Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Manual or automatic?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
SoTexTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Adrian
SoTexTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Manual or automatic?

Looking into the 4WD capabilities of Tacomas before I decide which Gen to get. What people think of the Auto Lock Hubs vs. Man Lock?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
ive always liked manual personally, but sometimes it can be a pain when its freezin cold outside and ur hubs wont turn. it is nice to have auto, but i can always trust manual
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
i've never seen one where you lock the hubs, how do you do that?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I prefer manual, but auto is convinient. The last 4WD I drove was an 01 XTerra. It never had a problem with the auto hubs, but my 84 Suburban went through 2 autos before I put manuals on it.

Manuals are just more reliable.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
SoTexTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Adrian
SoTexTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard a lot of the same things about domestic auto makers.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
For a daily driver.....I'd rather have the *shift on the fly* 4WD setup (auto hubs). Both my tacomas had auto.
I wheeled my first tacoma a lot - and never had any problems with the auto hubs for all those years of wheelin.

On the other hand.... my Jeep was built specifially for the trails and it has D44 and we installed manual hubs. I wouldn't have anything else for it. Besides the fact that the axle shafts vibrate when they're turning all the time (nature of the beast) but the fact that you can disconnect one front wheel while the diff is locked up (in technical rock crawling situations). I have Warn hubs and you can buy hub diffusers that are designed to break before a u-joint (tacomas don't have u-joints in the front axle shafts).

So - it all depends on what you're using the truck for.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
The older tacoma's had manual hubs. I think it was either an option or came only with specific trucks. A friend of mine had a 99 Regular cab w/ manual hubs.

It's a dial on each front wheel that you turn to 'LOCK' or 'FREE'

'LOCK' simply means the wheels and axle shafts are connected together and turning together. This also means the inside of the front differential is turning also.

'FREE' simply means the wheels are turning but not the axle shafts. The front differential is not turning.

Vehicles with Auto hubs - the shafts/wheels are always connected and always turning together along with the inside of the diff.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
right now all i have to do is turn a knob and i'm in 4wd. But manual locking hubs you have to actually get out of the vehicle and twist a knob on the hub to lock it and unlock it. you have to do it to both sides. its a pain but if i had a machine for just off road use i'd want it since its more reliable. In a vehicle with manual hubs you can put your vehicle in 4wd but the front 2 wheels wont be turned by the motor until you lock the hubs. For an occasional off-roader automatic is fine though
Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #9

with as much as i thought i knew about cars, i'm surprised i've never heard of that before. then again, i know about go-fast cars not get-dirty trucks lol
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I offroad whenever I can and no problems with the auto hubs. blew out the front diff, but no problems with the hubs.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I offroad whenever I can and no problems with the auto hubs. blew out the front diff, but no problems with the hubs.
then off-road your way down to NC for the taco meet bro, 3 days of trails, mud, and taco bell..woot...oh and fishing/beer too
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
When is that again? Still unemployed so maybe I could get away from the snow for a couple days.... lol
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
When is that again? Still unemployed so maybe I could get away from the snow for a couple days.... lol
april 25th-27th, Uwharrie national park in NC...it's been about 4 degrees here for the past couple days, including today, and sunday it's supposed to be 52 lol....damn illinois