Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Lifting adivice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Bigev [OP] Bigev is offline
Junior Member
Bigev is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2014, #130805
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
Bigev's Tacoma Gallery
Lifting adivice

Hey guys, I got a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 last august. I'm looking to put a lift kit on it. I'm thinking three inches won't break the bank. Anyway, I don't know where to start. I've looked around but I figured I could come here for some advice. Can anyone throw out some good but affordable lifts? I'm running on a tight budget because I'm only 16 and cutting grass to fund my hobbies. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
AJE AJE is offline
Junior Member
AJE is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Joined: Jun 2014, #131026
Location: Hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
AJE's Tacoma Gallery
Well it all depends...

It all depends on what you'll use the truck for. If the lift is just for looks, use a body lift kit, which is the cheapest method (maybe $200-300). If the lift is for off roading, i would reccomend new leaf springs and coilovers/new struts, or a complete long distance travel kit. These are often very pricy, possibly $1000-2000+. For increased usability, i would say add-a-leafs and strut extensions (maybe $400-500). This would be a little more stiff and rough riding than a long distance travel, but you get what you pay for really. I would not use blocks, longer shackles, or preload the front coils, as these options usually lead to dammage and early wear. Hope this helped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
Tasty Taco
TacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TacoMitch93's Avatar
Name: Mitch
Joined: May 2014, #130530
Location: Nova Scotia
Age: 20
Gender: Guy
Posts: 307
TacoMitch93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
It all depends on what you'll use the truck for. If the lift is just for looks, use a body lift kit, which is the cheapest method (maybe $200-300). If the lift is for off roading, i would reccomend new leaf springs and coilovers/new struts, or a complete long distance travel kit. These are often very pricy, possibly $1000-2000+. For increased usability, i would say add-a-leafs and strut extensions (maybe $400-500). This would be a little more stiff and rough riding than a long distance travel, but you get what you pay for really. I would not use blocks, longer shackles, or preload the front coils, as these options usually lead to dammage and early wear. Hope this helped.

Do you know any websites that have decent selection?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
AJE AJE is offline
Junior Member
AJE is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Joined: Jun 2014, #131026
Location: Hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
AJE's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.allprooffroad.com/ - has excellent offroad lifts (again, very expensive, but probably best quality)

http://www.autoanything.com/

http://www.carid.com/

http://bilsteinlifts.com/

- All have a large selection of lifts and accessories
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Tasty Taco
TacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TacoMitch93's Avatar
Name: Mitch
Joined: May 2014, #130530
Location: Nova Scotia
Age: 20
Gender: Guy
Posts: 307
TacoMitch93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
https://www.allprooffroad.com/ - has excellent offroad lifts (again, very expensive, but probably best quality)

http://www.autoanything.com/

http://www.carid.com/

http://bilsteinlifts.com/

- All have a large selection of lifts and accessories
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Tasty Taco
TacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TacoMitch93's Avatar
Name: Mitch
Joined: May 2014, #130530
Location: Nova Scotia
Age: 20
Gender: Guy
Posts: 307
TacoMitch93's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Bilstein 5100, would I lose a lot of travel with this kit?
http://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/05-and...h-5100-shocks/
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
AJE AJE is offline
Junior Member
AJE is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Joined: Jun 2014, #131026
Location: Hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
AJE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMitch93 View Post
I like the Bilstein 5100, would I lose a lot of travel with this kit?
http://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/05-and...h-5100-shocks/

Probably. The 5100s are kinda crap. I wouldnt really use those for more than a 1-2 inch lift. If you want good travel, use 5125's or 5150's. The front struts are a little stiff too.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lifting.. toyozz777 2nd Gen. Tacomas 7 08-05-2012 07:04 PM
Lifting help please!!! Bama Suspension 7 07-26-2011 03:56 PM
Lifting Help! tcboss Suspension 9 02-27-2011 10:14 PM
After Lifting...... Fmsvandal Suspension 14 05-13-2010 03:55 PM
lifting help natebaur Suspension 3 02-24-2009 06:43 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.