1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the strangest/weirdest/craziest thing you have encountered while off-roading?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by RogueTRD, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD [OP] Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    As the title reads, please share your strange/weird/crazy trail stories.

2. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I don't ave anything crazy... But I did almost run over a grizzly bear going up a pass to a lookout tower at the conclusion of our first Montana TW meet. I was packin my shorts

3. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I drove onto a nude beach once........once. Accidentally.

4. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Warlocks

5. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    driving a trail out in bum fucking nowhere, found an oven, a couch, and a 50's television

6. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    It's Hawai'i... Is there really even a BFE to be found anywhere? I guess Maui had some remote places on the road to Hana, but nothing you could drive a pickup on.

7. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Driving my new 2005 Tacoma across the Baja mountains to find a wild fire had recently burned... My co-pilot spotted something and told me to stop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was on the road south of Mike's Sky Rancho... The rest of the story: http://vivabaja.com/905/

8. Jun 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    RogueTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    MMMMM.... BBQ snake!

9. Jun 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    That one was extra crispy! :D

10. Jun 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    kai38`

kai38` Well-Known Member

Member:
    The mexican army

They crossed the mx/NM border by "accident" I'm guessing.
    They waved us over, we hauled ass away and reported them.

11. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    RogueTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I'll add to my own thread. This happened a few years ago dirtbiking with my then girlfriend.

I came across a squatters camp about 15 miles up in the woods from the nearest "real" road. My girlfriend and I were bombing down this rutted old logging road and ended up in something out of a horror movie. In a clearing next to a collapsed old log cabin and rusted out car from the '40's or 50's. There were a couple tarp lean-tos, old broken down chairs, buckets, a few coolers, tons of garbage, and a couple tents. There was a fire pit with a fire still burning, but nobody around that we could see. We both felt really strange and it just felt wrong so we hauled ass out of there.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  12. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Lol that prob at wasn't the army, drug trafficking whilst posed as an army, you're lucky you left. Probably would have shot you for discovering them.

13. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    joshipps

joshipps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Sick dent
  14. Jun 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    While having lunch in a valley below a mountain pass and several switchbacks from where we had just come, someone in our group let out an exclamation of some kind and pointed back up towards the top. With the elevation difference from where we were and the highest switchback, I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle was tumbling end over end down the side of the mountain. I initially thought it was a old/small/early Jeep, but it turned out to be an ATV. It tumbled for several hundred yards and was little more than a parts pile when it came to a stop. The rider bailed the moment he realized he was moving too fast to make the turn/switchback (which was very tight; only very SWB vehicles could make it without backing up at all) and tumbled for about 15 yards. Luckily he didn't break anything on himself, but had a bunch of scratches with one being possibly stitches-worthy. Two vehicles in our group helped them out; a truck hauled out the mangled pile that was the ATV and the other vehicle was owned by a doctor, so he went with them to ensure they reached civilization.

Sadly, this kid was a friend of the family who owned the ATVs (there were three or four ATVs total), and the adult woman of that family was losing her mind over the trashed ATV versus giving a damn about the injured kid. A couple of folks in our group were ready to take her out back and set her straight, if you know what I mean. She was miserable.

None of the ATV riders were wearing helmets. Fortunately that kid didn't slam his head into anything.

15. Jun 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    We were up in the back roads in snowy range. Its not a very popular area and the back roads are almost always left alone. Out of no where we saw a red balloon float by about 3 feet off the ground. One of those get well soon ones. We laughed and drove on. About 30 minutes later we stop to piss and that damn balloon came floating by again.

16. Jun 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Dumb people who shouldn't be behind the wheel lmao...

There was this one time while at The Hammers a dude in his toyota buggie had caught up to our group and was hanging out in the very back of the line. He was having electrical issues and kept falling way behind so some of us decided to walk back to see how he was doing and all of sudden we hear "BAM BAM BAM" right before we get around a corner to where he was. He was so frustrated with the electrical issues he shot at his biggie lmao. Ended being the fuse to the EFI that he botched because he had relocated the fuse box. And all of his wiring had been redone with only using one color wire... red :facepalm:

17. Jun 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    ....and I almost rearended you when you slammed on hte brakes :laugh:
    :facepalm: freakin people...
    I came across a lady and three kids walking down the road last summer. She was out with the kids in a UTV and was doing donuts when it flipped. No helmets on any of them. The little boys banged his head pretty hard, had a bloody nose. The two girls had a little rock rash but otherwise fine. I dug some ice out of my cooler, gave the mom a box of kleenex and got them all in the bed of my truck (no room in the cab) and took them down to their ranch. We were getting everyone unloaded and the dad took off to check on the stupid UTV...didn't even ask how badly any one was hurt! I made the lady promise me that she would take the boy to the hospital and get him checked out since he whacked his head pretty good. Could have been so much worse...
    I'm a big fan of helmets - I wrecked a 4 wheeler when I was a kid and ended up with my head pinned between one of the tires and the road. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a helmet on that day. I was freakin sore for weeks but only bumps and bruises. Still have that helmet with the tire mark on one side and road rash on the other. :cool:

colorblind electrician? :notsure:

18. Jun 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    joshipps

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Sick dent
    Speaking of ATV riders lol...i rode up on one last summer who had flipped his fourwheeler doing donuts. He had his kids with him who thankfully had their own 4wheeler and were wearing helmets..unlike their father. Helped him flip it over and didn't even receive a thankyou. So i rode off and left a nice rooster tail behind leaving him with a lovely cloud of Bel-Ray smelling 2 stroke smoke to soak up.

19. Jun 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    It doesn't qualify as crazy around here anymore because its so commonplace but it never ceases to amaze me where people will go in Subarus. They're all wheel drive folks not 4 wheel drive! Big difference!

20. Jun 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    joshipps

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Sick dent
    Not gonna lie i would probably shred up some mountain roads with a Subie and some nice coilovers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top