Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Front Locker: Is it worth it?

View Poll Results: Do you have a locker and have you used it.
No 41 51.25%
Yes, used it 0 times 3 3.75%
Yes, used it a few times 14 17.50%
Yes, I have used it and needed it many times. 22 27.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I need to make the long haul to California and see if I can hang.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #23
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
When I owned my Jeep, I always wished I had one. Just about everyone I wheeled with had one and used it frequently. Mostly mud pits, rock crawling, and hill climbs in the PA/WV mountains. A front/rear locker made things 100x easier for those who had them and a lot less skinny pedal was needed in most cases.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
I guess I need to make the long haul to California and see if I can hang.
oh you will be able to hang if you have done moab.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #26
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
So rear locker + ATRAC doesnt compare?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 AM   #27
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Not on a tacoma....

ARB Front & Rear lockers on a Jeep that's built specifically for the trails - YES. Needed it and used it many many times. Got me into trouble, a couple times (rolled it twice).

If there's any one locker you put in the front - it should be a selectable and ARB's are the best!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #28
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
So rear locker + ATRAC doesnt compare?
Depends on where you want to go. Personally, ATRAC is fine for anywhere I plan on taking my Tacoma. If you really need a front locker, you're probably in a place that I would not be comfortable taking my Tacoma.

Janster's got the right idea. They come in handy on a Jeep with Dana 44s that you can hammer on all day, but I'm not sure the Tacoma could handle that type of abuse, at least not one with a stock driveline.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #29
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
OP idk if you know or not, but I was watching your first video and just thought I would mention that if you air down your tires it will make the rocks a lot easier, and more comfortable in the cab
Old 04-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #30
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
OP idk if you know or not, but I was watching your first video and just thought I would mention that if you air down your tires it will make the rocks a lot easier, and more comfortable in the cab
Yeah you are right. Everyone was ready to go and waiting on me. I just dropped them to 27 and carried on. When I go out to Moab or somewhere I am less familiar with I would dropped it a bit more. I know that area pretty well so I wasn't worried about it.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #31
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, do it. You wont use it much but will be glad you have it when you "need it" or decide to put yourself in a position that you otherwise wouldnt have without it. The more and more you do of course the better chances of breaking, like with any modified vehicle. Carry an extra cv axle or two. Get the selectable locker and engage only when needed once you have picked your line then turn it off. Turning is not easy and is a strain on the components so its for short spurts only.
Safest used in low traction situations where you need another tire biting. If you are doing u-turns in Moab like slick rock terrain you will get really good at fixing front end components.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Yes, do it. You wont use it much but will be glad you have it when you "need it" or decide to put yourself in a position that you otherwise wouldnt have without it. The more and more you do of course the better chances of breaking, like with any modified vehicle. Carry an extra cv axle or two. Get the selectable locker and engage only when needed once you have picked your line then turn it off. Turning is not easy and is a strain on the components so its for short spurts only.
Safest used in low traction situations where you need another tire biting. If you are doing u-turns in Moab like slick rock terrain you will get really good at fixing front end components.
Yeah I hear you. I never run my locker in the rear until I approach something that I feel will need it. Once I am through the obstacle turn it off. That is even more important for the front.

When I was in Moab last year everyone told me "Only use it when you need it" I have kept that philosophy anytime I wheel.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #33
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Not only turning it off after getting through the obstacles, I usually find myself turing it on and off multiple times getting through something to get my steering back, it pretty much locks the wheel in place.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #34
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
i thought about a front locker real hard......

but i have been through some pretty gnarly shit and i havent "really" needed one yet.
i just dont want to blow through cvs.... but it would be so nice to have...
hmm.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #35
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
if it were me, I would take a winch and a front locker. I dont off road in my truck, but have an atv for that. I have used the front locker and winch a few times on that, and could see your kind of trails where you could use both.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #36
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
A-Trac only works at under 5mph, and all it does on my truck is make the front end drivetrain and suspension bounce all around till your sure you broke a c/v. I had to turn A-trac off in some situations to avoid this. Front locker for me!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #37
Kick A$$ Member

Although blowing CVs with a front locker is more likely, you don't have to hit obstacles nearly as hard. You can slowly work your way through them (sometimes). That alone ups the level of safety when wheeling on serious terrain. Bumping an obstacle next to a cliff is a little more risky.

As for ATRAC I have used it quite a bit without having it start bouncing around. In that winter video I posted I used ATRAC through that whole thing and it did it's job. I know quite a few people who use it, but have never heard of an issue with it like the one you are describing.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Front locker is worth its weight in gold.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #39
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
As for ATRAC I have used it quite a bit without having it start bouncing around. In that winter video I posted I used ATRAC through that whole thing and it did it's job. I know quite a few people who use it, but have never heard of an issue with it like the one you are describing.
I find for a lot of more squirrely situations I just have to shut everything off. Both my 09 sport and 09 offroad do the same thing. It will just grind you to a hault some times.

I had a few situations this past winter where the whole truck would just buck like a wild horse with a-trac on. One time I recall was on a trail with about 12" of fresh snow, on top of a few feet of hardened snow going up an off camber hill climb with a 3' diagonal hump from a pipeline underneath. Once I came over that hump it just bucked like crazy. The front brakes acting under atrac made the front wheels fight each other nearly to death. I backed up off of it, shut off atrac and just crawled up over it with the rear locker engaged. I can't get into anything rough in hi range with trac enabled either, it just slams the brakes on and stops you. Feels the same as the brakes holding you back while doing a burnout on pavement, if anyone remembers those days. It thinks the truck is spinning out and shuts you down.

Most of this is during snow runs where momentum is the only thing keeping you going. On normal dirt roads atrac works great for me if I get a wheel off the ground or something on solid ground.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #40
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
I dont believe your A-Trak is functioning properly. It pretty much just taps the brake of a spinning tire so the other one will bite a bit more. It should only do it under a few MPH and in 4LO only. There is some noise associated it with the pulsing but no bucking or craziness like you are experiencing