1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using the Clutch Off Road Without Three Feet

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BudMan, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Sep 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    BudMan

BudMan [OP] knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    I haven't used the handbrake offroad. One day I'll use it as the poor mans locker when I need it. Starting on a hill, I let the clutch out slowly with my right foot on the brake. As soon as I feel the clutch start to grab I quickly switch right foot to the gas. I've started on some seriously steep inclines without any rollback.

2. Sep 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    u know, i just thought of this and nobody else said it either... kinda simple and dumb, but when i wheel, i slide the seat forward an inch or two.... this helps with my foot control alot. maybe try it if u haven't already

3. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:10 AM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    I do that too and I'm 6'3 with all the reach in the world. Moving forward a click and setting the seat more upright definitely helps

4. Sep 26, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    1 Bad FN FJ

1 Bad FN FJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hesperia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD
    I know what you are saying about slipping clutch and rock crawling. I have a 2013 double cab with the six speed. Finally got fed up with having to slip the clutch and had a Marlin 4.7 crawl box installed. Not cheap, around 3,000 installed, but worth every penny. Now I have regular low range, or I can have 4.7 low range, or I can engage them both, and have 12/1 lowrange. Makes idling thru the rocks so much better. Just hauled a load of rock thru the gate keeper in Big Bear, and idle thru it. The Jeeps hauling trailers had to be winched. Had Wayne at Rock Solid Toys in Huntington beach do the work. Stand up guy. Kevin:D

5. Sep 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    A crawl box is the way you avoid three feeting while wheeling!!

In all honesty, seat time is what you need. The more you wheel it the more used to wheeling with a clutch you will get and learn how to message it. Hand throttles dont really work, i had one on a jeep that was a stick and it confused me and my feet more than anything and i stopped using it. It came in handy for winching though.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  6. Sep 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    A lot of clutch work and throttle work is how to crawl slow. It's just hard no matter what. I have 4.88s, 35s and a much stronger clutch then stock and its still very hard to crawl slow. Practice practice practice. Find your release point and then use about 1" of the pedal going in and out of engaging while bumping the throttle a lot. It just takes the seat time. You'll get it. Check this video out and listen to the throttle work and imagine the same amount of clutch work. This isn't even "slow" crawling ......

Tacoma rock crawling at Turkey Bay: http://youtu.be/IvDU4894hDY

Also this one where I actually burned the clutch a lil bit ......

Tacoma attempting to flex: http://youtu.be/u0bDr_w3dug

7. Sep 26, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    1 Bad FN FJ

Member:
    Hesperia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD

8. Sep 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers

9. Oct 1, 2014 at 5:25 AM
    1 Bad FN FJ

Member:
    Hesperia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD

10. Oct 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    Very true, I stopped counting how many times i stall off road because I lugged the 3.4 a little too much.

As far as having to use the clutch to crawl is horse shit. It's not all that smart either, if your on the trail and burn the hell out of your clutch than your sol. learning to drive without it is key; yes you'll stall alot, but last time i checked it's way easier to change a starter than a clutch on the trail. The key is the correct amount of brake pedal pressure and throttle position modulation. Otherwise known as Brake Throttle Modulation, really simple concept but takes some practice to get it down. Essentially you keep your rig moving and alive with the throttle and keep it under control with the brake. Not sure if there are any YouTube videos but I know most 101 or intro off road training classes each it.

Products Discussed in

To Top