1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truetrac on a base 04 4x4

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by jimmyrig, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    jimmyrig

jimmyrig [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a 04 tacoma base model with 4x4
    I see lots of snow 5 months of the year. I'm considering installing a Detroit Truetrac for at least the rear. Does anyone have advice on improving the open diff in the rear?

2. Nov 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I installed one in the rear of my truck, and I really like it. Acts like a stock open diff on the highway, and locks up pretty good in low traction situations.

I've only did snow once, unintentionally, early last spring, and it did really well. I was by myself in the Sierras, without a winch, and encountered some unexpected snow drifts for a mile or so on the dirt road. I also aired down to 12 psi. It got me through just fine.

3. Nov 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    jimmyrig

jimmyrig [OP] Active Member

Member:
    If I could look into the future and was sure I would keep the truck I would consider a tt in the front and a locker in the rear. One wheel wonder is a bit lame.

I love this truck so far, total work truck! I've only owned it for a year but it's simple, economical and extremely reliable.

Part of me wants 16" five star wheels with 275/75/16 with a 3" ome kit. With traction mods!

Products Discussed in

To Top