Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

What's the strangest/weirdest/craziest thing you have encountered while off-roading?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
RogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
RogueTRD's Tacoma Gallery
What's the strangest/weirdest/craziest thing you have encountered while off-roading?

As the title reads, please share your strange/weird/crazy trail stories.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I don't ave anything crazy... But I did almost run over a grizzly bear going up a pass to a lookout tower at the conclusion of our first Montana TW meet. I was packin my shorts
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Warlocks
Old 06-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
driving a trail out in bum fucking nowhere, found an oven, a couch, and a 50's television
It's Hawai'i... Is there really even a BFE to be found anywhere? I guess Maui had some remote places on the road to Hana, but nothing you could drive a pickup on.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Too many to name, here's one...

Driving my new 2005 Tacoma across the Baja mountains to find a wild fire had recently burned... My co-pilot spotted something and told me to stop!

This was on the road south of Mike's Sky Rancho... The rest of the story: http://vivabaja.com/905/
Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
RogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud ofRogueTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Driving my new 2005 Tacoma across the Baja mountains to find a wild fire had recently burned... My co-pilot spotted something and told me to stop!

This was on the road south of Mike's Sky Rancho... The rest of the story: http://vivabaja.com/905/
MMMMM.... BBQ snake!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTRD View Post
MMMMM.... BBQ snake!
That one was extra crispy!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
The mexican army

They crossed the mx/NM border by "accident" I'm guessing.
They waved us over, we hauled ass away and reported them.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Marines:
I'll add to my own thread. This happened a few years ago dirtbiking with my then girlfriend.

I came across a squatters camp about 15 miles up in the woods from the nearest "real" road. My girlfriend and I were bombing down this rutted old logging road and ended up in something out of a horror movie. In a clearing next to a collapsed old log cabin and rusted out car from the '40's or 50's. There were a couple tarp lean-tos, old broken down chairs, buckets, a few coolers, tons of garbage, and a couple tents. There was a fire pit with a fire still burning, but nobody around that we could see. We both felt really strange and it just felt wrong so we hauled ass out of there.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
The mexican army

They crossed the mx/NM border by "accident" I'm guessing.
They waved us over, we hauled ass away and reported them.
Lol that prob at wasn't the army, drug trafficking whilst posed as an army, you're lucky you left. Probably would have shot you for discovering them.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
JDM is on a distinguished road
Name: Jimmy
JDM's Tacoma Gallery
While having lunch in a valley below a mountain pass and several switchbacks from where we had just come, someone in our group let out an exclamation of some kind and pointed back up towards the top. With the elevation difference from where we were and the highest switchback, I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle was tumbling end over end down the side of the mountain. I initially thought it was a old/small/early Jeep, but it turned out to be an ATV. It tumbled for several hundred yards and was little more than a parts pile when it came to a stop. The rider bailed the moment he realized he was moving too fast to make the turn/switchback (which was very tight; only very SWB vehicles could make it without backing up at all) and tumbled for about 15 yards. Luckily he didn't break anything on himself, but had a bunch of scratches with one being possibly stitches-worthy. Two vehicles in our group helped them out; a truck hauled out the mangled pile that was the ATV and the other vehicle was owned by a doctor, so he went with them to ensure they reached civilization.

Sadly, this kid was a friend of the family who owned the ATVs (there were three or four ATVs total), and the adult woman of that family was losing her mind over the trashed ATV versus giving a damn about the injured kid. A couple of folks in our group were ready to take her out back and set her straight, if you know what I mean. She was miserable.

None of the ATV riders were wearing helmets. Fortunately that kid didn't slam his head into anything.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
We were up in the back roads in snowy range. Its not a very popular area and the back roads are almost always left alone. Out of no where we saw a red balloon float by about 3 feet off the ground. One of those get well soon ones. We laughed and drove on. About 30 minutes later we stop to piss and that damn balloon came floating by again.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Dumb people who shouldn't be behind the wheel lmao...

