Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Front Locker: Is it worth it?

View Poll Results: Do you have a locker and have you used it.
No 42 50.00%
Yes, used it 0 times 4 4.76%
Yes, used it a few times 15 17.86%
Yes, I have used it and needed it many times. 23 27.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #61
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well gears are installed I will be installing the air compressor and wiring for the locker all next week... I will post in here when it is all done.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #62
Mudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lefty
Mudfinger's Tacoma Gallery
I answered, "yes, used it a few times".

I don't have it anymore, it was on another vehicle years ago. Very rarely used it, but when I did need it, it was like having an easy button.

Northern California mud. I used a couple times in rocks only, and I probably could've just chosen a better line.

But, that's the thing. I don't mess around with mud and rocks these days, unless they're in my way. There are other, much cheaper, ways to get by such obstacles.

I probably won't be getting another one.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #63
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So it has been a while since I got my gears installed and my front locker hooked up. Let me tell you right now it is absolutely, 100% worth re-gearing* and getting a front locker**.

*IMO Re-gearing only worth the cash it if you run 35s+
**IMO Front Locker Only Worth the cash if you wheel hard

Using both lockers on the Hells Gate

http://youtu.be/jM1P9BZkmVk?list=UU-...E29d9t1k6uD_zQ
Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #64
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Silly duratracs need all the traction they can get
Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #65
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post

FWIW, I've wheeled pretty hard and only used the front locker a handful of times, most of which I could have just used skinny pedal to get where I wanted to go.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #66
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
So it has been a while since I got my gears installed and my front locker hooked up. Let me tell you right now it is absolutely, 100% worth re-gearing* and getting a front locker**.

how is your Mpgs these days poopie?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #67
He gotta real perty mouth aint he
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Very nice. I need to do Moab again...
Old 08-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #68
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

After watching this, YOU definitely need the front locker! I wouldn't attempt that hill climb without one.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #69
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIZZLE View Post
After watching this, YOU definitely need the front locker! I wouldn't attempt that hill climb without one.
Not hating on Pete, but several people (including myself) have run the Gate open/open. Just sayin. If you can keep all the wheels on the ground, there is plenty of traction, its is when you lift a wheel that the locker really comes into play.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #70
He gotta real perty mouth aint he
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Not hating on Pete, but several people (including myself) have run the Gate open/open. Just sayin. If you can keep all the wheels on the ground, there is plenty of traction, its is when you lift a wheel that the locker really comes into play.
This May be true but I can take you on trails open open would never make. I don't give a rats azz how many tires you have on the ground..
Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #71
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I don't think my next set of tires will be duratracs. They are not a bad tire, but there is better options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
how is your Mpgs these days poopie?
Roof rack hurt it, the gears helped a little. I am hovering right around an average of 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIZZLE View Post
Nah I used it because it was new and I had it. There are plenty of people who have run it open/open. Mike or mh.meier's girl friend did it in his truck last year Open/Open

Proof (Skip to 0:50 if you don't want to see how you get into hells gate)
http://youtu.be/497WNkvfu_Q?list=PLs...yejyEjKo-nXs7J

Quote:
^This.

I had all four on the ground at the begging and was spinning tires. If I was open I would have had to back down and use more momentum or a new line.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #72
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
This May be true but I can take you on trails open open would never make. I don't give a rats azz how many tires you have on the ground..

I've heard a lot of people tell James this...
Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #74
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Roof rack hurt it, the gears helped a little. I am hovering right around an average of 14.
Damn I thought you would be getting better than that. Hell I get 14
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #75
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Question for those who have actually done this: Can a 4 cyl with manual trans, 4.56 gears, and 33s make it up without too much clutch riding?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #76
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
No. the clamshell case means it'll basically explode the front diff on the gen 2. in a solid axle.. Yes. worth every penny.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #77
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
No. the clamshell case means it'll basically explode the front diff on the gen 2. in a solid axle.. Yes. worth every penny.
How you figure? I see a lot of video of IFS trucks doing that without breaking.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #78
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
I wasn't making a blanket statement, just about the Gate specifically. I plan to regear and add lockers this winter, and I can't wait to see what it opens up for me! I will add that learning the capability of your truck without lockers is probably the best way to go, and then adding them after you have basically maxed out your driving skills and unlocked truck's capability. Also, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
I've heard a lot of people tell James this...
LOL, very true.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #79
thefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
thefatkid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Says the cheater with a-trac.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #80
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
How you figure? I see a lot of video of IFS trucks doing that without breaking.
The clamshell will deflect and prematurely wear out your gears at best on 32s. On 37s in actual rock crawling it'll be enough to grenade the front end.