Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Ouray Colorado

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
chasdw is on a distinguished road
chasdw's Tacoma Gallery
Ouray Colorado

A few pics of my truck in the Ouray CO area...

Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that's some purty country.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
MICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shedMICK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan Thy Man
MICK's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics

Man, I love Colorado...
Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
chasdw's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, it is beautiful country. I think this might become an annual trip for the family.

Incidentally we were in Ouray the same time as the FJ Summit.

There are some cool vehicles out there.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
So much fun up there, what trails did you do? The wife and I were just up there a few weeks back running Engineer Pass, 9ft+ of snow up top still.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
chasdw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
So much fun up there, what trails did you do? The wife and I were just up there a few weeks back running Engineer Pass, 9ft+ of snow up top still.
Corkscrew Gulch & Hurricane Pass
We did make a wrong turn on or going to Hurricane Pass and ended up on private property. Somebody was not very happy with us but at least they did not come out guns a blazin'.

Million Dollar highway from Ouray to Silverton on into Animas Forks. From there we did the Alpine Loop. Engineer Pass to Lake City and Cinnamon Pass back to Silverton with a side trip to American Basin.

Ophir Pass with the alternate trip to Alta Lakes. Alta Lakes was beautiful. Explored some back roads around Alta Lakes. Drove into Telluride and took Imogene Pass back to Ouray.

Mineral Creek Pass

Red Mountain Pass

All were different in difficulty/scenery. We ran into the most snow on Imogene Pass. Several Walls that were above the truck.

Next Year Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch will be on the agenda.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
We love our state...especially in the summer Ouray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166416.816402.jpgOuray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166424.083620.jpgOuray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166446.468596.jpgOuray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166463.003529.jpgOuray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166478.955018.jpgOuray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166500.439870.jpgOuray Colorado-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406166521.592040.jpg
Old 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
RogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRogueTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
RogueTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Very beautiful country, I'd love to go there sometime.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdw View Post
Corkscrew Gulch & Hurricane Pass
We did make a wrong turn on or going to Hurricane Pass and ended up on private property. Somebody was not very happy with us but at least they did not come out guns a blazin'.

Million Dollar highway from Ouray to Silverton on into Animas Forks. From there we did the Alpine Loop. Engineer Pass to Lake City and Cinnamon Pass back to Silverton with a side trip to American Basin.

Ophir Pass with the alternate trip to Alta Lakes. Alta Lakes was beautiful. Explored some back roads around Alta Lakes. Drove into Telluride and took Imogene Pass back to Ouray.

Mineral Creek Pass

Red Mountain Pass

All were different in difficulty/scenery. We ran into the most snow on Imogene Pass. Several Walls that were above the truck.

Next Year Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch will be on the agenda.
How long did this trip take? Wish you had more time? Was the amount of time you spent this trip ideal?

I was going to go to the same area this past weekend; I had four days off. I would use two days for driving (one day to CO from Texas and one day back) and spend two days driving around the area.

Sadly I was overruled by the lady and we ended up at Padre Island National Seashore and San Antonio, instead.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Sean266's Lover
Aces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shedAces and 8s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Aces and 8s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Thread jacker!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
chasdw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
How long did this trip take? Wish you had more time? Was the amount of time you spent this trip ideal?

I was going to go to the same area this past weekend; I had four days off. I would use two days for driving (one day to CO from Texas and one day back) and spend two days driving around the area.

Sadly I was overruled by the lady and we ended up at Padre Island National Seashore and San Antonio, instead.

For when you do get to go...

I never have enough time in Ouray.

This is a great book that covers some of the trails: http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?It...t_product_id=3

Also, this app ties into their book. The app for your phone or tablet ties into the book. http://www.everytrail.com/search.php...rado&sent=true

These have great descriptions about the trails, side excursions while you are on the trail.

Leave enough time to stop and enjoy the land, breath in the fresh thin air at 13,000 feet.

Use the tools I mentioned and you should be able to plan what trails you could do in the time you have allotted. Remember to add in the time driving to the trail head and back to where you are staying.

For instance, we drove Ophir pass into Telluride and Imogene pass back to Ouray. We took a side trip to Alta Lakes after we exited Ophir. Spent some time at the lakes, explored trails around the lake, the ghost town etc. Then we drove into Telluride and spent time in the town walking around and exploring. Then drove Imogene back to Ouray for dinner. We left our cabin at 8AM and did not get back to our cabin until 8PM.

The same goes for the Alpine Loop. This set of trails with a short side trip or two will take you all day long. (a good 10 to 12 hours from where you are staying in Ouray back to where you are staying in Ouray)
We usually take our time, take in the beautiful country, stop and hike, explore some hiking etc.

I hope this helps...
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdw View Post
For when you do get to go...

I never have enough time in Ouray.

This is a great book that covers some of the trails: http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?It...t_product_id=3

Also, this app ties into their book. The app for your phone or tablet ties into the book. http://www.everytrail.com/search.php...rado&sent=true

These have great descriptions about the trails, side excursions while you are on the trail.

Leave enough time to stop and enjoy the land, breath in the fresh thin air at 13,000 feet.

Use the tools I mentioned and you should be able to plan what trails you could do in the time you have allotted. Remember to add in the time driving to the trail head and back to where you are staying.

For instance, we drove Ophir pass into Telluride and Imogene pass back to Ouray. We took a side trip to Alta Lakes after we exited Ophir. Spent some time at the lakes, explored trails around the lake, the ghost town etc. Then we drove into Telluride and spent time in the town walking around and exploring. Then drove Imogene back to Ouray for dinner. We left our cabin at 8AM and did not get back to our cabin until 8PM.

The same goes for the Alpine Loop. This set of trails with a short side trip or two will take you all day long. (a good 10 to 12 hours from where you are staying in Ouray back to where you are staying in Ouray)
We usually take our time, take in the beautiful country, stop and hike, explore some hiking etc.

I hope this helps...
Thanks for the link. I did pick up "Backroads and 4WD Trails" off Amazon and that is a great source of information.

I guess I was just wondering if spending two days in CO would be worth the drive from Texas.

PS The Tacoma does kick ass, even in deep sand that supposedly has stopped other 4WD vehicles!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
These pics are making me anxious! I will be up there in 7 days! Looks like you had fun!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and 8s View Post
Thread jacker!

Sorry you all in CA cant share these same outdoor feelings