LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Scepter MFC mount on the flat on a basket ? Anyone done it ?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

As the title states , has anyone done a Scepter MFC can mounted on it's side on a roof basket or rack system ?

I've seen some guys with a Rotopax mounted in this manner , wondering if anyone had done something similar with an MFC ?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Curious why you would want to put it up so high? Those damn things get heavy when full

I'm exploring different ways to mount in my bed or on my bed rack some how
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Curious why you would want to put it up so high? Those damn things get heavy when full

I'm exploring different ways to mount in my bed or on my bed rack some how

Because I don't want it inside the cap if I'm going to have a bed platform in there
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Because I don't want it inside the cap if I'm going to have a bed platform in there
Ahh makes sense. Do you have an aftermarket rear bumper? I like how Demello has the double swing out - one for the spare tire, and one for two jerry cans
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Ahh makes sense. Do you have an aftermarket rear bumper? I like how Demello has the double swing out - one for the spare tire, and one for two jerry cans

No

If I had a swing out it would be a no brainer

I've seen lots of jerry can mounts for single and double cans on roof baskets but the cans are either vertical or horizontal but never flat

With the Scepter MFC cans , the dimensions of the can are 18 1/2" tall , 14" front to back , and 6 1/2" thick

So if the can could mount laying flat , it would create the least amount to drag / extra height
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting idea Pete. I dont know if i've ever seen it like that.. Im going with a swing out jerry can holder so i dont have to worry about this issue but I'm curious to see whats out there already on this.

Bump.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

I sent Scepter an email regarding this concept and whether they feel there would be any potential issue with mounting the MFC in this orientation

I'll post their reply when I receive it
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking of something similar to MrGrimm's Rotopax setup but with a Scepter box mount

Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Im assuming you want them flat like the rotopax? or is this okay?

Edit: never mind, you want it completely flat, misunderstood when you were saying "on its side"-->someone did it on a roofrack on a fj
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Im assuming you want them flat like the rotopax? or is this okay?

Edit: never mind, you want it completely flat, misunderstood when you were saying "on its side"-->someone did it on a roofrack on a fj

Thanks for the link
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no worries. Only thing I would be concerned about mounting them on there sides, is they do expand a bit, and that will take a away the flat bottom. Also, the expansion may cause some issues when mounting them tight. Like mounting them un-expanded, and then they expand, and are even tighter in the mount.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
no worries. Only thing I would be concerned about mounting them on there sides, is they do expand a bit, and that will take a away the flat bottom. Also, the expansion may cause some issues when mounting them tight. Like mounting them un-expanded, and then they expand, and are even tighter in the mount.

Yeah , I considered that , I do have a couple of the cans and was planning on taking a measurement on one after leaving it in the sun for a while to get a minimum / maximium size
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
The mounting solution on that fj looks really sick. I dont think we have as much space as they do on the roof or do we? I strapped down two scepter water cans on my yakima megawarrior on my trip, so idk, it might work.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yeah , I considered that , I do have a couple of the cans and was planning on taking a measurement on one after leaving it in the sun for a while to get a minimum / maximium size
Sounds good, look forward to see what you come up with.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
This is all planning stage stuff for a cap rack I am dreaming up so you could be in for a bit of a wait , haha
Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #17

aha no worries, I don't think ill be starting my mounts any time soon.

I have been watching this build, and really liked how the guy did the locking mount on the can holder. Its not flat, but may be helpful. Post 70. May do something like it one day.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
There are a few solutions out there:

Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Wrong side

Like this

Products Discussed in this Thread