1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trails and Garmin GPS units

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Explor, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Dec 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    Explor

Explor [OP] Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Ive searched and came up empty so here we are....
    Im looking into using a gps (in cab) unit to show trails , roads , in Ut , Co, etc.
    I have a Garmin GPS Map 62s but its kind of a PITA while driving because its small and hand-held.
    Does anyone have some experience with dash mount units that show trails as well as roads out west ?
    If so what are your recommendations on the unit and mapping software ?
    Ive looked hard on-line and there are many option's .... I just don't want to throw $$ at something that may be the wrong way to go.

Thank's for any use full help !!

2. Dec 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    Subbed for results, I was literally just doing some research on this. There is some good info on dezertrangers.com if you search but also a lot of the stuff on there is for gps on race trucks

3. Dec 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    I highly recommend an ipad, ipad mini, or android tablet with a good GPS app. iPads that are cellular data capable also have a true GPS antenna that receives a signal from GPS satellites and the Russian GLONASS satellites, so you don't need cellular data signals or wifi for it to work. My favorite GPS app is called Gaia, it's expensive ($20) but totally worth it. You need a wifi connection to download a large area of maps before you go out but you only need to download them once, which is free after you buy the app and then they are always ready. A $40 annual subscription gets you access to many more types of maps that you can also keep after your subscription expires if you have them downloaded into your ipad.

After using Google terrain and USFS maps with shading on an ipad with retina screen I could never go back to a tiny pixelated screen of a Garmin. I use an ipad that my employer issued to me but I think an ipad mini would be perfect for a GPS moving map. I also carry paper maps in case the ipad fails, but I have all of Oregon and most of Northern California downloaded into the ipad and it works great.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. Dec 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're talking offroad trails for your truck...not sure.

The handheld GPS's are far more adaptable and structured to loading various 'maps'. We have two handheld GPS's for geocaching and we load up maps of hiking trails on them along with the standard map (road map)

We also have a Nuvi... which, we can load geocaches in it as POI's. POI's aren't a 'map' but thousands of way points.

I highly doubt the Nuvi has that sort of capability because I know they are limited to their space and memory.

But yea...if you're looking for offroad mapping, you're better off getting something with call/internet access like an ipad or android equivalent.

For Geocaching...I can help you with that!

5. Dec 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Thanks Andrew ! But does this system you describe here follow you on the map, as in show your actual location on the map while using it for trail guidance ?
    Real Time ?
    If you could , elaborate a little more
    The price is not even a factor after I priced maps from Garmin ... !!
    I looked up the app and like it , but I'm getting the impression from what I read that I will need a cell signal which is not possible in remote regions. I'm not seeing how the iPad will pick up satellites?

6. Dec 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    Yeah , Jandy .... I use my 64s for geocaching myself .... To download maps is not that efficient, download - transfer to base camp - transfer to unit ....
    Then the screen is small. I would like and I'm searching for bigger views. Say your out n about , having a good time , are there other trails nearby ? Which fork in the road do I go for a side trip ? I want to see more , not be using the 4 way nav button .... I'd never get anywhere and then I'd get the shits of it and wind up saying "screw it" and throw it in the back. I do agree that it's one Handy Dandy unit while hiking or finding a cache , saved my butt from being lost or showed me short-cuts through the bush many of times!
    I'm just looking for something more user friendly while driving off road out west.

7. Dec 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
  8. Dec 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    I spoke a little too soon Andy .... I started reading reviews and this sounds very promising !

Any other ideas out there ?

I love this forum !

9. Dec 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    PBR Streetgang

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    Yes, it shows your exact position on the map in real time. The USFS and USGS maps are just digitized versions of the common paper topo maps and when you overlay contour shading on them they look amazing. You can zoom in and out as much as you need, but only as much as the zoom level you specify when you download the map at home with wifi.

You can download all the maps you want for anywhere you want but you have to do it in chunks just because of some software limitations, for example all of Oregon might be divided into 4-5 large chunks, but they are seamless when you use them. It's a totally amazing app and I use it every time I explore the boonies.

Do you have an ipad or android tablet? What about iphone/android phone? I use Apple devices so I don't know about android, but buying Gaia at the Apple app store makes it available on both your phone and your ipad.

