1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch trouble. No pulling power!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Ktaco, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Oct 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    Pics of your winch install?! You should update the other thread you started too.... Glad you made it happen.. :)

I used welding cable to relocate my solenoid and no issues yet, fwiw

2. Oct 29, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
  3. Oct 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a little FYI for the OP. Never ground the winch to the frame. The battery is grounded to the engine block, and the only thing grounding the frame to the vehicle is a small 8 gauge ground wire. Not good for the winch, or the wiring. Always ground a winch directly to the battery.

4. Oct 29, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    Got it hooked up the right way now. Was a long weekend and I guess I was trying to take a short cut.

5. Oct 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Are you trying to pull with only a little bit of wire out? if so you lose pulling power the more wire you have on the drum. Only the 1st layer (almost all line out) has max pulling, from there it decreases with each layer. I wouldnt be surprised if the top layer only offers 5500lbs of pulling force.

6. Oct 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well at first there was definitely something wrong. I think hooking the ground up properly has got it working like it should. I am only attempting short pulls, maybe 15-20ft max. I still kinda expected it to drag my truck easier than what it is though even with minimal line out.

7. Oct 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Where is this frame ground located?

8. Oct 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northside of Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma BAJA T/X dcsb
    Weathertech floor mats, Go Rhino Dominator II step bars, EGR in channel ventshades, homemade spare tire bed rack, hitch step, K&N air filter and cabin air filter, 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac's, Phillips LED headlights, Yellow Jacket yellow foglights, led back up lights, Mobtown tailgate stiffener, Wheeler's 3 leaf add a leaf, Firestone ride rite airbags, Bentrodders bed reinforcement stiffeners, PIAA windshield wipers
    How much line does the winch have? 80ft, 100ft.? Most winches are only rated "full pull capacity with the first wire/ rope layer out and drops 1,000 lbs. after each layer. An 8,500 lb. winch while a decent size isn't much for a truck like a loaded Tacoma (before suited for a lighter Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...

I use a 12k lb. Badlands winch on my '03 Ford Sport Trac that's built up and weighs right around 5,500-6,000lbs with gear and driver. You always want to have a winch that's rated twice the vehicle weight for those times when you have to pull a couple rows of line to get unstuck. Atleast that's what I've always rad and been told. My winch does dim the lights when it's in use and under load, it's always a good idea to turn off all unnecessary power draining sources when using a winch because of the amount of draw. The revving and holding of the engine at around 2k-2,500 rpm will help keep the current up through the voltage system, it won't affect the pull speed but rather helps the system keep the voltage/ amperage up in the range that's needed.

9. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It has approx. 100ft. I have only tried using it with about 15-20ft out so definitely wasn't getting full power. I think 8500lbs is sufficient as it represents a little over 1.5x the weight of the first gen. I will probably try it out sometime this weekend in a tricky situation to see if it will get me out.

10. Nov 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Those are great winches, to me it sounds like its pulling absolutely normally. An 8000 lbs winch won't drag your truck around with the brakes locked up super easy but should be a slow and steady slide with some groaning from the winch. I think you need to pull someone out and see what happens.

I pulled a lot of heavy trucks out with my xrc 8 and it never stalled, only dropped my battery voltage a ton! But it would groan and slowly pull. That's a lot of weight...

11. Nov 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Good to hear. I'm thinking I'll get to try it tomorrow as they are calling for about 30cm of snow. People tend to go nuts on the first snowfall so I'm sure I'll come across a few people in the ditch.

12. Nov 5, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Sounds to me like your winch is working as it should now. Go get some straps and pulleys which are way over rated for your needs and learn how to take the stress off your winch for tough pulls

13. Nov 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'm well aware how to rig up a winch for tough pulls. That's not what I was asking. To me pulling a truck with its brakes locked up on wet grass isn't a tough pull. As I said earlier though, maybe I was just expecting too much out of a 8500lbs winch. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't out of the ordinary.

14. Nov 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    So did you ever get to use it and see if it's better?

15. Nov 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Not since I've fixed the ground. I was expecting it to get some use this past snowstorm but no such luck.

16. Nov 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    It might be the angle here, but is there any clearance from the plate to the fairlead? If the cable is rubbing on the sharp edge of the plate, it will not only tear up the cable, but cause a lot more friction creating a seeming loss of power. I saw a good pic somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Nov 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    From the winch thread.

[​IMG]

18. Nov 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I cleaned the plate up a bit more after that picture. I was just test fitting the fair lead. I rounded the edges and opened it a bit more.

19. Nov 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    :thumbsup:

20. Nov 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Could the line be wound on backwards? I know winches are forward and reverse motors and there should be an arrow saying which way to spool the line but would it make a difference if the line was on backwards?

Products Discussed in

To Top