Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Best aftermarket GPS for off-roading ?

Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best aftermarket GPS for off-roading ?

I current have an old Garmin Etrex hand-held, but all I use it for is retrieving the altitude and coordinates of my location. Lousy for navigation with such a tiny LCD screen.

I also have an inexpensive Tom-Tom with a color display that works pretty well for highway traveling, but it rarely recognizes forest roads that are not paved. It also does not show altitude or GPS coordinates.

What do you use, and why?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
surfermatt is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
surfermatt's Tacoma Gallery
iPad with cellular, no service needed.
Versatile, nice screen, many apps such as motion x work very well.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
TacoRando is on a distinguished road
TacoRando's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfermatt View Post
iPad with cellular, no service needed.
X2

I like the Gaia GPS app for iPhone. I just used for 3 weeks hiking through the Swiss Alps. Great user interface. Not sure if they have a version for iPad.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
RacecarGuy is on a distinguished road
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I use an older Garmin 60csx. Screen is small, but I can load multiple maps on the sd card and can get free maps off of gpsdepot. This lets me switch from street navigator maps to topo maps. I've been places where I don't get cellular service so my iPad/iPhone do not work all the time, but do have the nicest maps.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
EL JEFE 83 is on a distinguished road
Army: Veteran
Name: Jeff
EL JEFE 83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarGuy View Post
I use an older Garmin 60csx. Screen is small, but I can load multiple maps on the sd card and can get free maps off of gpsdepot. This lets me switch from street navigator maps to topo maps. I've been places where I don't get cellular service so my iPad/iPhone do not work all the time, but do have the nicest maps.
+1 THey don't make them any more but are worth it if you can find one. Better than the next iterations available IMO.

If you want to drop some coin get a Montana.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
surfermatt is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
surfermatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarGuy View Post
Certain apps such as motion x you don't need cellular service, however the iPads that have the capability of cellular service also have a GPS chip integrated. When your at home or anywhere with wifi you can select a map area, even topo or trail maps and predowload it into the iPad itself, then when you are anywhere, even the most remote of areas, the gps signal overlays your position on the map you downloaded.