Notices

2wd in the sand?

View Poll Results: 2wd on the beach?
No problem 157 17.64%
Could have some trouble 535 60.11%
Dont try 198 22.25%
Voters: 890. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #261
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
edit: no voting unless u have something to say with ur vote, tired pf this thread popping to the top for nothing
LOL!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #262
808 Zombie Outbreak Tactical Response Team K9 Unit
DJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to all

Name: Sean
DJSPEC's Tacoma Gallery
in hawaii, @ 30psi, and in 2wd, i was driving along in the sand and started to slow down and started to get stuck, until i switched to 4wd and that pulled me out. I got a mini battery pump but was too lazy to air down. lol
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #263
bigeye227
bigeye227 is on a distinguished road

Name: Charlie
bigeye227's Tacoma Gallery
It's all about air pressure. About 15#. Clearance is pretty important as well. 2wd will work most of the time but towing on the beach on the east coast is expensive.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #264
JW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JW
JW87's Tacoma Gallery
Had to pull my buddys prerunner out with my ranger down in obx, but it might have just been user error.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #265
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The user didn't deflate... NOBODY needs to be pulled out... as with enough of the air removed (provided you didn't spin the tires until your frame was resting on the sand), you can drive on sand in 2WD. If the sand is mixed with coral or shells, it is more difficult to not sink into, and even with 4WD, deflating may be needed. With my Dynapro ATMs, 18 psi is the sweet spot. With Rugged Trails, 15 psi. If you have a mud terrain tire, or 3 ply sidewall tire, then 10 psi... which is about what a 2WD will also need to deflate to. Just don't steer sharp, or slam on the brakes when deflated! Have a good pump to air back up. See my link below on 15 psi in sand...
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #266
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how deep or soft the sand is I would take a 2wd out regardless of tire pressure. Some places its a moot point because 2wd's are not even allowed on the beach.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #267
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it a few times with my 4Runner. Got stuck ones. But had local braddahs that helped me push it out. After that. No more sand. Unless it's wet and compacted. Dry sand is a no go.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #268
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
That's why I would use my quad on the sand
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #269
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
I use my locker in 2wd in the sand for like 30 seconds.. and when the skinny pedal is not enough I flip the 4x4 switch..

soft sand and 2wd without low psi, large tires and a lot of power is not a good idea unless you have some 4x4 friends that dont mind pulling you out every 15 mins.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #270
top flight security
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery

2wd in the sand, highway tires lowered to 15psi

was good until i stopped to take a piss, then i couldnt get out lol
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #271
Ritchie is on a distinguished road
Ritchie's Tacoma Gallery
I have no issues w/ 5:29's, an ARB locker rolling on 285-75-16's @ 10 psi.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #272
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Question for you sand junkies...

Any time i am in sand and in 2wd, any wheel spin and the truck turns into a bucking bronco. Related to axle wrap I believe... Occasionally happens in 4wd as well. Just wondering how common this is for those of you who spend more time in the sand. I knows its terrible for the suspension and drive line.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #273
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
Question for you sand junkies...

Any time i am in sand and in 2wd, any wheel spin and the truck turns into a bucking bronco. Related to axle wrap I believe... Occasionally happens in 4wd as well. Just wondering how common this is for those of you who spend more time in the sand. I knows its terrible for the suspension and drive line.
It happens...you're right, I'm sure it's not good, I've found that you have to feather the throttle a bit to avoid it. There is a sweet spot tho, because too much and you'll just get stuck...better yet, if you can, air down and it will decrease aswell..
Old 04-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #274
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah. Seems worse with the springs weakening.

I've never sure down my tires. Ill have to test it out one of these days
Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #275
gnstpd is on a distinguished road

Army: Retrans Team Cheif
Name: Lee
gnstpd's Tacoma Gallery
I live in El Paso and I'm in the desert all the time. As long you don't gun it you should be fine but there is always Murphy. I just upgrades to new tires and have less trouble now. But I do get stuck every once in a while.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #276
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
Yeah. Seems worse with the springs weakening.

I've never sure down my tires. Ill have to test it out one of these days
Airing down your tires will prevent you from loosing traction in the first place, and the hop tends to stayin the tires since they're softer when aired down.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #277

Ya I find mine does it in certain snow conditions as well. Most of my offroad adventures don't entail enough sand to warrant airing down. But I am curious to try it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #278
Johnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Johnsredline's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 4x4 but do decent with just 2wd. but it totally depends on the type of sand. if your talking very loose sand, i wouldnt do it. but if your talking semi packed sand, like the flats in the sand dunes, you can do it if you know how to drive.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #279
Taco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
Just a bad idea...tried it on the east coast..Assateague Island.

Seen too many 2 wheel drive trucks stuck.

Luckily I have the 4WD
Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #280
Engineer
ajmartinez is on a distinguished road
Army: Former SGT - 3rd BDE 3rd ID (03-08), 11B
Name: Anthony
ajmartinez's Tacoma Gallery
just don't stop. pulled three cars (and an F250 4x4) out of the sand today because they didn't keep a move on.