Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

First time off roading in Colorado - New 2014 DC TRD 4x4 - Newb Questions

Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
AZDre is on a distinguished road

AZDre's Tacoma Gallery
First time off roading in Colorado - New 2014 DC TRD 4x4 - Newb Questions

Hey Guys,

I took my one week old 2014 DC TRD 4x4 on a moderate off road trail for the first time yesterday; very badass truck, very capable of climbing like a goat. Put it in 4 Low and hit the A-TRAC button, zero tire slip up some challenging stuff. I was amazed. Also looked ten times cooler than any jeeps on the trail.

(If anyone is familiar with this trail - its called Pole Hill in Estes Park CO. Very fun, and a little challenging in some parts for my first time on a trail)

I have a couple questions / concerns if someone could shed some advice

1) Rock contact on undercarriage -- is any amount of rock scraping on the bottom of your truck acceptable? The noises certainly make you cringe at some parts... what is the general rule of thumb here?

2) Mud flaps -- does everyone take their mud flaps for real off roading? They seemed to be scraping any decent size rocks i was going over, also contributing to some pretty uncomfortable noises (sometimes it was hard to tell if it was the undercarriage or mud flaps that were scraping rocks). Can taking off the mud flaps lead to chipping or damage on the lower body of your truck where debris should be stopped by the flap?

3) 4x4/trailing upgrades -- a 4" lift seemed like it might really benefit here, but your center of gravity also goes much higher. Are there any specific lifts or lift heights that seem to be the best all around for trail driving and tough climbs?

Check out the pic - beautiful day!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Banned
Loony is on a distinguished road
Loony's Tacoma Gallery
how did you get license plates in a week ?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

AZDre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony View Post
how did you get license plates in a week ?
temp tag is in the back. Dealer said you can put the plates back on as long as the temp in the back still shows. In CO you can transfer your plates without getting new ones
Old 08-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Are you the one that just posted on the TW page?

Come check out our CO section!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Beads is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
Beads's Tacoma Gallery
Ditch the mud flaps (at least the fronts) or just wait to hit that really hairy spot that will rip them off for you. I scraped the bottom of my truck a lot before I lifted it and no damage was done. Just pay attention to the rocks and make sure you stradle them so they won't hit any vital components (differential, transfer case, fuel tank, etc.). It is suggested to not lift your Tacoma more than 3". If you go over 3", then you will have to invest in other componets such as diff drop, upper control arms, extended drive line, etc. Good luck with your mods. Let me know if you ever want to go wheelin' near your home town of Tempe.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #7

AZDre's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beads View Post
Ditch the mud flaps (at least the fronts) or just wait to hit that really hairy spot that will rip them off for you. I scraped the bottom of my truck a lot before I lifted it and no damage was done. Just pay attention to the rocks and make sure you stradle them so they won't hit any vital components (differential, transfer case, fuel tank, etc.). It is suggested to not lift your Tacoma more than 3". If you go over 3", then you will have to invest in other componets such as diff drop, upper control arms, extended drive line, etc. Good luck with your mods. Let me know if you ever want to go wheelin' near your home town of Tempe.
Thanks for the info buddy. Sounds like the front flaps will be coming off. I think I am going to go with a 3" pro comp soon so hopefully I can avoid any scraping of vital components...

Will do man, I need to road trip it back down... as soon as it isnt 115 degrees. You cant beat the summers up here (compared to AZ anyway) - winter will be a whole different story though... ha
Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #8

AZDre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Are you the one that just posted on the TW page?

Come check out our CO section!
Yeah I think so.. I haven't looked in the CO section yet though, thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
1. Scraping is ok. Dents or destruction is different. If you live in CO get under there and touch up the paint to prevent rust.

2. Ditch the flaps if you're gonna do anything moderate. Yes you will get more paint chips but it's not that bad IMO.

3. Do the lowest lift that will fit the size tires you want to run. The higher you go, the more problems you start to run into including CG. These trucks are very capable stock but a couple more inches are nice to have.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beads View Post
Ditch the mud flaps (at least the fronts) or just wait to hit that really hairy spot that will rip them off for you. I scraped the bottom of my truck a lot before I lifted it and no damage was done. Just pay attention to the rocks and make sure you don't stradle them instead put a tire on them so they won't hit any vital components (differential, transfer case, fuel tank, etc.). It is suggested to not lift your Tacoma more than 3". If you go over 3", then you will have to invest in other componets such as diff drop, upper control arms, extended drive line, etc. Good luck with your mods. Let me know if you ever want to go wheelin' near your home town of Tempe.
FIFY
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

AZDre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIZZLE View Post
1. Scraping is ok. Dents or destruction is different. If you live in CO get under there and touch up the paint to prevent rust.

