Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Front Locker: Is it worth it?

View Poll Results: Do you have a locker and have you used it.
No 41 50.00%
Yes, used it 0 times 3 3.66%
Yes, used it a few times 15 18.29%
Yes, I have used it and needed it many times. 23 28.05%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #81
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
I wasn't making a blanket statement, just about the Gate specifically. I plan to regear and add lockers this winter, and I can't wait to see what it opens up for me! I will add that learning the capability of your truck without lockers is probably the best way to go, and then adding them after you have basically maxed out your driving skills and unlocked truck's capability. Also, see below.

LOL, very true.
Got it.... no worries.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #82
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
I have needed it many times, but didnt have one so ive used the winch as my front locker. I want to get one, however its easier to pull winch cable than fix broken CVs which will now be a constant worry. So i keep flip flopping back and forth.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #83
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
I have needed it many times, but didnt have one so ive used the winch as my front locker. I want to get one, however its easier to pull winch cable than fix broken CVs which will now be a constant worry. So i keep flip flopping back and forth.
You only break CV's if you don't use the front locker correctly. I have used my front locker many times never have I worried about breaking anything. I would much rather push a button then get out pull cable and try and find a good anchor.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #84
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
When I go to LT in the front and do 35's with fiber glass ill regear and add the locker in the front. Atrac and a rear locker have been enough to get me through everything so far.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #85
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Question for those who have actually done this: Can a 4 cyl with manual trans, 4.56 gears, and 33s make it up without too much clutch riding?
It depends on the line. For some reason 1st gens have a harder time and get stuck in the shit line easier than 2nd gens, not are why, maybe the width? But if you stay way passenger side correctly you can put right up it with almost no clutch riding (I have an auto with 4.56 and had 33s at the time but I know what it takes to get up it). But if you fall more in the v you will spend a while trying to fix it.

Most of Moab can be done without a front locker. Certainly not needed except for the hardest obstacles (9+). A rear locker and good rear articulation is far more important.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #86
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
You only break CV's if you don't use the front locker correctly. I have used my front locker many times never have I worried about breaking anything. I would much rather push a button then get out pull cable and try and find a good anchor.
And what is using it correctly? Only on smooth sections of trail not near any obsticles?

I've broken 1 CV btw in 9yrs of wheeling 6 of those with a crawler and that was on the exit of a rock garden on a rock he size of a basket ball. Point is you never can tell when something will break.

I would still much rather pull cable than change a cv...
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #87
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if anyone else realizes this, but there is no one answer to any of this. Wheel what you brought. Good driving can make up for lack of equipment to some degree. If you have it and never use it then sweet. If you need it and don't have it well, nothing you can do about it.

Good to have? Yes
Do you need it? No
Can you wheel without one? Yes
Does it greatly add to control? Yes
Does you clam shell blow up immediately? No
Will it one day? Maybe, there are tons of variables.
Can you do the gate open/open? Yes
Does the ARB strengthen the front diff? Yes
Does it increase possibility of snapping a CV? Yes so do bigger tires
Can you snap a CV without a locker? Yes
Is a winch useful? Yes
Is this supposed to be funny? A little bit
Should you feel personally attacked by this? No

I have it and spent a bunch of money on it, so I am going to use it. I like trying some stuff open, but there is something satisfying about locking up and crawling over a tippy obstacle.

The most important thing I have learned about the front locker is you only use it when you need it. Don't turn with it on unless you have too and turn that shit off as soon as you don't need it!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #88

Quote:
And what is using it correctly? Only on smooth sections of trail not near any obsticles?

I've broken 1 CV btw in 9yrs of wheeling 6 of those with a crawler and that was on the exit of a rock garden on a rock he size of a basket ball. Point is you never can tell when something will break.

I would still much rather pull cable than change a cv...
Really smart azz. No correct use for you is in the drive way while you pretend to be driving it..

You don't leave the front locker on and try to turn over large rocks and such or smash skinny peddle to floor with tires spinning with no traction until they grab and break a CV. Use it only when necessary and then disengage. Anything can break at any time that's for sure. But being stupid makes things break much more frequently.
Now go pull some cable while I wheel on past using my front locker CORRECTLY. .
Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #89
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
How you figure? I see a lot of video of IFS trucks doing that without breaking.
What size tires were they running? On small tires, 35s and under, then yeah your IFS will be fine.

