Notices

Basic Offroad Requirements

Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Taco tuesdays is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
Taco tuesdays's Tacoma Gallery
Basic Offroad Requirements

Hey guys,

So i just bought an 06 Tacoma. It has the TRD off road package and I just added some Cooper AT3 all-terrain tires. I'm getting ready to hit a local off road park as soon as its warm enough. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/simple mods to my truck before heading out.

For the record I've been off roading a few times in my previous truck - 1995 toyota 4runner.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by simple mods? Are you looking to lift?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Snatch strap and a friend with another truck!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
braaAAAP
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
You should be ok in a stock Tacoma depending on how rough the terrain is. Like said before, never hurts to have another friend with a truck if you expect it to get gnarly.

The more offroading you do the more you'll find things that you'll want/need to make your truck better equipped for the terrain you're tackling!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
Relocate the rear differential breather. Get a shackle mount for the tow hitch and a snatch strap.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
ToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ToolFan66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingWhiteTac. View Post
Relocate the rear differential breather. Get a shackle mount for the tow hitch and a snatch strap.
Can I ask why to relocate the breather?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Shovel

Strap (and ensure you have secure mounting points front and rear)

Tools to change a tire (spare tire implied task)

Fix-a-flat in case you get two flats

Map / compass / GPS

Flashlight / batteries

Phone / charger

Fire starting material

First Aid kit

Walk out bag

Warm clothing / change of clothing

Weapon

And leave a 5 W's with a no later than return time with a trusted friend.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
Can I ask why to relocate the breather?
It's only at the top of the differential; if you submerge it you will have to change the differential oil.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
another vehicle-
water-
food-
emergency equip (light, blanket, first aid, fire extinguisher, etc.)
basic tools
means of communication other than cell
Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Jeez, where is OP off-roading? The rubicon? I don't think he was asking about survival equipment.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Shovel

Strap (and ensure you have secure mounting points front and rear)

Tools to change a tire (spare tire implied task)

Fix-a-flat in case you get two flats

Map / compass / GPS

Flashlight / batteries

Phone / charger

Fire starting material

First Aid kit

Walk out bag

Warm clothing / change of clothing

Weapon

And leave a 5 W's with a no later than return time with a trusted friend.
This is a pretty good list but I'm not sure you need to go armed to the local off-road park... To each their own level of personal security I guess. But some more popular parks may actually have rules *against* firearms. Check before you go.

If you go with a buddy it's very convenient to have a pair of FRS radios so you can talk to each other - even if there's only one truck, it's handy for the spotter to have one and the driver to have one.

Well developed off-road parks probably have a map at the gate. Having a compass to orient is handy. GPS is overkill unless you already own it.

Lunch/snacks, and water bottle - say a quart of water per person.

Sturdy hiking shoes. Sometimes you gotta get out and scramble around spotting, scoping out the terrain, or getting unstuck.

Sunscreen/insect repellent for the same reason.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what the California association of 4 wheel drive clubs requires for all their meets:

http://www.cal4wheel.com/events/safety-requirements

There's a lot of overlap with what's posted above - the notable additional thing is a fire extinguisher - and much of the rest is stuff that probably goes without saying - hardtop, seatbelts working, battery bolted in place
Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
Jeez, where is OP off-roading? The rubicon? I don't think he was asking about survival equipment.
When going solo vehicle, always be capable of walking out.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Tire pressure gauge. You can't air down without it. Of course - don't air down if there isn't a compressor to air back up. Our local park Hollister Hills has air lines. But most drivers also bring their own compressor. You need to do a little research here. The cig lighter plug-in type won't move enough air to reinflate your tires and it'll likely conk out from overheating before completely filling even one truck tire.

You can air down the stock tire size to 20psi without any worries about breaking a bead while offroading.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #17
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Basics: some extra water, snack, jacket, ratchet set in case something gets loose, duct tape (fixes everything right?), headlamp, gloves, tire changing tool (the x thingy), snatch strap, tow hitch shackle, hi lift jack with lift mate, just got a set of Maxtrax (which is overkill but peace of mind), some extra gas, maps and a first aid kit. Makes me feel safer having some recovery tools when wheeling solo. I figure what would I need if I got a flat tire, got stuck in a rut or ran out of gas...and that's what I came up with. Hope that helps! Other things I can think of GPS, CB/HAM radio, extra oil, one night of camping gear/food. I just cary a two person emergency blanket and a storm whistle all the time in my truck just in case, you never know. Man this list can just go on and on!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
Dma251 is on a distinguished road
Dma251's Tacoma Gallery
I'd add a high-lift jack to the short list. If you know how to do it, a high-lift and chain can extricate you from almost any situation. It also will lift your truck when that wimpy street-jack wont reach.

Also, a spare tire that has air in it will be very handy when you break a bead, or slice open a tire. I've had to drive off a mountain with a flat tire, and after about a mile or two, you just forget that your driving on a rim and wondering what the best way to cut off the remnants of your tire that are slapping around getting twisted up in you brake lines....

Good luck getting through that beadwire without a boltcutter

Which reminds me of another item I like to bring with me - a bolt cutter. Also handy when you find yourself locked behind a gate...

....maybe a small chainsaw if you live in the woods like I do....

The list grows...
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #19
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
Been locked behind a locked gate before... Not fun. Also to add to the list I invested in a CO2 tank that I use to inflate my tires with. 5lb tank will fill about 15 tires I believe. But also a lot less expensive than a "power tank" but same functionality
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #20
shr133 will become famous soon enough
Army: 31C, 95B.
shr133's Tacoma Gallery
The coopers are great tires I have the 275 70 17s.... You can go down to 27 lbs of air get great traction and still go down the road.....
Logging trails, bring a saw and rope for downed trees.... Just learned that....