2. Ditch the flaps if you're gonna do anything moderate. Yes you will get more paint chips but it's not that bad IMO.

3. Do the lowest lift that will fit the size tires you want to run. The higher you go, the more problems you start to run into including CG. These trucks are very capable stock but a couple more inches are nice to have.

Hope that helps!
Big help. Thank you sir
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Fire Pony/Stalking Horse
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
FIFY
x2 Don't straddle the rocks. You're supposed to try and make an attempt at putting a tire on the rock rather than straddling. Straddling can make you whack things underneath.

Mud flaps? I kept mine for a while but they'll just get ripped off anyway. One did so took the other off.

As far as lift, I don't know exact details on the second gens but the norm is usually about 3 inches. If you increase your tire size as well, the combination gives you a good amount of clearance.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
TACO CO is a glorious beacon of lightTACO CO is a glorious beacon of lightTACO CO is a glorious beacon of lightTACO CO is a glorious beacon of lightTACO CO is a glorious beacon of lightTACO CO is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Will
TACO CO's Tacoma Gallery
I did a 3" lift and 255/85/16 tires. So far I love it for CO offroading! I imagine the thinner tires wont do as well in deep snow or sand, but the increased height without having to trim sold me on skinny.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
WillT is on a distinguished road
WillT's Tacoma Gallery
Mud Flaps: I kept mine to keep debris from hitting the doors but I shortened them with some tin snips. Just marked a line about 5" up from the bottom and snipped them across and then rounded the corners. Still provides about 5" of mudflap to keep snow/ice/debris off the doors. I also shortened up the back ones as well.

Lift: I've got the pro comp lift installed from 4WP and I don't know if it was installed wrong or what (shop has looked at it twice and says everything is fine) but I get a lot of popping noises almost like the springs aren't seated and move around when I stop hard/accelerate hard/go over bumps like speed bumps and curbs/etc. For the money, if I had it to do over I'd spend the extra $200 and go with an OME 3" and have the guys at Toytec install it.

Rock Protection: If you can do it, spend the $500-600 and get some rock sliders. You can get weld on ones or bolt on (many of the bolt ons still require drilling holes in the frame for some of the bolts). Cheap protection for when you slide off a rock, pick the wrong line, etc.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
I like beer, I brew beer!
PS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rancher
PS78's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
FIFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
x2 Don't straddle the rocks. You're supposed to try and make an attempt at putting a tire on the rock rather than straddling. Straddling can make you whack things underneath.

Mud flaps? I kept mine for a while but they'll just get ripped off anyway. One did so took the other off.

As far as lift, I don't know exact details on the second gens but the norm is usually about 3 inches. If you increase your tire size as well, the combination gives you a good amount of clearance.
X3 i read the straddle the rocks quote and was like WHOAAAA!!!! please no straddle rocks, thats a sure fire way to make your drive line look like a candy cane and or damage the vital parts under your truck, put a tire on the larger rocks if at all possible, and if you can afford it the first mod you do should be rock sliders to save your rocker panels.

front mud flaps: REMOVED
Rear mud flaps: Trimmed down like 6 inches

Under carriage protection: if you can afford it and want to not worry so much get as much armor as you can handle under there!!
Lift: plenty of 3" kits available check out toytec for plenty of options
Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Fire Pony/Stalking Horse
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
No mud flaps more me because YOLO! jk. It does make my tires look bigger

Yes if you can save up, get some sliders. Great protection and eases your mind over a lot of obstacles.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You have some good advice here. Glad you discovered the A-TRAC makes the truck a super truck!

Place your tires on the high parts of the road so things don't hit the bottom (as much). Also crawl over the rocks, slowly... the 4WD and A-TRAC allows you to not need momentum like the Prerunners do, and it is speed that can cause damage.

Mud Flaps... say good by! They will snap off coming down on a rock or dropping into a ditch. Even heavy mud on them will rip them off the truck. I kept them on and replaced them on my 2005... a headache. I removed them from my 2010 soon after getting it (actually the first time one snapped off was when I was playing with the A-TRAC on the Welk Run). It's been 4 1/2 years and I see no special paint wear or gravel damage to the sides of my truck that you would think the mud flaps prevent.

Have fun!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
asuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud of
asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice and brave.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
Dont forget about your locker too. Night and day difference.
True... but A-TRAC also 'locks' (stops spin) the front as well as the rear... but automatically so you don't have any binding when you need to turn or need to turn it off, as you do with the mechanical locker. My '01 and '05 had the rear locker and my '10 has A-TRAC and the rear locker. A-TRAC is almost a night and day difference over the rear locker.