On real offroad tires, aka in the 40+ yes it'll snap that clam shell in half

Take a little stroll through pirate4x4 if you dont believe me.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #90
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
What size tires were they running? On small tires, 35s and under, then yeah your IFS will be fine.

No shit captain obvious. Literally nobody runs 40s on these trucks. It's not even realistically possible to fit them. The max on these ifs trucks is 37, which is very much a serious off road tire. And guess what, there are a few 1st and 2nd gens running 37s and a front locker and they don't just explode the clam shell. They are very experienced drivers which helps, and snap cvs more frequently depending on how hard the trail is.

At this point not having a front locker is holding me back. Is it worth it? Ya if you actually need it.

You can't just say "go look at pirate" as your reference and expect your opinion to be worth a damn.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #91
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
No shit captain obvious. Literally nobody runs 40s on these trucks. It's not even realistically possible to fit them. The max on these ifs trucks is 37, which is very much a serious off road tire. And guess what, there are a few 1st and 2nd gens running 37s and a front locker and they don't just explode the clam shell. They are very experienced drivers which helps, and snap cvs more frequently depending on how hard the trail is.

At this point not having a front locker is holding me back. Is it worth it? Ya if you actually need it.

You can't just say "go look at pirate" as your reference and expect your opinion to be worth a damn.
I said, if you dont believe me, go check pirate. As in there are a ton of real people offroading difficult trails that will agree with me.

You can run 40s on anything you want. I can put 40s on a honda civic. How attached to the body panels are you? and how much do you want to Fab?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...ale-trade.html

Tadaaa....

you should join up on there and tell him he's stupid, he should just run 37s with IFS.... lol

Oh and here is a honda civic built into an offroad machine. lol http://img1.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ine-buggy.html
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #92
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I want to see you fit 40s on a civic, when I say fit I mean full stuff locked.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #93
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh and here is a honda civic built into an offroad machine. lol http://img1.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ine-buggy.html
Maybe I'm blind but I don't see it.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #94
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I said, if you dont believe me, go check pirate. As in there are a ton of real people offroading difficult trails that will agree with me.

You can run 40s on anything you want. I can put 40s on a honda civic. How attached to the body panels are you? and how much do you want to Fab?

Tadaaa....

you should join up on there and tell him he's stupid, he should just run 37s with IFS.... lol

Stahp. Just stahp. Really.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #95
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Oh sorry. I forgot. No pointing out flaws in our trucks. lol
Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #96
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its not a flaw in our trucks. Show me a single production IFS differential that can handle 40" tires and hold up. I ran 37's on IFS with an ARB for a long time, and never cracked the clamshell in half like you say. I ran the same trails I run now on Dana 60's and 40's, I just had to beat on it that much harder back then.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #97

Quote:

Tadaaa....

Quote:
you are so dense. for real
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #98
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
R
You don't leave the front locker on and try to turn over large rocks and such or smash skinny peddle to floor with tires spinning with no traction until they grab and break a CV. Use it only when necessary and then disengage. Anything can break at any time that's for sure. But being stupid makes things break much more frequently.
Now go pull some cable while I wheel on past using my front locker CORRECTLY. .

Yea and guess what captain obvious when on large rocks, all bound up with no traction and the wheels turned is exactly when you need a front locker which was the point i was trying to make.

I will be right behind you walking up the same stuff open that you needed that front locker for! I only pull the cable for the hard stuff.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #99

Quote:
Yea and guess what captain obvious when on large rocks, all bound up with no traction and the wheels turned is exactly when you need a front locker which was the point i was trying to make.

I will be right behind you walking up the same stuff open that you needed that front locker for! I only pull the cable for the hard stuff.
You truly can't be this stupid. Well maybe you can. I never said you can't use on large rocks. You obviously have no idea how they work. I said turning over them while engaged. Pick your line use locker if you need to turn disengage pick new line engage again as needed. It's not hard to figure out. We'll maybe for you it is. Just keep tugging on your cable. Enjoy.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #100
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

First off you cant use pirate4x4 as a reference, 99% of that site is a dick measuring contest and seeing who can spend the most money.

Post pics of a snapped in half clam shell front trail wheeling that did not involve jumping.

Most trails can be done on tires smaller than 37's, it comes down to the driver, how long you want to take and what line you want to pick. So "real" offroad tire is 40+... Give me a break.