10. Dec 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I have a Nuvi for my truck and a handheld for hiking. The handheld cant keep up with the speed of driving and its very frustrating trying to scroll around trying to find where you are because the processor and screen don't advance fast enough. You definitely need a Nuvi or something similar. For most roads the unit will recognize the forest service designation number and or road name but I often end up with "driving on road" as the display...how helpful :rolleyes: ...when on unmaintained or not often traveled routes.

I tend to have both my GPS and paper maps that I've printed out beforehand. Its nice to be able to compare the two to make sure you're on your intended route. The paper maps always seem to miss a side road or two. I have a site bookmarked at home that offers free downloads of topo maps for the entire US, if you'd like to have it I'll try to remember to post the link when I get home.

11. Dec 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    ptsube

ptsube Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB TRD Sport V6
    Just so you know, you don't need a cell signal in order to get a GPS signal. Two different radios.
    I mountain bike a lot and use a app called MTBProject. I can be way out of cell reception but still see exactly where I am on the map. I just have to make sure I have the maps downloaded on my iPhone. This could be different on the app you are looking at, though.

12. Dec 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    This is why love this Forum ^ !!

I down loaded the Gaia app onto my iPad as I like the bigger screen than the iPhone because I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. What I'm seeing so far is this is going to be just what im looking for. I entered my address which is rural , and just off the Appalcian trail. Showed me the whole area ... Roads , power lines , rails, pipelines and where the porcupines are !! I also downloaded "Maplets" which is alike but has a library of Maplets for the area you are seeking to explore. I'm feeling good here with the wealth of info you guys just shared ... Matter of fact ... If I was a dog , like BlackDog I would be wagging my tail !!
    I sure hear Ya Lisa ... The handheld is good for walking speed. I hate rolling around with those 4 way buttons !! After finding what your looking for your still nowhere *:(*
    I know it's a good idea to have paper but I tried that years ago ... What a mess , and I can't figure out where iam when lost , so I'm down to powered devices. I'm good at keeping them charged when power is available and very careful to minimize use when out of fresh juice.
    I have a RandMcnally GPS unit for the truck , had it long before the truck and it's like new so I use it to get from point A-B on roads ...never had it off-road trail wise. We are un-fortunate here in pa ... We're not allowed to drive the FS roads , most all are gated, locked, so I have to go out near one and see if the trail shows on the screen.? I would have liked the nuvi but the one I cared for was $352 ! Which is what brought me to start this thread ...I don't want to throw any more money around cuz I'm broke after reading this forum and modding a truck that I was perfectly happy with the day I drove it home from the dealer. I don't know what happened ... But I'm more Happy now ! Broke !

Thanks TXMXER ... I'm going to educate myself some more , always a good day when something is learned , so far today is great.

13. Dec 25, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    Yes sir ... I see that and understand that , without service you can't download so the maps are pre-loaded ahead of time. Maplets is super easy , although I haven't compared Maplets to Gaia yet , so which is best to me is unknown ... I will experiment *:)*

14. Dec 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    PBR Streetgang

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Jonek,

Do you have the wi-fi only iPad or the wi-fi + cell data iPad? I'm pretty sure that only the wi-fi + cell data model has a GPS antenna, so if you have the wi-fi only iPad then you will need an external GPS antenna such as the Dual XGPS150 or something similar that connects to the ipad via bluetooth.

15. Dec 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    On the Google store (android) I found GAIA GPS: Explore the UK for approx $20. Is this the app you guys are talking about? Not clear if they have maps for north America or not from the brief description

16. Dec 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  17. Dec 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    I have the iPad without ... Although it syncs with my iPhone and let's me recieve call and send text ... Not sure if that helps with the maps ? I'm seeing everything on the maps including my location ... Duh ... I don't know ! It's really tough keeping up with all this new technology and watching TV at the same time! Lol !
    When I go to airplane mode my location is lost

18. Dec 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    PBR Streetgang

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    I might be wrong but I don't think your wi-fi only ipad has an internal GPS antenna. It's getting position information for the map from your home wi-fi network if you have one, or a wireless connection to your phone, but it won't be able to get GPS satellite signals on its own. You could still get an external GPS antenna that connects to the ipad via bluetooth, but they cost about $100 and it's just one more battery-powered device to deal with.

19. Dec 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    Your right .... The tail just stopped wagging *:(*
    A new iPad is like $429 and then there is a $20 a month subscription... Not gonna happen

20. Dec 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    You don't need the iPad to have a data plan. You just need that version of the iPad so it is equipped with the GPS chip.

Products Discussed in

To Top