Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Need info on Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park in Colorado

Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Need info on Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park in Colorado

My wife and I are planning a 3-day vacation in Estes Park, CO for our 1st wedding anniversary May 22-25. We would like to do some four wheel drive trails in the area and maybe some hiking, backpacking, and camping... Here is my loose itinerary:

- arrive in Estes Park around 7 PM on Fri
- stay in a "regular" motel
- Horseback riding Sat morning
- shopping/town stuff Sat afternoon
- stay in a "nice" riverside cabin w/ hottub for Sat night
- four wheel drive trail or backpacking Sun afternoon to remote campsite (preferably near lake or stream)
- camp for the night
- drive or hike out in the mid-morning Mon (preferably a loop trail so we don't have to come out the same way we went in...)
- head home Mon evening

possible add-ons:

- bear lake hiking
- day hiking
- fishing
- ??? any suggestions?

I'm interested in any information on any of the above.

It's been over 10 years since I've been to Estes Park...

Thanks in advance,

Troy
Old 05-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing in the way of 4wd trails in Rocky Mountain National Park... It's all protected wilderness area. There are dirt roads, but a 2WD car could make it up the ones that I've been on.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Nothing in the way of 4wd trails in Rocky Mountain National Park... It's all protected wilderness area. There are dirt roads, but a 2WD car could make it up the ones that I've been on.
In that case we would probably backpack instead. A 10-15 mile loop would be nice...
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
La Quinta in Estes Park is where we just stayed at on our last trip through. Estes Park is huge now... my wife hasn't been there for 10 years and she didn't recognize it. La Quinta is on the end of town past the lake. Their rates were plenty reasonable and they allowed pets. Forgot the big reason we liked it, but it was worth it.