2wd in the sand?

View Poll Results: 2wd on the beach?
No problem 157 17.64%
Could have some trouble 535 60.11%
Dont try 198 22.25%
Voters: 890. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #41
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
I was on the beach all weekend with my prerunner. Had no problems what so ever. Actually had to pull a F150 4X4 out of the sand bc he dug in too deep. Its really easy to drive on sand. And i have stock dunlop AT20 tires.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #42
fixedforbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

fixedforbroke's Tacoma Gallery
KEEP MOVING I didnt and got stuck when i took my 2wd through some loose sand... just make sure you're not in a situation where you will have to make an abrupt stop.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #43
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everyone for the confidence, im not going until aug but ill post pics of my taco enjoying the beach
Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #44
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
I am no expert on off roading and may be completely wrong but, aren't alot of those desert race trucks 2x4

yea but the beach sand is much different.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #45
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdopy3 View Post
Thats some good advice! Are you around OBX thats where I spend a lot of time and, that sand can get real soft in places!

I am down between Jacksonville and Wilmington. We have quite a few places that we can drive on down this way but its all nasty most of the time.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #46
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did read it, so what ru worried about?
X2.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #47
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
embarresment that what im worried about
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #48
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
embarresment that what im worried about
Then dont leave your room.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #49
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Then dont leave your room.
i might try that too
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #50
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is what 2x will get ya on the sand!

Granted I was power breaking to lower the rear closer to the sand!

Sweet pics!!! I'm assuming you are drinking beer? Two coolers full of them huh?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #51
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
couldnt he take some strips of carpet or 2x10s to help his tires get traction SHOULD he get stuck too?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #53
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
and take it easy on the gay and u should be ok
What if his gay likes it rough?
I'd suggest you go with someone the first time, till you get the feel of it. I see a few 2wd's on the beach, not many. I always run 4hi till I get close to the water.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #54
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I've only gotten my truck stuck on the beach once, and I drive soft sand regularly. Just use your head, air down and have some decent tires and you'll be fine.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #55

FWIW, A friend of mine used to run on the dunes and he would use old worn out street tires that he would buy for $5.00 each. He aired down to 5 psi, or less, and ran awsome.....I thought he was nuts untill I tried it my self. The guys I talk to that frequent the dunes say that a wide street type tire gives better flotation than a MT or AT on the sand.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #56

Quote:
Interesting? I know I take my MT down to 8PSI and a couple weeks ago I left aired up and had to use 4x4, so tire pressure is important!
No doubt, tire psi is the most important.. Personally, I havent tried an MT in the sand, but I know my BFG AT's sucked ass, even when aired down to 10 psi. If I wasnt jumping back and forth on hard pack, I would have gone down more. I was just throwing my experiance out there to see if anyone else had heard/done the same.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #57

Quote:
First I have heard of the baldie tire deal! The MT's I have now are not as good as the Yokohamas I had before, they are better in the mud but not as good on the sand, but @ 8PSI still run around in 2x.
Well, If you ever feel like it, and have some bald tires laying around...give it a try.
When I first saw your truck I wondered how those tires would do in the sand.. Nice to see that they work well.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #58

Quote:
They do well, and, its a good thing because my truck spends 90% of its OR time on the sand. Last year I would say around 45 days or so.
OT, but looking at your avitar....looks like that tornado hit Del?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #59
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
You guys saying air down the tires: are you supposed to air down all four tires or just the rear tires?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
You guys saying air down the tires: are you supposed to air down all four tires or just the rear tires?
All 4