1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Basic Off Road Set Up-???

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by rdwarrior, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Jul 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    rdwarrior

rdwarrior [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dirty, NJ
    pop and lock 5300, awaiting revenge fab sliders, leer topper, custom camping platform for bed
    Hey. I am looking to do some mild/moderate off road trails. I am fairly new to this and am looking for guidance. I would like to keep things fairly close to stock right now in terms of suspension. What are some recommendations for an off road set up?

I am looking for suggestions for the following:

Vehicle Recovery essentials

On board air- Is this essential?

Front Bumper- how much will a stock bumper hold me back?
    Any suggestions for replacement bumper?

Thanks.

2. Jul 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    The front bumper will not necessarily hold you back, but there are benefits to aftermarket bumpers. You can easily add a winch to them and what not. It isn't a cheap mod either.

For recover, check out this stickied thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/15254-off-road-tips-gear-list.html

and scroll down to "The Basic, Minimal Off-Road Checklist"

3. Jul 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Since I'm on topic, and I've been thinking these questions out too:

Is the stock front bumper a big hindrance on approach clearance? (I already know that most aftermarket rears have a lower profile)
    What order would you upgrade? bumper/skid/slider/etc?
    Regardless of manufacturer/make, is the stock tire size fine?

Even though the OP says he isn't going to do it, at what point do you begin considering lifts?

4. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Honestly?

If you guys are worried about approach & departure angles, then you should be thinking about a suspension lift first and foremost.

Putting aftermarket bumpers on will weigh the truck down a bit anyway and you'll need some suspension work to help hold that extra weight. Save your money and get a lift & some bigger tires down the road!!

Onboard air - not essential. You can have liquid CO2 for starters without spending a lot.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/General/LiquidCO2/LiquidCO2.htm
    Then later on, when you have time to research & $$, you can put an full onboard air system in.

If you're not talking about lifting ...I would highly recommend getting some rocker guards. These will protect your rocker panels - especially since you'll be lower to the ground. Good skid plates wouldn't hurt either to protect the underbelly.

Get yourself a good tow strap, a good recovery point, & a group of people to wheel with and have fun!!

You'll know soon enough...what you'll need for the next time.

5. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I ask because I didn't know if it was better to get the aftermarket bumpers first. My thought was you would be raising the bumpers up and adding in the benefit of some armor to boot.

I didn't think about the weight - thanks!

6. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I've got plans for outfitting my taco for wheeling, but as of now it is bone stock as far as tires/suspension/bumpers... I can still wheel anything around here aside from rock-crawler runs. They do very well even in the stock configuration. The front bumper is not a limiting factor but you'll need to be conscious of where it is so you don't hit it on something.

You are more than well equipped to run any trail considered mild/moderate. For anything more advanced you'll want: learn about adjusting tire pressure for various terrain (it will make your life much easier on the trail), get a cheapo cig-lighter air compressor to air up afterwards, bring a shovel and tow strap at least.

good luck!

7. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    a good set of tires and a lift is what I would do first.

8. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Also, the best time to get an All-pro or ARB bumper is right after you thrash the stock one.

Another thing is "wheelin' skill", knowing what to look for and how to get your rig through it without damage. I've seen a skilled driver get a stock suzuki Samurai through the Rubicon, and I've seen an unskilled (over equipped rig) driver get stuck in a rut I could probably drive a schoolbus through...

Plus it never hurts to get out and pace the section you're about to drive and pick your line beforehand.

9. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're gonna go the route of buying an aftermarket bumper - you almost have to get one that's winch compatible. It's not a lot of extra weight, but enough that it'll probably dip your stock front end downward. That's the last thing you'd want on an non-lifted truck.

If you're looking to protect the front-end, and this might be a cheesy suggestion so please pardon (it's a stepping stone). I had a WAAG front brush guard on my 96 tacoma for years before I went with an aftermarket bumper. It was cheaper than a bumper and I could care less how much I trashed it up..... it worked fine for years and I got my moneys worth out of it. You'll see the two bars in the front...
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/ToyotaTacoma/1996Tacoma/normal_124.jpg
    Sometimes people will add extra support brackets (custom made) to help make it more firm up at the lights.

10. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    You know, you just woke me up.

I'm sure I can shovel money at my truck and still drive the mild/moderate courses like a pure dumbass. I've already got myself scheduled to start meeting with my local 4x4 club (they are all jeep owners :eek:), I'll try learning/watching first before spending thousands to drive over a mole hill :p

I guess I'm just wondering how much I need to protect myself from myself - or... well maybe that came out wrong. Crap, I'm not explaining myself right. Hope you can make sense.

Sorry to pirate the thread - hopefully this just the OP more relevant stuff to read

11. Jul 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Since I already have it... is this usable for our truck's outlet? I haven't checked to see if it would overload the truck, and I haven't figured out a way to secure it up

[​IMG]

12. Jul 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    rdwarrior

Member:
    Dirty, NJ
    pop and lock 5300, awaiting revenge fab sliders, leer topper, custom camping platform for bed
    thanks for the info everyone. I def think i will purchase recovery straps, receiver with shackle. I was thinking a high lift also so i could pull myself out if needed. I think i will hold out on the bumper. Sliders are something i am seriously considering. Not only good off-road, but prevent a-hole jersey drivers from denting my truck in a parking lot. I think i will also go with a portable air system.

13. Jul 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    rdwarrior

Member:
    Dirty, NJ
    I looked at this but didnt scroll down far enough! That provides a lot of info, thanks

14. Jul 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a good start. Since this is the first truck I've had without a winch (yet) I got the Hi-Lift winch kit (turns the HiLift into kind of a come-along sort of) and 20' of extra chain. It's a really slow/laborous process but it works great. And since I've got the stock bumpers and no sliders (also another good reason to get sliders) I got the Hi-lift wheel lift gadget that has 2 hooks that hook right into the wheel to lift up a corner of the truck, works great; this thing is useless for changing a flat unless you bring a jack-stand too though, more of a recovery aid.

I can easily justify getting sliders before a front bumper...

Products Discussed in

To Top