Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

2013 4x4 4cylinder base off road?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
chofmann is on a distinguished road
chofmann's Tacoma Gallery
2013 4x4 4cylinder base off road?

Ok guys ... getting ready to make a big purchase tomorrow or the next day and want to make sure its the right one.

Will the 2013 4x4 4 banger... with a 3 inch lift and 31s.. get me to pretty much where I want to go?? how are they off-road? and do they do the job...
come on people I need your help hahaha
Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Rainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0331/1391
Rainman998's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is stock other than tires. It will get you pretty damn far, I've even pulled out some lifted Z71's out of the snow and mud. I think you would be fine but a 3" lift could fit 285's
Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
chofmann is on a distinguished road
chofmann's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman998 View Post
Mine is stock other than tires. It will get you pretty damn far, I've even pulled out some lifted Z71's out of the snow and mud. I think you would be fine but a 3" lift could fit 285's

so you have the 4 cylinder ??? and yea I just boughts 31s in december that im going to transfer over.. then ill go a little bigger.

I really just don't wanna get stuck is my main issue.. and to be honest I really don't know which one to get.. but the 4 banger is newer, less miles, way cleaner on the inside.. and I can get it lifted in no time with my all terrains. My main focus is will the 4 cyclinder get me to where I wanna go? Will it climb.. and go through sand.. or even some clay slop. If it will do all that stuff then I know what im going to get
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
SteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
I know there are a few of the 4-banger guys on here that would say their trucks are amazing off road. If you're getting a 4x4 you are limited to a regular cab or an access cab so they should be fairly light.

I think a few of them re-gear when they lift though so I'd have to let them chime in on that.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
doubleroses is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Joe
doubleroses's Tacoma Gallery
I'd spend the money on a slightly older 6 cylinder 4X4. Spend the money now instead of realizing you want more power later.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine for offroading, that is what the low range is for. Then down the line if you want to lift it and put bigger tires than the 31's, just regear to gain the power back. You could also make some changes to the transfer case and lower your gearing when you are in 4lo.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
The four cyl has plenty of power for off road. As BVCO Taco said - that's what lo-range is for.

Where folks grouse about power (if they do) is having to downshift at freeway speed from 5th to 4th at the first sign of an upgrade and 4th to 3rd on any kind of a real hill.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
you dont have to worry about it getting stuck
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Happy?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The 4cyl make tons of power and torque for its size. The only time a bigger engine is really needed would be in sand or really steep long loose/sandy hill climbs.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Off-Road, they are just as capable as any other Tacoma with similar mods.

On Road, it depends on what you need it to do. Do you haul/tow heavy stuff a lot or have to travel across high elevation areas (like mountains)? if so, it might be a little under powered for you. But from my experience, the little 2.7 performs just fine as a DD.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
Just speculating but if you are someone who likes driving ten over the speed limit you may wind up burning just as much fuel on the hwy in a 4 cyl as you would in a 6 since it will have to work harder. Around town and at lower speeds you'll do a little better.

From what I've read on this site the auto is a better tranny than the manual 6 but I'm guessing the 4 cyl comes with a manual 5 so I don't know if the auto is still a better transmission.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Banned
Loony is on a distinguished road
Loony's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 1987 Toyota 4cyl 4x4 with stock gears and 33x12.5 tires and I went everywhere I wanted to go.

The Toyota 4cyl has all the power you need to off road.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you get the manual. Auto with the 4 banger will suck out loud.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
4banger is great offroad, it's on the road you wish you had more power

Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #16
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 07 regular cab with 32 in. Cooper st 's on it. By far my most favorite truck to off-road in. Weaker than a popcorn fart in 4 hi but would crawl over anything in 4 low. I liked it better than my 2012 off-road with the same tires, and my 2014 4 runner. Although the runner still has the stock craptastic tires on it, but it's showing some real promise. When deer season comes around I really miss my little old base model
Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
OahuGrown88 is on a distinguished road

Army:
OahuGrown88's Tacoma Gallery
It's more than capable off road. 4Lo has plenty of power and 4Hi did it's job well on snow and iced highways after an above average winter last season in NC. I have a 2014 AC base 4x4. Currently running 32in tires and a 3in lift and it is great off road. Having added a winch has also made it more capable, as well as increase piece of mind. Yes there are times when encountering steep uphills while driving on the highway that more power is desired, for me it's not a big deal, but it is something to take into consideration. Overall I enjoy my truck on and off road.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
The short wheelbase of the standard cab is more beneficial off-road than the power. If that's what you're looking at.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
StickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
StickShifty's Tacoma Gallery
I have driven both. And as far as off reading you will be fine. Use the gear to your advantage. low range and gear selection a top priority.

In deep sand you want more torque but not too much to keep wheel spin down. I have found that between the new jersey deep sand and running 12 psi. It takes a lot to keep momentum up.

But for towing, hauling, and hills the 4cyl is a slug.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw4x4 View Post
4banger is great offroad, it's on the road you wish you had more power

Careful with that water!! I know this too well haha