Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

opinions on off road caravans ?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I recently did a 4 day trip with 3 other rigs. I had a lot of fun, and I think 4 was perfect. I have done short trips before with 10+. It was ok, because it was for a good cause, and it was short. If it were longer than a few hours it would have been real annoying.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
What Max said, x2.

Since 2009 I have completed numerous back country trips solo, and I've loved every one of them. One year I teamed up with another Tacoma owner that I randomly met in Death Valley to take Lippincott pass together.
X3. I do 99% of my trips solo. Extremely rewarding. Go anywhere on a whim. And on your own time allowment.

Got to be over prepared to do it, but it's worth the expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I wonder how Harry Devert feels about that now? Or the other missing motorcyclist?

Baja might be safer but traveling anywhere remote, especially out of the country, you really need to stay aware of your situation.
I'd pass on Mexico, hate to have my mom get a note from the cartels asking for a ransom she couldn't afford and never hearing from me again. That and being beheaded and all...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #23
You gonna eat your cornbread?
Possum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Possum Fat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Are you anywhere near Poteau or Heavner ??

Yeah fairly close.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #24
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum Fat View Post
Yeah fairly close.

Nice... I have family in both places....glad I'm not there right now tho' fucking summers are brutal....
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #25
Possum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My biggest issue with going to Mexico is you have no way of defending yourself down there.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Nice... I have family in both places....glad I'm not there right now tho' fucking summers are brutal....
It's actually really nice right now. Just had a cigar out on the back deck. Low 70s and raining. Had a lot of rain this summer and only maybe 4-5 days of 100 or more degrees. Pretty decent summer but the ticks and mosquitoes are absolutely shifty right now.

Ever do any wheelin around here?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum Fat View Post
My biggest issue with going to Mexico is you have no way of defending yourself down there.
Mexico is a beautiful place,especially along the coast & generally the further south you go the friendlier & more respectful folks are...

& I can respect the fact that David has logged alot of time down there problem free, but it only takes 1 time of being jacked up by bandits, or worse, corrupt mexican cops/federales & their judicial system is pretty much a joke, thats the only point I try to make, if you get rolled up down there for something deemed illegal , doesn't matter if you're guilty or innocent, you are in for a very rough time this I promise..
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #28
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
their judicial system is pretty much a joke, thats the only point I try to make, if you get rolled up down there for something deemed illegal , doesn't matter if you're guilty or innocent, you are in for a very rough time this I promise..
In Mexico, the burden of proof is on the accused. Huge difference between here and there. We enjoy a set of freedoms that many in the rest of the world do not.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #29
Wyzinski is on a distinguished road
Navy: Supply-USS BlueRidge LCC-19
Name: Edward
Wyzinski's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on off road caravans

Family type? Don't know where ur at but...check out "Ol skool 4X4 off road adventures" for ideas. There r a bunch clubs around...clean fun, bunch of good guys, if you break down, they got ur back. You know the adage: We don't leave no one behind!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #31
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
In Mexico, the burden of proof is on the accused. Huge difference between here and there. We enjoy a set of freedoms that many in the rest of the world do not.
It goes alot further than that really, its the corruption of law enforcement down there, & it exist at all levels,

I remember when I was about 9 being in mexico with my mom & my aunt, my mom had accidentally ran halfway past a stop sign (which was about a 2'x2' , sitting on top of a 5 gal. bucket, & the bucket was on the sidewalk next to a street corner, God's truth)

& there just happened to be Tijuana cop right there.. He pulls us over, he speaks little english & my mom & aunt speak even less spanish & things got heated on his side, he found a translator of sorts & told my mom she was going to be put under arrest, all property was going to be confiscated

& she was going to stay in jail until her husband (my dad) figured out shes missing & came looking, just a real asshole, by now shes crying like hell & no doubt, scared as fuck, before we were to follow them, to their police station the cop was talking to another cop briefly, comes back to my mom & says " $20....you home,,casa... I couldn't believe it, my mom was getting shook down by some POS with a badge & gun... $20 was alot of money at one time & it was damned lucky that she DID have a $20 on her, so she gave it over & that piece of shit didn't even have the decency to point us to the border exits
Old 07-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #32
Banned
Loony is on a distinguished road
Loony's Tacoma Gallery
Baja south of Ensenada is generally pretty safe but not from shakedowns from Mexican police/military.
Personally I would never travel on mainland Mexico outside of the major resorts.
However, when I was young (mid 80's) our family used to travel often to Baja and did numerous road trips down there.
The previous poster who says that America has its dangers as well is correct. I think I would rather travel down Baja than visit Chicago, DC , Miami or Memphis.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #33
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Juarez,mex. is the numero una 1# murder capital of the world right now, fucking shooting gallery, point is , yeah theres crime all over,, but down there the ones who ruin your life are just as likely corrupt cops

oh well on topic... I like wheeling alone just fine, I know my limits but a couple of capable guys are always welcome as well
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #34
Banned
Loony is on a distinguished road
Loony's Tacoma Gallery
Back to caravans......when I go off roading out in the wilderness I like to be in the wilderness. I have noticed in caravans its very popular for everyone to have 20 high powered lights on and lighting up the whole earth.
I like the darkness.
If I wanted lights everywhere I would stay in the city.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #35
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
You will thank your lights when you have time to stop before you hit the black cow standing in the middle of the road.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #36
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
You will thank your lights when you have time to stop before you hit the black cow standing in the middle of the road.
So true.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #37
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that's okay... good thing America has lots of places to off road so nobody who is afraid needs to go to Baja. I am not selfish about sharing what I see and experience, so I will continue on. I go to Baja because I want to. I feel safer where I go in Baja than most places I could go to in the USA. I am a Californian, and since Baja was California first, perhaps there is some ancient connection I have with Old California (Baja California) and why I like writing about the history of Old California.