1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longest overland/camping trip?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Dj318, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    Dj318

Dj318 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    bilstein 5100, wheelers AAL, Trail gear bumper, SOS sliders, RAT skids, 35" Mtr/k
    Whats the longest you've lived out of your tacoma for? Where did you go? and How far did you go? Feel free to post pics!

Ive only camped outta the truck for about 3 days, but really want to make some trips out west once i graduate that may last up to two weeks.

2. Feb 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    we do a 6 day 5 night trip every year in upstate NY.

Park the truck
    launch boat
    boat across the lake towing a canoe
    set up base camp for the night at a remote campsite
    canoe to one of several trail heads on the water
    backpack hike and enjoy the backcountry
    then finally stay the rest of the trip at base camp enjoying beer, fishing, and a campfire.

we are not living out of the truck, and the truck is not next to us all the time. but it does carry our gear up. and we get many looks on the highway towing a trailer with 3 boats, roof rack full of gear, and a bed piled high.

3. Feb 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    I lived in my RTT for 7 weeks last summer. Drove from Arizona up to Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. Only spent 2 nights in a hotel the entire time, and that was basically so I could use their laundry services since I had worn every piece of clothing I had for weeks on end.

Doing the same trip again this July and August, driving up to and all over Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. I will again be living out of my RTT the entire time. No hotels this time, I will just periodically return to civilization and find a laundromat.

4. Feb 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    Dj318

Dj318 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    bilstein 5100, wheelers AAL, Trail gear bumper, SOS sliders, RAT skids, 35" Mtr/k
    Wow!! how was it? pretty comfortable? Was it just you and no one else?

5. Feb 24, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    every other week during hunting season but if I was to count the total weeks I camped 1 and a half month total.

6. Feb 25, 2014 at 4:20 AM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light

It was one of, if not THE BEST vacation I've ever taken in my lifetime. It was total comfort....also had my hammock along with me if I got tired of sleeping in the RTT. Was just me for the first 4.5 weeks, then my buddy Mike (mh.meier on here) flew up to Montana and him and I joined Monte (Blackdawg) on his Epic MT, WY, CO trip for 3 weeks. Check his thread and look at the pictures :)

7. Mar 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I've had my Tacoma for about a year and a half. I've done a few weekends and I drove from SF Bay area to Little Rock, AR. That took 6 days and 2500 miles of which we camped 4 days. We had some people with us who weren't into camping. We were moving and the truck was packed. Otherwise we would sleep under the camper shell on the sleeping platform.

More recently we did a 5 day, 1200 trip from Little Rock to Memphis then Nashville, then Chatanooga, then Shiloh National Battlefield Park then back to Little Rock.

With my Honda Civic I did a 6 week, 10,000 mile trip from NH to FL to NC then West to CO. I slowed down a bunch in Co then spent 3 weeks in UT then finished south of San Francisco. I would have loved to have my truck back then. I took the honda places it didn't belong but those were places the Taco would have had no problem with.

My girlfriend and I also did a 2 week, 3600 mile trip in a Subaru Outback through Southern Utah. I really wish I had the truck then. The outback is surprisingly good off road, but the approach, departure and break over angles make it not as good.

Products Discussed in

To Top