th gear at 23mph which just seems hilarious to me! 1st and second gear almost acts like an automatic. Rolling over obstacles at 1mph and 600rpm's! I love it.

I'm glad I chose manual. The feel off-road is just so solid. The only thing I wish it had was a higher top gear. The difference between 5th and 6th gear on the highway is about 200 rpms... I'm assuming it's giving almost no gas savings. But it is cool having a 6th gear!

Thanks again for resurecting this post.

M

p.s.

Do the auto guys risk ruining their slushbox running in 4h on super slow terrain?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #28
808 Member
WailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
WailuaTaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post
Don't let the Auto v Manual threads get you discouraged. What I've found is more often than not, guys will vote for what they have personally, and There's about a million more AT tacomas out there than MTs, so the votes always tend to swing into the majority. While some folks are speaking from experience of having both transmissions, A LOT of the negative press on MT's comes from "well I have an automatic, but I HEARD those MT's suck!"

You own the truck, you be the judge.
Thats right on point. I'd be pissed if i bought an automatic and thought that the manual was better hahahaha

anyway enjoy your truck OP. Lucky thing its not to hard to do that

definitely picked the right one. never heard anyone buying the 6 spd MT and hating it except for those who dont know how to drive it. I sure love mine
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #29
BVCOTaco is on a distinguished road
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Offroad driving on technical terrain definitely takes some practice and getting used to. I personal like manuals, I have one in my Tacoma and also had one in my Jeep. I personally like it, especially for downhill driving. I don't have to worry about some electronic connection between the shifter and the transmission.

Also the comments above about shifting to 4 Lo early is key! I end up driving in 3rd or 4th gear in 4 Lo a lot of the time when I am trail riding. You can even usually start out in 2nd gear on steep terrain because of 4 Lo.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #30
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
I thought this thread was dead! Thanks for the replies.

I've been in my new 6 speed for over a month now and absolutely love it. 4lo is just plain easy to use. I notice the auto guys I've been running with hardly ever use 4lo cuz stalling on the 3mph terrain just isn't a problem for them. I've driven in 4lo's 6th gear at 23mph which just seems hilarious to me! 1st and second gear almost acts like an automatic. Rolling over obstacles at 1mph and 600rpm's! I love it.

I'm glad I chose manual. The feel off-road is just so solid. The only thing I wish it had was a higher top gear. The difference between 5th and 6th gear on the highway is about 200 rpms... I'm assuming it's giving almost no gas savings. But it is cool having a 6th gear!

Thanks again for resurecting this post.

M

p.s.

Do the auto guys risk ruining their slushbox running in 4h on super slow terrain?
Glad you are enjoying your new truck! I've considered upgrading to a V6 manual in the future, love the 4, but want some more ponies under the hood big time.