Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Legal vs Illegal Off-roading Question

Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #1
ZannarTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
ZannarTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Legal vs Illegal Off-roading Question

So I live in California. Let's say I'm driving on a highway going through a desert. If I turned off the highway and just started exploring the desert in my truck is this considered legal or illegal?

I always see people posting pictures of their truck with an incredible backdrop up in the mountains or somthing. Just check the off roading pics thread. Are those all just trails?

I guessy real question boils down to where can and where can't you off-road?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Grab an atlas or get on google maps: anywhere green is National or State Forest
You can legally go out into either (have to pay for State, most of the time) and explore and take sweet pictures of your truck
I'm blessed enough to live in Idaho, where almost literally 60% of the State is National Forest... millions and millions of acres I can legally bomb around on
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
You can legally go out into either (have to pay for State, most of the time) and explore and take sweet pictures of your truck
I'm blessed enough to live in Idaho, where almost literally 60% of the State is National Forest... millions and millions of acres I can legally bomb around on
http://treadlightly.org/
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, I'm sorry... I shouldn't have stated it that way
Don't bomb around... explore and do so respectfully; so others can too
Old 02-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
ZannarTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
ZannarTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
Starting I wish I lived in Idaho lol. I live pretty far from the "green" in California. So what is everything that is not green is considered just public? And I assume it is all off-roading in the "grey" area is not allowed
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you are on public land you must stay on established trails. You are never allowed to blaze your own trails and rut up the landscape. It are things like that which gets public parcels closed to vehicles.

EDIT: Some places (like sand dunes open for off-highway vehicles) allow you to drive wherever. However, unless if it is explicitly stated, you must stay on existing trails.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZannarTacoma View Post
Starting I wish I lived in Idaho lol. I live pretty far from the "green" in California. So what is everything that is not green is considered just public? And I assume it is all off-roading in the "grey" area is not allowed
Non-Green = private, city, or state land
Yes, as far as I know: you would need permission to go "off-roading" in them
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
In Cali you should find a state map, alot of the state park areas have off-roading areas that are deemed "cross country" friendly, for the most part however you cant just take off through the mild of the country/Forrest and so on, Licensed vehicles and staying on roads.

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/San_Die...ty,_California
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

STAY ON THE DAMN ROADS.

Off-road driving is really OFF-HIGHWAY driving. Guys going off the dirt road, and onto meadows, and through the trees, are the main reasons that roads get closed permanently by the Forest Service.

This is what is happening in Central California. Several of my favorite trails are now closed, along with dozens of others, due to thoughtless morons who think they can do anything they want because they drive a 'bad-ass' 4x4. You should treat public lands like it is your own private property.

Having a capable 4x4 allows me take on the challenge of driving over bad, un-maintained roads that I would not normally be able to negotiate. The Rubicon Trail is an example of that. It is an actual road, but extremely challenging in many places. A real blast. Its still open, but its days might be numbered.

OK, that's off my chest.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, Travel Management Plans are not entirely the result of careless/reckless wheeling. They are the result of environmentalists who lobby hard to get rid of the activities they don't like. Offroading is one of those activities.

Travel Management is being implemented in all National Forests and what sucks is that roads closed under the plan are not marked in any way. Users have the responsibility of visiting the ranger station to identify closed areas.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Actually, Travel Management Plans are not entirely the result of careless/reckless wheeling. They are the result of environmentalists who lobby hard to get rid of the activities they don't like. Offroading is one of those activities.

Travel Management is being implemented in all National Forests and what sucks is that roads closed under the plan are not marked in any way. Users have the responsibility of visiting the ranger station to identify closed areas.
Agreed ... and well said. Additionally the extreme environmentalists use photos of trail damage and strewn garbage as additional ammunition.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
STAY ON THE DAMN ROADS.

Off-road driving is really OFF-HIGHWAY driving. Guys going off the dirt road, and onto meadows, and through the trees, are the main reasons that roads get closed permanently by the Forest Service.
^^ That x 1000 ^^

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen IDIOTS with all sorts of motorized vehicles tearing up the landscape. Pisses me off every time I see it and they, the IDIOTS, seem to think its OK.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZannarTacoma View Post
So I live in California. Let's say I'm driving on a highway going through a desert. If I turned off the highway and just started exploring the desert in my truck is this considered legal or illegal?

I always see people posting pictures of their truck with an incredible backdrop up in the mountains or somthing. Just check the off roading pics thread. Are those all just trails?

I guessy real question boils down to where can and where can't you off-road?

It varies from state to state, since you're in CA. (like me) you should def. educate yourself as to where you can/cannot, our state is probably the strictest regulations wise, good rule of thumb is (besides staying on existing trails) Any property/open spaces not marked/posted could probably be driven on as long as theres existing trail/road thats seen traffic,, If open spaces not marked or posted BUT DO NOT have evidence of vehicular traffic should be treated as a closed area, & obliviously if in state parks its going to be layed out pretty well as to vehicle access whether or not you can or can't be there
Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #14
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
There are so many forest service roads especially in NF boundaries that there would be no reason to go off trail (even in the desert). These service roads are often unmarked and unkept but still are official roads (dirt, sometimes 4wd only). Buy a national forest map of the area you are going to explore and you will have so much fun! Or better yet, buy a book off amazon.com. They make it easy to plan out a trip- show you things to see (i.e. mines, graves, lakes, trailheads), where to camp and how to get there. Plenty of places to take pics of your truck in front of beautiful mountains. And as stated above, TREAD LIGHTLY!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
MARKDESMO will become famous soon enough
Name: Mark
MARKDESMO's Tacoma Gallery
California has Federal and State owned land and it can be confusing for "off roading". OHV, Off Highway Vehicle, is the proper term. Here is what I consider the best OHV maps for California. http://www.ctuc.info/ctuc/index.php/maps In National Forests, Federal Government Land, you will need an Adventure Pass, most SVRA's, State owned land, have admission fees.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDESMO View Post
California has Federal and State owned land and it can be confusing for "off roading". OHV, Off Highway Vehicle, is the proper term. Here is what I consider the best OHV maps for California. http://www.ctuc.info/ctuc/index.php/maps In National Forests, Federal Government Land, you will need an Adventure Pass, most SVRA's, State owned land, have admission fees.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an adventure pass Only if you park your vehicle and get out/leave it there to go hiking.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an adventure pass Only if you park your vehicle and get out/leave it there to go hiking.

You are correct...
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Wait wtf you have to pay to go hiking? I could see if you wanted to use your vehicle you would need to pay insurance or fees but for hiking you have to pay?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #19
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/f...emap_final.pdf
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #20
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
Wait wtf you have to pay to go hiking? I could see if you wanted to use your vehicle you would need to pay insurance or fees but for hiking you have to pay?
In California, almost all the state parks have some sort of entrance fee. Many people avoid paying the fee by walking into the parks. Then they complain because the parks have no money to put TP in the bathrooms