1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Road Parks...what's involved in starting one?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by ItalynStylion, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jul 25, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Kinda an odd thread, so yeah...sorry

I'm looking for input from you guys who have been to a couple off road parks on a regular basis. The idea of starting an Off Road Park recently piqued my interest but I'll fully admit that I've not been to an organized one. How much do most places charge for the day? Are most of them just open tracts of land with trails or do some of them have built features? Other than a fence around the property what other stuff is there at these places?

I'm sort of trying to get an idea of what is involved in a venture like that. Seems like it would be a really great thing to get organized in my area. I'm really looking for thoughts and ideas from all of you so this thread is totally open to discussion.

2. Jul 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    $20 a day isn't bad in my opinon, depending on how long you are able to ride. What I mean is if there is enough area to roam without hitting the same one twice. I have been to a few on private property where only clubs and their members are allowed, these were just maintained by members. What I mean is that they made sure the trails were passable, Cut low hanging branches and such. Installed a bridge or 2 for when water levels were too much.
    Now you know if you open one up TW members will have to get a discount, lol.

3. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah, I'd want to keep it pretty usable and not too hard core. I'd definitely keep it up. How many acres do you think would be enough for roaming area? I'd imagine that some sort of water feature must be present :cool:
    Pshhh, not only that, if I do this we'd have TW meets and BBQ's out there!

4. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    Y0TA

Y0TA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Central MT
    Vehicle:
    05 BLK TRD Sport 4X4
    Don't forget about some camping spots

5. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Whew some Shit I went to a place in Baton Rouge that was 30 Acres and we had a blast. Different trails that intermingled. Teh larger the better obviously but work with what you have. as stated some camping spots and a large parking area for trailers and vehicles to park and get ready. Some showers and maybe a place to rinse off your rig depending on that how muddy your area is.

6. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And don't forget about the business end of things. You'll probably need a permit and/or incorporation of some sort, liability insurance, a small office/shed on the property as a "ranger station", some sort of rescue rig for folks who aren't properly equipped or have accidents.

I'm sure you could make a buck or two selling basic food and drinks, maybe a small off road gear shop...

Some "developed" camp sites and stuff would be cool but could certainly wait.

I think I got way more in depth than you really "need" tho.

7. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    A nice litte Gear shop would be a great idea. I kinda busted up one of my straps in Arkansas. Let some others borrow it, not sure what they did with it but now its integrity is questionable. lol.

8. Jul 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...There is a motorcycle track about 4 hours east of me. They have a 2 miles of track surface on approx 80 acres of land. And have all the stuff I mentioned before. They have a small gear shop with consumables and common items (tires, sliders, fluids, brakes) and they rent leathers.

Only open on weekends (Friday evening for set up thru monday afternoon riding)

9. Jul 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    Just look at this website for ideas. Even though this is in Florida and hills and rocks are uncommon it will serve as a good template for you. Just remember, no matter who comes to your park they need to sign a waiver so you dont get sued incase of an emergency!

http://www.redneckyachtclubfl.com/

check out the drive-thru wash, bad ass!

Products Discussed in

To Top