There was this one time while at The Hammers a dude in his toyota buggie had caught up to our group and was hanging out in the very back of the line. He was having electrical issues and kept falling way behind so some of us decided to walk back to see how he was doing and all of sudden we hear "BAM BAM BAM" right before we get around a corner to where he was. He was so frustrated with the electrical issues he shot at his biggie lmao. Ended being the fuse to the EFI that he botched because he had relocated the fuse box. And all of his wiring had been redone with only using one color wire... red
Old 06-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I don't ave anything crazy... But I did almost run over a grizzly bear going up a pass to a lookout tower at the conclusion of our first Montana TW meet. I was packin my shorts
....and I almost rearended you when you slammed on hte brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
While having lunch in a valley below a mountain pass and several switchbacks from where we had just come, someone in our group let out an exclamation of some kind and pointed back up towards the top. With the elevation difference from where we were and the highest switchback, I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle was tumbling end over end down the side of the mountain. I initially thought it was a old/small/early Jeep, but it turned out to be an ATV. It tumbled for several hundred yards and was little more than a parts pile when it came to a stop. The rider bailed the moment he realized he was moving too fast to make the turn/switchback (which was very tight; only very SWB vehicles could make it without backing up at all) and tumbled for about 15 yards. Luckily he didn't break anything on himself, but had a bunch of scratches with one being possibly stitches-worthy. Two vehicles in our group helped them out; a truck hauled out the mangled pile that was the ATV and the other vehicle was owned by a doctor, so he went with them to ensure they reached civilization.

Sadly, this kid was a friend of the family who owned the ATVs (there were three or four ATVs total), and the adult woman of that family was losing her mind over the trashed ATV versus giving a damn about the injured kid. A couple of folks in our group were ready to take her out back and set her straight, if you know what I mean. She was miserable.

None of the ATV riders were wearing helmets. Fortunately that kid didn't slam his head into anything.
freakin people...
I came across a lady and three kids walking down the road last summer. She was out with the kids in a UTV and was doing donuts when it flipped. No helmets on any of them. The little boys banged his head pretty hard, had a bloody nose. The two girls had a little rock rash but otherwise fine. I dug some ice out of my cooler, gave the mom a box of kleenex and got them all in the bed of my truck (no room in the cab) and took them down to their ranch. We were getting everyone unloaded and the dad took off to check on the stupid UTV...didn't even ask how badly any one was hurt! I made the lady promise me that she would take the boy to the hospital and get him checked out since he whacked his head pretty good. Could have been so much worse...
I'm a big fan of helmets - I wrecked a 4 wheeler when I was a kid and ended up with my head pinned between one of the tires and the road. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a helmet on that day. I was freakin sore for weeks but only bumps and bruises. Still have that helmet with the tire mark on one side and road rash on the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Dumb people who shouldn't be behind the wheel lmao...

There was this one time while at The Hammers a dude in his toyota buggie had caught up to our group and was hanging out in the very back of the line. He was having electrical issues and kept falling way behind so some of us decided to walk back to see how he was doing and all of sudden we hear "BAM BAM BAM" right before we get around a corner to where he was. He was so frustrated with the electrical issues he shot at his biggie lmao. Ended being the fuse to the EFI that he botched because he had relocated the fuse box. And all of his wiring had been redone with only using one color wire... red
colorblind electrician?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
Señor Member
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of ATV riders lol...i rode up on one last summer who had flipped his fourwheeler doing donuts. He had his kids with him who thankfully had their own 4wheeler and were wearing helmets..unlike their father. Helped him flip it over and didn't even receive a thankyou. So i rode off and left a nice rooster tail behind leaving him with a lovely cloud of Bel-Ray smelling 2 stroke smoke to soak up.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't qualify as crazy around here anymore because its so commonplace but it never ceases to amaze me where people will go in Subarus. They're all wheel drive folks not 4 wheel drive! Big difference!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
Señor Member
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
It doesn't qualify as crazy around here anymore because its so commonplace but it never ceases to amaze me where people will go in Subarus. They're all wheel drive folks not 4 wheel drive! Big difference!
Not gonna lie i would probably shred up some mountain roads with a Subie and some nice coilovers