Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Air Locker vs E-Locker

Old 10-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Thelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud of
Army: 4ID
Thelgord's Tacoma Gallery
Air Locker vs E-Locker

Is there any real advantage to air locker over the factory e-locker in the rear axle? I see people switch out the e-locker for an air locker often enough, I am just curious as to why. Is the E-locker less dependable?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
smd3 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think they switch the elocker to air, unless they get a new axle too. I'm not sure ARB makes an air locker to convert the elocker 3rd.

The non elocker 3rd is generally regarded to be a bit stronger.

The elocker actuator can become unreliable if it's not used enough or gets contaminated with water.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Thelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud ofThelgord has much to be proud of
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Before you spend money... do a serious off road drive using the A-TRAC, as you have an Off Road 4WD. It 'locks' the front and rear automatically any time any one tire loses traction, is in the air, etc. Seems nobody thought my stock truck could get to Pancake Rock yesterday without lockers and sliders, skid plates, etc... Well, I didn't touch my rear locker once and no major damage to the truck... just driving skill, A-TRAC and Toyota quality.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
You cannot convert an e-locker to an air locker. For me I changed to an air locker when I upgraded my 8" to an 8.2" after blowing 3 ring and pinion sets. I could have bought the 8.2" with either but with the air locker it is either on or off. Not true with the e-locker. Sometimes I would have to move either forward or backwards for it to lock. I also added a front locker and I did want them to match anyways. A-trac is ok but nothing compares to a locker.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
The factory locker can be unreliable. I've seen most people swap the rear to match the front ARB they install.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
ARB's are absolutely AWESOME. We had two of them in our Jeep.

The one example I can give you......Imagine yourself attempting a pretty serious hill climb. You reach down and lock the rear (ARB). You get halfway up the hill.....and all 4 tires are spinning. No problem..... you reach down and flick a switch engaging the front ARB.....and now, you've begun moving again up to the top.

Nothing beats being able to engage that sucker in the thick of things....It's that good.
It's so good, it can kick your ass and get you into trouble.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
ARB's are absolutely AWESOME. We had two of them in our Jeep.

The one example I can give you......Imagine yourself attempting a pretty serious hill climb. You reach down and lock the rear (ARB). You get halfway up the hill.....and all 4 tires are spinning. No problem..... you reach down and flick a switch engaging the front ARB.....and now, you've begun moving again up to the top.

Nothing beats being able to engage that sucker in the thick of things....It's that good.
It's so good, it can kick your ass and get you into trouble.
Wait. You can engage the ARB while the wheels are spinning?
Old 10-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jkirkpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, in for an answer. Can you engage a arb while moving get? I thought you had to be stopped before engaging. Maybe I'm wrong? Just want to know, thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Unlocked, the left and right tires rotate differently in a turn. They must be matched to lock. When locked they both rotate the same, and that is why turning is difficult, binds, etc. on hard surfaces.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
SIZZLE is on a distinguished road

SIZZLE's Tacoma Gallery
You can engage either when moving but risk doing damage when spinning tires. ARB is stronger but if your tires are 35" or less it shouldn't matter. An elocker has never pumped fluid out of a diff FWIW.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I see no larger advantage between the 2. Sure the ARB is likely stronger but I don't think the difference is enough to warrant the cost to change between the two.

The elocker 3rd is considered weaker but in my experience I think the factory Toyota R&P is the culprit. I blew up 2 oem ring and pinions in a very short time and went to 4.88's and haven't had an issue since and I abuse my rig even more now than I used to.

I would not engage the lockers while spinning. I will engage my rear locker on the fly but usually not over 30 mph and I generally let off the throttle, hit the button and lightly steer left or right if it doesn't engage right away. (While going slower I will flat out drive in a circle if it doesn't engage).

I have an ARB up front and I usually stop to engage it or am going rather slow. I tried to engage in once doing about 20 and it made some awful noises. Haha