Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Skid plate advice? most universal?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
DSMJRV is on a distinguished road

Name: justin
DSMJRV's Tacoma Gallery
Skid plate advice? most universal?

I destroyed my stock skid within a week of owning the truck.. everything appeared intact so i just kept it as is beat to hell.. my last trip to pismo i bottomed out a few times and I noticed a radiator leak.. seems my stock skid was pressed right up against it and the impacts caused a small leak.

i can pick up a used stock skid locally for about 40 bucks, but i think i would be better off with a stronger aftermarket skid..

i eventually want to get a full plate bumper and skid plates going all down my frame rails, but that is expensive... i want to peice this together here and there and have everything bolt up and work together..

i dont know what bumper or slider i will end up going with, so for now what is the most universal and bang for buck skids i can buy?

Edit: opps meant to put this in 1st gen forum :/ mod help?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
Bud built
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
1 Bad FN FJ is on a distinguished road
1 Bad FN FJ's Tacoma Gallery
Just pull out the credit card and eat it. You want all your skids to be even. That way you can slide over rocks. I have the original sitting in the scrap bin. It really isn't a skid. Toyota calls it a splash guard. Kevin
Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Seantoobs is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Seantoobs's Tacoma Gallery
We'll I'm a second gen but found an all pro used on Craigslist...thing is super beefy and worth the $200 I paid for it!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
1 Bad FN FJ is on a distinguished road
1 Bad FN FJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seantoobs View Post
We'll I'm a second gen but found an all pro used on Craigslist...thing is super beefy and worth the $200 I paid for it!
I had all pro, but ended up making my own for the tranny, and transfer case. Had a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum diamond plate laying around and built my own brackets so that it stretches from one cross member to the rear cross member, totally covering the rear cross member. Trouble with the allpro tranny cover is it is raised up close to the tranny. so you would slide over a rock with the front skid to have it become lodge under the tranny because of the rear cross member. Had a crawler box installed which added 8 inches to the total length, so I had to build a new transfer case skid for it. Now everything is even all across. Just got back from the Dusy, and everything worked as it should.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Tacoman503 is on a distinguished road
Tacoman503's Tacoma Gallery
Bump this thread. I need some advice as well. Looking for a skid plate that fits well with the all pro apex.