Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Recovery Formula...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Recent recovery from this weekend:

Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #42
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Looks like some fun trails.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #44
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
In the first section of your post, a vehicle's weight is the force perpendicular to the ground no? Since you're on a hill, "Grade Resistance" will not be the same as the vehicles weight, because the hill is not perpendicular to the ground. As such, the steeper the hill, the closer the resistance approaches the vehicle's weight.

At least that's how I understood it from my physics classes, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Well Im glad someone out there takes the time to conduct such an equation before begining a recovery. I have never had to deal with some of the pictured recoveries as seen here but I have had the opportunity to pull a few mud engulfed vehicles out, including myself on occasion. I understand the risks involved with such recoveries but I have never really used such an equation to adjust my winch techniques accordingly. I generally base most of my techniques on common sense and my basic knowledge of physics however I will take what I have just read and utilize this information on my future recoveries.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #46
gtaz67 is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
gtaz67's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post
So if the train leaving Chicago on track 7 at 55mph is heading towards Omaha.....
How many stops for hot dogs would you like to add to the calculation?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #47
552Jrider will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeremy
552Jrider's Tacoma Gallery
this is a great and safe way to recover a vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #48
MisterM70 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
MisterM70's Tacoma Gallery
Talking How is this not the most subd?

I have found the OP's original post extremely helpful and wanted to learn more.

I recently was scouting a trail head solo and got stuck. I still had cell reception and read this thread and and also downloaded the full army recovery guide FM20-22
https://archive.org/details/Fm20-22V...veryOperations.

I have a TJm stealth 9000 winch, 4 shackles, tree strap, snatch block, synthetic sling, 100' extension strap, Hi-lift extreme and a snatch block. All brand new, never used other than the winch that was used once to pull a pre runner up a hill.

I probably could have figured it out with out this info...but after attempting to use my hi lift and straps to pull me backwards, off a ledge (front of truck on sliders/belly front tires off ground) I quickly realized there was a major resistance issue that I would not overcome without mechanical help.

Reading this article, doing some math and designing a proper rig and I was back on 4 wheels and moving forward.

Anyone going off road should have to understand these principles and pass a test prior to heading out.

Thanks again Tacoma world and cell reception.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #49
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
THANK YOU for this thread; I read the whole thing. However, I think the question of baseline resistence on flat ground needs to be futher addressed.

Why is the baseline resistence assumed to equal the weight of the loaded vehicle? This seems overly conservative (i.e., at 90 degrees (verticle) this would be an accurate calc. but on flat ground it would not be). Why not start with 10/20/30% of loaded vehicle weight as your baseline and then add in mire and other resistence adjustment factors?

Please help me understand.

My current winch is a hi-lift...which is rated at ~5000 to 7000 depending on the tackle you have. I'm going to go search hi-lift recovery threads.

PS - what about rocking back and forth, suddenly slipping off/into ledges, jolts, etc....I would think inertia would come into play here but...
Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #51
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
how does one unstuck from sand on say beach or dune without burring my spare tire or a pullpal????

got stuck real good on my way out of beach yesterday morning...
i was fucking around in 2wd in some sugar and then i went to flip it in 4wd and i couldnt get out and i got out n looked and i was bottomed out big time all around....
thank god there was one small tree about 150' out....so i winched
but in the future......id like to make it easier....
yes i know i could have aired down and stayed in 4wd and this would never of happened
i thought i saw someplace something about 3 pieces of re-bar?
but idk
any ideas that are proven
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #52
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pullpal??

K just googled it nevermind.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #53
VA6DCO

I've got one of these. Got one a long time ago when I was a rookie 4wheeler. I have no sand or loose enough soil around these parts though.
Recovery Formula...-ground-anchor-3.jpg
Being that I just googled a pull pal clearly you don't want this.

A hilift jack and some traction pads would probably work.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #54
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
I've got one of these. Got one a long time ago when I was a rookie 4wheeler. I have no sand or loose enough soil around these parts though.
Attachment 244678
Being that I just googled a pull pal clearly you don't want this.

A hilift jack and some traction pads would probably work.
what is that?
u want to sell it?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #55
VA6DCO

The thing weighs a ton. It would cost more to ship than its worth. They are kinda cool though with a couple different ways to use them.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #56
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
The thing weighs a ton. It would cost more to ship than its worth. They are kinda cool though with a couple different ways to use them.
U ever used it?
How much was it
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #58
VA6DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
U ever used it?
How much was it
I probably paid $150 to $200 for it. I tried it in gravel and couldn't get it to bite very well. They are said to work great in sand. Very little sand around here though.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #60
Esckay has a spectacular aura aboutEsckay has a spectacular aura about
Name: Sean
Esckay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcTEAlGEtK0

great little recovery nugget and Tire Pressure is key in any off roading sitituation
Great video. Than
Thanks for posting.