Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

What legitimatley constitutes an "Off Road" designation to you?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
What legitimatley constitutes an "Off Road" designation to you?

In your opinion what would be the minimum setup required for legitimatly calling your rig "off road"? I would like to add this label to my taco when I repaint it but certainly don't want to be a poser etc like those guys with the 4x4 emblem on there prerunner. I posted on tthe Facebook page but it went no where. My junk is a 2011v6 dcsb 4x4 SR5.
I know everyone has there own ideas but let's think minimum legitimacy here. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
You want to modify yor rig to be "off road like" so you can put a sticker on it that says "off road"

This is such a great troll. Well done.

But in case you are serious, by asking this you have already reached and passed the poser status, there is no help for you.

If you want your truck to actually be an off road rig, take it off road, wheel the piss out of and see what breaks and what you find you need. Then buy shit and repeat.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Woooooowwwww
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
the little red truck that could
outdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutdoorAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
outdoorAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
You want to modify yor rig to be "off road like" so you can put a sticker on it that says "off road"

This is such a great troll. Well done.

But in case you are serious, by asking this you have already reached and passed the poser status, there is no help for you.

If you want your truck to actually be an off road rig, take it off road, wheel the piss out of and see what breaks and what you find you need. Then buy shit and repeat.
QFT
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Putting a sticker on it doesn't increase its performance. It won't add any value to it either. I just don't think I can permit you to do this though.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
LOL I know. It wasn't about the sticker, its about my curiousity as to what the off road community believes is worthy of the designation.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
Off-road can be anything from a stock Tacoma to a purpose built crawler. It's what you do with it that makes it "off-road".
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #9
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
LOL I know. It wasn't about the sticker, its about my curiousity as to what the off road community believes is worthy of the designation.
Who cares just hit the trails.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I peeled my stickers off. Does that mean mine can only be "on-road"?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #11
Dwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
You've got to lower it so that your center of gravity remains low. Then you put the biggest tire you can fit by trimming the shit out of the fenders. You can prolly fit 37's if you cut enough. And don't be scared to cut. It almost always looks great. The icing on the cake is to take a bucket of dirty water and pour it on the engine bay because if your motor isn't dirty then you don't wheel hard enough.

Or you could just take it offroad.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Only once you have taken it . . . wait for it . . . off the road!

For example, this is an off road Prius. Now, replace the Prius with your truck, and it willl have been, off road.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
If you added a locker to a 4x4. I would allow you to put the trd offroad sticker on your truck.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
We did have a guy get stuck a month or so ago. I told him just turn on his locker and he would get out. He said I dont have a locker. I said but you have a trd offroad sticker. He goes. I just added it cuz it looks cool.I go. Not cool!. Ill go get the tow rope.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
Define "off-road" first then define compared to what.

Are gravel roads, minimum maintenance roads, marked trails or unmarked trails considered off-road? If you didn't care about the damage, you could take a Ferrari down many minimum maintenance roads so is a Ferrari a off-road vehicle? Which leads to the second part of the question which is "compared to what".

Depending on the area in question, you could take a minivan, AWD wagon or any truck/SUV over groomed core trails. Does that make a minivan an off-road vehicle? Does a vehicle need 4WD to be considered off-road? What about desert runners and pre-runners?

Point is, calling a vehicle "Off-Road" is a marketing gimmick used by manufacturers to distinguish their particular product. If you want to put off-road decals on your Tacoma, then do it.

On a separate note, if you're concerned about coming off as a poser by putting a sticker on your truck, you have other issues to settle first.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
RND2 will become famous soon enoughRND2 will become famous soon enough

RND2's Tacoma Gallery
When
Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #17

RND2's Tacoma Gallery
A couple times a year the farmers pick there fields and drag dirt onto the road sometimes up to an inch and I get to go off roading on my way to work.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like my intent didn't come across as I hoped. Oh well it happens. I should've expected everyone would have a different idea of off road. But thanks for the opinions they're noted.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #19
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winker View Post
Putting a sticker on it doesn't increase its performance. It won't add any value to it either. I just don't think I can permit you to do this though.
but it does add 5hp

That being said, I took all my emblems off. I was even lookingfor pee-runner mudflaps so my truck could be a sleeper.... Cralwin up to some rocks, then engage 4x4, shock people!! CRAZY!! lol
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #20

RND2's Tacoma Gallery
/::;