1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My first recovery

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 8th sin, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    8th sin

8th sin [OP] Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    I happen to be fortunate enough to live in a somewhat strange neighbourhood. Back in the 80's when it was built, it was designed to be a community specifically for remote control airplane flyers. behind the neighborhood is a 125 acre piece of land, with a hanger, and 1/8 mile paved airstrip for luanching and landing the planes. Seems obvious to me, but there just aren't that many RC fanatics that would move to a community like this, so some time ago they just dropped the whole RC thing altogether and changed the name of the neighbourhood. They kept the land, but it fell into disrepair. Kids have ransacked the hanger and the cleared land is become overgrown with grass.

Fortunately for people like me, you can still get back there and there are some cool trails for ATV's and dirt bikes. Yesterday after work, me and two buddies decided to go back in there and see what there was to offer for a truck. We tooled around for about an hour and noticed a strange structure off in the woods. I drove over to investigate, only to drive directly into a ~3' hole.

Now I certainly don't have alot of wheeling experience, but this my friends was a viet cong boobytrap. The structure I was driving towards was a haggard ramp built for dirtbikes. It was built out of shipping pallets, plywood, and dirt. Dirt from the hole my front right tire was in. Someone had covered the hole with more pallets, carpet padding, and a helping of dirt and leaves. It was all but impossible to see in the tall grass.

Here are some pics of the hilarity:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We tried to push, but we were making zero progress. we quickly realized the one pallet I smashed through was keeping my front right wheel from rolling back wards. So the three of us went all chuck norris on the wood and cleared it out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You may not be able to tell, but in the first pic you can see that we were able to get it about 90% of the way out. Something was holding it up still. We tried every combination of weight distribution and pushing, but nothing. I'm only 2wd with no locker or LSD, so my back left wheel was just spinning, eventually lighting the plywood and carpet on fire. I ended up calling my gf over, who to great humour, pulled me out with her Ram :(

I was laughed pretty much the whole time this was going on. Not a bad Thursday....in my backyard!

2. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    HA HA :rofl:

3. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    TheSurvivalist

TheSurvivalist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Tampa Bay, FL
    '16 TRD OR Wheels, Cooper AT3's 265/75/16
    That's actually pretty funny.

At least your truck didn't get damaged.

4. Jun 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Good you kept your sense of humor :)

Man, fill up that whole before someone walks thru that and gets a pungee stick in their foot or something...

5. Jun 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    :mudding:

It Happens!

:D

6. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    damn thats some shit! it could of been alot worse! you could been nosed in, damn tank traps!

7. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    id could have been even worse you could have gotten stuck where nobody can get to you lol

Products Discussed in

To Top