1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Went to a 4X training class. What an eye opener.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by ERdept, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Nov 3, 2007 at 9:02 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did a class called Badlands Offroad, taught by a guy named Tom.

The class was very enlightening.

Never knew the 4X Toyota anythng was so capable. Learned that a lot was driver skill.

Tackled inclined, sleuces, ditches and declines that I never thought of trying.

I think it's beneficial to all, even those experienced.

2. Nov 3, 2007 at 9:10 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    That's a Toyota for you. Unparallelled reliabillity and phenominal offroad abillity.

3. Nov 5, 2007 at 9:28 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Thats sounds like a pretty cool class. How did you find it? how much was it? i could use some tips from teh pro's

4. Nov 5, 2007 at 9:34 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I used to be a firm believer in the bigger the better, thinking that my old dodge truck lifted with huge tires on it could stomp anything. But, then I went out 4x4ing with a friend in a 95 taco and he spanked my dodge, that was my enlightenment, that was about 8 years ago and I've been a Toyota advocate ever since. I love my Taco!

5. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:28 AM
    ERdept

Member:
    Here's the link.........

http://www.4x4training.com/

His name it Tom and he teaches full time. Students include the military, Forest Service, regular folks, BLM. Great guy and VERY knowledgeable.

Taught us things I never knew, such as...

When approaching a ridge you turn right. Why? This allows you to 1. Not go over and run over a cliff. 2. Not run over people. 3. Primarily allows you to see down the hill from the drivers side and not have loss of vision for your immediate area below the passenger door if you turn left.

How to put tow straps together so they dont set into a unremovable knot after towing.

How to use your high lift jack for many things other than the high lift and to use it a the "poor man's winch".

Walking up a hill (turning the wheels L and R) to gain traction.

How to approach ditches, inclines, etc.

He owned a Jeep but highly recommended the Toyota. He's hardcore and changed his diff to a Ford 9" and has a built in winch, compressor, airtanks, armor, unlocking sway bar for more articulation.

etc. etc. etc. Much info.

It cost me $50 as a co-driver. You get maps of Ca trails, tire deflation guide, large book on 4X gear necessary, survival, technique/

THE BIG THING: THE ONLY MODS A TOYOTA NEED TO DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHNG. Per Tom.....

Tire change to 33"

Mild lift of 2.5 inches.

THAT'S IT! The truck is amazingly capable.

6. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:55 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i like the part about the Toyotas being able to do anything with only two mods. I have a question though. What exactly is the benefit of a 33" tire over a 32", assuming they are the same tire with identical tread? is a one inch difference that big?

7. Nov 6, 2007 at 2:42 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Well,...

Nah, it's too easy. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I aspire to higher level humor. Insert your own joke here.

8. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    Ah, how could I miss the joke there?!?!

Funny dude!

Regarding tires, they say to deflate tires to 15 PSI. You get MUCH improved grip and conformity to shapes (rocks, letges, etc) and a larger surface area by at least 100%.

9. Nov 7, 2007 at 6:28 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Can you really run at 15 PSI without beadlock rims???? I thought for sure that 2/3 of sidewall pressure was the maximum drop before risking rolling the bead right off the rim?

10. Nov 7, 2007 at 8:17 AM
    ERdept

Member:
    You run a slightly higher risk of that, but that's why someone needs a compresor.

It is very unlikely to happen. A caravan of 10 vehicles drove all day and everyone was deflated to 15 PSI, no matter what car or tires they had.

They had this neat auto deflating cap. There was a set of four. You screwd one on and moved to your next tire. By the time you fininshed the 4th tire, the first was done. It automatically closed on 15 PSI.

Anyway, we had a group of 4 Toyotas including two FJ's, two Nissans, three jeeps, a f-150 4X. Driving all day in stuff we never did, no one lost bead lock.

They just all did their jobs. The jeeps really are capable. They all did fine. Some scraped bottom more because they didn't have a lift. The Toys, just seemed to do it all easier. Though all were capable.

Oh, as far as compressors are concerned. You don't need a belt driven on built in. The Autozone portable will do it, just s l o w l y.

Like I say. I learned so much that I never knew and think I never will know even if I just went out myself and had experience teach me. I notice when you do things like this, you do learn, but may also learn bad habits.

Good times.

11. Dec 7, 2007 at 2:43 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Some good info there! I have a 3" lift and 285 tires (32.8 so more or less 33") so I'm all set! lol

I also have an air compressor. Based on a lot of feedback from other wheeling sites I picked up one off eBay for around $50. Fits perfectly behind the passenger-rear seat, and when extended cables will reach the back tires. It'll work until I get my OBA setup figured out, parts acquired and installed.

DSCF0990_200778815b5d7ee1da0e11c75a90eeeb0db8507b.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Dec 8, 2007 at 5:40 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Sounds like fun!

You'd better hide your wallet.....going offroad for the first time, you've contracted a very serious disease that will haunt you for a very long time!!

Find yourself a local offroad club and get out there and have more fun!!

Always remember:
    Never go offroad alone! Have another vehicle/buddy with you....
    Never drink & drive!
    Don't litter! Keep the trails clean (and open).

As for the onboard air - another option is liquid CO2. I had a 20lb CO2 tank for years in my 96 tacoma. I then ran a 10lb in the jeep before going with OBA.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/General/LiquidCO2/LiquidCO2.htm

13. Dec 8, 2007 at 5:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There are a variety of different tire deflators out there....they're actually pretty neat. We have a set from Oasis. Once you get them set (to appropriate pressure) - you just screw em on and be done with it. You can actually drive the vehicle while they're airing down.

15psi is a good pressure to air down do. Lots of serious offroaders go down to about 8 or less. Rim width and tire width have a lot to do with how easy they fall off the rim. We run 15x8 rim with 35x12.50" tires and usually go down to 10-12psi and never lost a bead (on the jeep). The smaller rim sizes tend to hold beads better than a larger rim on the same width tire (did that make sense?).

_SQUATCH_ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top