1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time off roading in Colorado - New 2014 DC TRD 4x4 - Newb Questions

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by AZDre, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    AZDre

AZDre [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    A-trac is incredible... it really does put the truck on a whole different level in terms of climbing performance, cant speak more highly of it.

Glad to know I*can take the mud flaps off then... thank you sir

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Nerf bars aren't sliders. Nerfs are generally made of a thinner metal and are more meant as steps rather than protection. Plus the purpose of sliders is to "slide" across the rocks, which is not easily done with the steps.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Aug 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The first gen flaps were rubber, the moved, and were great. The second gen flaps are stiff plastic and break off when they bump the ground, fail!

4. Aug 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    PS78

PS78 I like beer, I brew beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rancher
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    to many to list, check the build thread
    THIS^^^

id save up just a little more coin and get weld on or bolt on designed rock sliders instead, much more stout if you plan on wheeling even a little bit they will save you the money 10 fold if you bang up your nerf bars into the rocker panel. the nerf bar step will bend and protect you a little bit but if you come down on them hard they will almost cause more damage than if you didnt have em on.

5. Aug 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Go with a 3 inch lift. Scraping is ok. Dents are not. If you are going to really wheel aftermarket skids and sliders are a must. Here is the bottom of my 2014

[​IMG]

6. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    AZDre

AZDre [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Didn't occur to me they could actually do more damage... I'll have to do some research on good nerf bars.

7. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    AZDre

AZDre [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Pretty rad setup you have there sir

8. Aug 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    All nerf bars do that. You'll need sliders if you want offroad protection lol. The thinner metal on the nerf bars doesn't stand up to hard impacts. It may be ok if you come down slow on something but that's not always the case. They'll bend up and whack your quarter panels.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Aug 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    Sciomar

Sciomar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    3" Procomp coilover lift Matt's TRD skid plate
    I'll second the anti Procomp lift post, steer clear of it if you plan to do a lot of off-roading. My Procomp rides rough. Save for a quality lift that does not involve blocks. If I could go back I would've saved for an Icon setup.

Don't let the 4WP talk into nerfs instead of sliders and get a good aftermarket skid plate.

10. Aug 15, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I would get sliders, skid plates and a rear locker before you lift it. Wheeling it stock height like that will make you a much better driver and the truck can grow as your skill increases. Winchs are pretty nice as well, although you dont see the true value in them until you need it and dont have one.

11. Aug 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I read all the time that the skinny tires do better in wintery conditions. I think the reason is that they cut through instead of float on top...or something like that. I don't get much snow experience in Texas :cool:.

I was waiting for someone to suggest sliders. $5-600 is a bit pricey. I think I paid about $300 to get ones from Relentless.

http://www.relentlessfabrication.us/online-store.php#!/~/product/category=3368787&id=25826702

Agreed. I've been pleased with the fit of my AllPro skid plate. I want to get the transmission skid to go along with the IFS. Haven't really tested thoroughly. I got it when they did free shipping and a free hoodie. They do promotions through here from time to time.

I just went to pull the link for the IFS skid that I have and noticed that sliders are on sale for 15% off right now. "SLIDER15" is the coupon code. Here is a link to the AllPro trail armor:

I hear too many people who say that nerf bars can actually cause more damage because they reduce ground clearance.

FTFY

[​IMG]

12. Aug 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah typo haha. And thank you for finding a pic, I've only been searching forever to find one for an example :laugh:

13. Aug 21, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    WillT

WillT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '21 Colorado ZR2 Bison
    I've got BAMF sliders and the group buy we did them under put them at just over $500 with shipping. Just checked out the Relentless link and for a DC Shortbed with shipping they clock in at $452 ($339 for the sliders themselves). If you go whole hog and get the DCSB sized, DOM outer tubes, and powdercoat you're looking at $544 for the sliders and $115 for shipping which is pretty comparable to the BAMF ones I got.

14. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Fair enough. I think I was out like $360 after shipping, but I went HREW. Sadly, I haven't had much opportunity to test them out.

Products Discussed in

To Top