Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Front Locker: Is it worth it?

View Poll Results: Do you have a locker and have you used it.
No 41 50.00%
Yes, used it 0 times 3 3.66%
Yes, used it a few times 15 18.29%
Yes, I have used it and needed it many times. 23 28.05%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Front Locker: Is it worth it?

Okay so I am just ordered gears for my truck and a ARB front locker. My questions are!

1) Do you have one?

If yes

How many times have you used it?
How many times have you needed it?
If you could do it again would you have got one?

If No to question 1.

Do you want one?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Was in the process of making the same thread when I saw this pop up

sub'd
Old 04-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a wall crawler to me!

That's WALL....not MALL!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldnt you be putting alot of strain on the cv joints and front diff with one?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
Okay so I am just ordered gears for my truck and a ARB front locker. My questions are!

1) Do you have one?

If yes

How many times have you used it?
How many times have you needed it?
If you could do it again would you have got one?

If No to question 1.

Do you want one?
isn't it a little retarded to do research after you order the stuff?

all those questions you ask are solely based on the terrain the users experience in their region. No idea what kind of summary your looking to establish with this data??? Hell 95% of 4x4 vehicles never even see dirt.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

all those questions you ask are solely based on the terrain the users experience in their region. No idea what kind of summary your looking to establish with this data??? Hell 95% of 4x4 vehicles never even see dirt.
^^^^THIS.

But if you crawl or mud at all a front locker is a GREAT thing to have.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
^^^^THIS.

especially in the hard turns
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats man, its so worth it. Being able to get stuck good and get yourself out so easily it's awesome. If I don't make something first try, switch the locker on and usually do it no problem. I've used it at least a dozen times in less then a year. Especially for crawling it makes it so much more capable
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
Wouldnt you be putting alot of strain on the cv joints and front diff with one?
Na its not that bad unless your stupid with it, on the skinny pedal or trying to pop up on extreme terrain. Cv's will go before the diff and there easy to replace.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Front lockers are good if plan on doing any serious off roading. Not a must but I would rather have and not need then need and not have... just like a winch..
Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Well I am buying it regardless, but I am just curious what people's experiences are. Since I want to drive on as many terrains as possible I want to hear from everyone with a contribution to the question.

I am simply looking to see how many people have and have used/needed their locker. I have need my Rear a ton of times so and I am curious about the front.

If you don't have anything to contribute move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
^^^^THIS.

I plan on going all over the country wheelins so I will encounter any manor of terrain. I am going to Moab in May for the second time. I wheel in snow, mud, dunes, so I really don't need to pinpoint the terrain.

Rock pit summer
http://youtu.be/NmQ3DSgMbdM

Rock Pit Winter
http://youtu.be/JUvZ6mTwOts
http://youtu.be/8SRjMFN6wdU
Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
With the exception of certain recovery gear that you want to have BEFORE you need it - my general rule on stuff like this is:

Don't get it until you've already been somewhere that it would have been useful. Then you can assess for yourself whether it's worth the trouble and expense or not.

And if you never get to a place where you need it - well then - you've saved a lot of money and time.

Yes, this means you need to be willing, when confronted with a road, obstacle, terrain or place to turn around and say "next time." That's a useful skill to have. Someone who can't size up a situation and decide to turn around and come back to face it another day when better prepared, is someone who's going to break his truck (or worse.)

EDIT - to answer the question you asked instead of the question you didn't ask - used it a few times.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Get the locker and quit second guessing yourself. Talk to Pelfrey about his and Socaltaco65. They both have them and are well used.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
Wombat
romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Mechanic/Security
Name: Luis
romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I wouldnt say retarded, he can always return it or sell it to another tacoma guy on here if he doesnt install or want it. But i do see your point as to why he bought it before doing any research on it.

Im curious to hear replies from those that do have a locker in the front.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Congrats man, its so worth it. Being able to get stuck good and get yourself out so easily it's awesome. If I don't make something first try, switch the locker on and usually do it no problem. I've used it at least a dozen times in less then a year. Especially for crawling it makes it so much more capable
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
Front lockers are good if plan on doing any serious off roading. Not a must but I would rather have and not need then need and not have... just like a winch..
Thats how I feel. I plan on doing serious offroading all over the US/Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
With the exception of certain recovery gear that you want to have BEFORE you need it - my general rule on stuff like this is:

Don't get it until you've already been somewhere that it would have been useful. Then you can assess for yourself whether it's worth the trouble and expense or not.

And if you never get to a place where you need it - well then - you've saved a lot of money and time.

Yes, this means you need to be willing, when confronted with a road, obstacle, terrain or place to turn around and say "next time." That's a useful skill to have. Someone who can't size up a situation and decide to turn around and come back to face it another day when better prepared, is someone who's going to break his truck (or worse.)

EDIT - to answer the question you asked instead of the question you didn't ask - used it a few times.

I am regearing no matter what, so I am adding the locker because it is better to do it now than later. I am just looking for personal experiences from people.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo View Post
I wouldnt say retarded, he can always return it or sell it to another tacoma guy on here if he doesnt install or want it. But i do see your point as to why he bought it before doing any research on it.

Im curious to hear replies from those that do have a locker in the front.
I did plenty of research! lol

I just want to build a thread with good information for people who are in the same boat I was. I have been set on the purchase for a long time. I just would like to hear people's experiences with front lockers.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You are doing it right. If you are re gearing then have a locker installed now. Don't listen to Fools who say it is a waste. Maybe to them it is a waste because they have no need for lockers driving to the mall.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
You are doing it right. If you are re gearing then have a locker installed now. Don't listen to Fools who say it is a waste. Maybe to them it is a waste because they have no need for lockers driving to the mall.
listen to this guy he mobs through the hardest trails .
Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
listen to this guy he mobs through the hardest trails .
Hahaha hey you were right behind me.