1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to keep the tail from jumping.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by tacoma love, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Mar 4, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    tacoma love

tacoma love [OP] New Member

Member:
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota tacoma 4.0 v6 prerunner edition
    32 1/2 bfg all terrain Procomp pro front shocks Mothod race wheels Cree led spot lights
    Hey. Im new to this forum and i have question. How do you guys keep the tail end of the truck from jumping up and down when off roading. Do i need to wiegh it down or get new shocks? Right now my back shocks are stock. The front end has procomp shocks pro off road.

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    OP - Could be a combination of issues you are having if the back end is bucking a lot.

Rear end could be too light for the valving of your shocks. You could be hitting the bumpstops, and bouncing off of them. Your tires could have way too much air pressure, making the suspension work too hard, etc.

Does your rear leaf springs have 3 Leafs or 4 Leafs total in each pack?

3. Mar 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
  4. Mar 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM
    tacoma love

Member:
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    32 1/2 bfg all terrain Procomp pro front shocks Mothod race wheels Cree led spot lights
    My tire pressure when im off roading usually runs at 15-20psi. It has 3 leafs but i dont have any bump stocks. The back end is stock. Im trying to maybe find some new shocks but i am not sure which to get to have a smoother right when driving through dips.

5. Mar 9, 2015 at 11:58 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Your first order of business is shocks. Some good ones. King/Fox/Sway Away/Icon take your pic. The moment you change those out take it back out offroad. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the major decrease in hopping around.

The next issue to alleviate is bump stops. The rubber bumps in the back allow for no absorption of impact so the moment you hit them they send the suspension jarring back to where it started.

You need a smoother way to allow the shocks through their travel range. You have so many choices when it comes to bumps, anything from polyurethane to polyfoam (which is IMO the best route if you can't afford the next) or air bumps. Depending on if you add an AAL or some sort of leaf spring replacement to the rear you will have to space out the bumps down further from the frame if you get a taller shock which allows for more travel. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I am always one PM away.

6. Mar 10, 2015 at 4:30 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What type of offroading are you doing? Fast dirt trails? Or rock crawling?

My first thought would be....slow down. Unless of course, you're trying to build a BAJA racer. Rock crawling and general trail riding (with rocks/hazards) will be done in 4Lo range and at slow speeds. Your stock shocks should work fine when at slower speeds.

7. Mar 10, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    He's going faster on the dirt roads. I remember when I was stock I was having the exact same problem. After the immediate switch out to my Fox shocks in the rear it was a dramatic improvement. The stock valving is not built with going fast on the dirt in mind.

The valving which was pretty darn good for me up until this point (I go higher speeds so I need better compression control) at least on Fox shocks was 30/75. I believe that translated to .008/.012

8. Mar 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    08silverTRD

08silverTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Newark DE
    I have sorta the same problem but I'm on pavement.

Everyday on my commute to work there are several pitted and rough roads, mainly entrance and exit ramps to the major highways. When I hit these I can feel the backend hop around, sometimes I can feel it in the steering wheel. The steering wheel will just jump around and at times it almost feels like I'm outta control. My girl also hates riding in my truck because of how rough the ride is. It seems you can feel every bump in the road.

I'm riding on the stock suspension. I was thinking of replacing my shocks this summer as I have an extra pair of stock shocks I got off craigslist a long time ago. I don't really want to fork out a lot of money on a brand new suspension and I only drive on asphalt with occasional treks on sandy beaches. I'm not looking for major off-roading suspension performance or a lift kit.

Any ideas what it could be? It's been this way for the past year at least. I'm the second owner of the truck and I feel like the first may have just run the truck hard.

9. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:53 AM
    tacoma love

Member:
    las vegas
    Vehicle:

What kind of fox shocks do you have

10. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:55 AM
    tacoma love

Member:
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    I dont have any bump stops and stock leaf spring. I was thinking in getting fox and eventually move up to kings but would i have to change the leaf springs if i get fox or any other rear shocks

Products Discussed in

To Top