2wd in the sand?

View Poll Results: 2wd on the beach?
No problem 157 17.62%
Could have some trouble 536 60.16%
Dont try 198 22.22%
Voters: 891. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
2wd in the sand?

Wanna take 08 Prerunner DCSB on the beach this summer but diff. do not want to get stuck, would be going with people that could get me out however couldnt deal with the embarrassment. Im on stock tires, and are there any tricks to make it slightly more doable.

edit: no voting unless u have something to say with ur vote, tired pf this thread popping to the top for nothing
Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
You're a sport on stock tires... I wouldn't even try to be quite honest...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 4WD at 30 psi on the beaches on the east coast with no problems. Never even close to getting stuck. I had my stock dunflop AT 20s. Hope this gives you some idea!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
2wd sport tires no problem here. Just didn't come to a complete stop....kept an idle going continuously
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
i just realized you are in VA, what beaches are you going to hit up?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 06 dc prerunner running stock tires with out locking diff and live on the coast of Nc and I don't, but it can be done if you have experience on sand but wouldn't recommend if you you have no experience. there are a lot of variables that you have to look out for if you try. low air, stay moving slowly, low rpms, stay on as hard pack as possible, keep as far away from preexisting ruts make sure you have a shovel and a tow strap just incase.

If you do go and you get stuck and plan on being towed out bu tow company have plenty of money they charge extra, but most people who are out on the beaches are pretty friendly and will oblige most of the time.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
wwjdweldingman has a spectacular aura aboutwwjdweldingman has a spectacular aura aboutwwjdweldingman has a spectacular aura about
wwjdweldingman's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2wd DCLB with an LSD diff w/ BFG ATs, and when i went out to glamis i was getting stuck left and right, even at being at 10psi, but it's all good fun you become a more experienced driver in my opinion! whatever you do don't stop (depending on how soft the sand is) always keep a constant speed and if your going to stop ease on acceleration untell you have a good momentum going. If your down by the water were the sands a lil. more compressed you shouuld be fine! Have fun playing with your truck on the beach that'll be a fun day!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I got to play in the sand at orgon inlet

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...best-part.html
Old 05-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
your 4x2 shouldnt have any problems as long as you're cruising and arent trying to climb any hills. def. lower your tire pressure, keept a steady speed, and dont stop on any hills.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everyone yea i go to OBX every year for a week, stay in Kill devil hills then ferry down to the inlet one day

the people i go with drive jeeps a cherokee and a commander usually dont put it in 4wd so thats why i was thinking i could do it

and ive heard tire pressure both ways higher and lower for the beach i could carry a little air compressor and use the plug in the bed to inflate
Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Just get different tires and air them down.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Just get different tires and air them down.
would i want a bald tire, or something with grabby tread like a mud tire?
but i dont want to but tires but i could check some used tire places but i would have to be able to drive 3 hours to the beach and back and at the beach
Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Burg to be honest I drove around oregon inlet at OBX with absolutely 0 problems with my stock dunlops. Granted I have 4WD bt I felt it was more or a ground clearance thing. The worst part is traveling down that stretch from the road to the beach. The sand is real soft and deep
Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
2WD in sand:

Its fun be lower your psi to around 10 and you'll be good
Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
yea i know but ill momentum going through that part i might try it, the prob is if i need help ill be with my gfs fam and her dad wont let me live that done for a while
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
haha ya once you get past that part it is really pretty easy. Although I did it in the beginning of march where there were about 15 people total. IT will be much more crowded.

On the flip side you can show him how capable your truck is!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
ill make sure i post pics which ever way it goes if i try im still not sure i will yet
Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
just air down ur tires and take it easy on the gas and u should b fine
Old 05-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdopy3 View Post
Dont listen to the poop man, he is trying to get you stuck!
shhhhhhhhh......dont tell him

and its poop "expert" not man