1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Skid plate advice? most universal?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by DSMJRV, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    I destroyed my stock skid within a week of owning the truck.. everything appeared intact so i just kept it as is beat to hell.. my last trip to pismo i bottomed out a few times and I noticed a radiator leak.. seems my stock skid was pressed right up against it and the impacts caused a small leak.

i can pick up a used stock skid locally for about 40 bucks, but i think i would be better off with a stronger aftermarket skid..

i eventually want to get a full plate bumper and skid plates going all down my frame rails, but that is expensive... i want to peice this together here and there and have everything bolt up and work together..

i dont know what bumper or slider i will end up going with, so for now what is the most universal and bang for buck skids i can buy?

Edit: opps meant to put this in 1st gen forum :/ mod help?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
  3. Aug 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    1 Bad FN FJ

1 Bad FN FJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hesperia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD
    Just pull out the credit card and eat it. You want all your skids to be even. That way you can slide over rocks. I have the original sitting in the scrap bin. It really isn't a skid. Toyota calls it a splash guard. Kevin

4. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    Seantoobs

Seantoobs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Tundra and 1985 Toyota Extra cab
    5100's on Tundra and the Whole enchilada with extra guac on the 85
    We'll I'm a second gen but found an all pro used on Craigslist...thing is super beefy and worth the $200 I paid for it!

5. Aug 13, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    1 Bad FN FJ

1 Bad FN FJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hesperia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD
    I had all pro, but ended up making my own for the tranny, and transfer case. Had a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum diamond plate laying around and built my own brackets so that it stretches from one cross member to the rear cross member, totally covering the rear cross member. Trouble with the allpro tranny cover is it is raised up close to the tranny. so you would slide over a rock with the front skid to have it become lodge under the tranny because of the rear cross member. Had a crawler box installed which added 8 inches to the total length, so I had to build a new transfer case skid for it. Now everything is even all across. Just got back from the Dusy, and everything worked as it should.

6. Aug 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    Tacoman503

Tacoman503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bump this thread. I need some advice as well. Looking for a skid plate that fits well with the all pro apex.

Products Discussed in

To Top